Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Do ALL babies get "stranger danger"? And when?

LO is 6 months and is the friendliest, happiest little guy.  He can be passed around endlessly from family member to family member and never makes a fuss, just smiles at the next person who holds him. I'm wondering how long this will last, if maybe he'll get that "stranger danger" I've heard about and not be so willing to be passed around like a hot potato or approached by strangers.  Is it inevitable or do some kids stay laid back about new faces?

(Same birthday, 2 years apart!)

Re: Do ALL babies get "stranger danger"? And when?

• It's normal at 6 months to lack "stranger danger." It'll appear around 7-10 months. I don't know if ALL babies get it, but it's a perfectly normal part of development. It's a component of attachment formation where babies begin to differentiate between their primary caregivers and strangers. 
  • According to my mom, I never got it. I was a little too friendly a lot of the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO has never had it so far. He's 9 months. Loves everyone...I sometimes wonder if he even cares it's me or not! Stick out tongue
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers JAN09-Oct09: TTC Naturally. OCT09: HSG- Normal NOV09: Round 1 Clomid 50mg CD5-9= BFN DEC09: Round 2 Clomid 100mg CD5-9= BFN JAN10: Round 3 Clomid 100mg CD3-7= BFN FEB10: Round 4 Clomid 150mg CD5-9= BFN SA= 120 million, 54% Motility, 7% Morphology. JUN10: Round 5 Clomid, IUI, unsuccessful. JUL10: DONE & FED UP. OCT10: Started Integrative Reiki Energy Therapy. NOV 05, 2010: BFP! SEPT 20, 2012: BFP! More Reiki and Baby Z #2 is on his way! Due May 29, 2013
  • my son has shown signs of this when we were at the dr, he was ok if the dr wasnt close but as soon as the dr started approaching he bottom lip would start quivering and then the tears started rolling. The week before that it was my sister and her family he had an episode of this but he wasn't feeling good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It just started showing up with my baby and she will be 7months old next week. She is still happy as usual, she just likes to be held by me and then interacts well with other people.  It came all of a sudden though!
  • imageStrikeGirl:
    My LO has never had it so far. He's 9 months. Loves everyone...I sometimes wonder if he even cares it's me or not! Stick out tongue

This is us, too... we'll see if it lasts!

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Mine started having it big time recently and she's almost 9 months.  From 6/7 months on, she was ok being "passed around" as long as she could see that I was around.  She stopped smiling at strangers around then too.  

Now (within the last week), even with some of her daycare teachers she cries when I leave her.  And she prefers me to DH.  Not to the point of crying but to the point of wiggling out of his arms.   

Here's hoping it ends soon b/c it it breaks my heart to hear her cry :(  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • None of my kids really went through a stage of making strange.  It was great but a little unnerving when we went out.  DD would have walked away with just about anyone when we were in the mall and once at Disney, when she was 2, she sat down at someone else's table to ask them if they were having fun.  Cute but we were always worried that something could happen to her.  DS #1 was a little more cautious but would also talk to anyone and everyone from day one.  So far, our new LO has a similar personality.  I should also mention that DD didn't go through a period of separation anxiety either...she was independent from day one!    So no, I don't think all babies go through that stage...mine didn't.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Daycare just told DH yesterday that DD started getting this. She is fine as long as DH and I are around, but she is weary of new people holding her. If I am holding her, she is all smiles to everybody.
    My Chart

My Life

BFP 7.7.09 - CVS 9.10.09 (Girl) - 9.24.09 Severe Fatal Malformation - D&E 10.7.09 @ 17wks
    BFP 6.1.10 - 6.10.10 Ectopic M/C @ 5wks
    BFP 10.26.10 - 10.29.10 CP
    BFP 1.30.11 - CVS 3.28.11 (Girl) - EDD 10.11.11 - Born 10.6.11
    BFP 12.18.12 - 12.20.12 CP
    BFP 3.18.13 - CVS 5.21.13 (Girl) - EDD 12.2.13 - Born 11.24.13
    BFP 6.10.14 - CVS 7.2.14 (Girl) - EDD 1.12.15 - Born sleeping 8.6.14 @ 17w5d
  • DD never really had it.  I mean, she definitely knew who her favorite people were and the older she gets, her reactions are a LOT friendlier towards people she knows vs. strangers.  However, she never went through a period of freaking out with new people and/or when I wasn't around.  She's always done well with new people, even leaving her at the gym daycare. 

DD february 2010 | DS october 2011

*please excuse my typos, bumping from my iphone*
  • Im not sure if this answers your question or if it pertains to the subject but my 8 month old grandson has ALWAYS been afraid of others. We have raised him since birth and have permanent custody. We dont take him many places and we dont have a large family. What family we do have hardly come around. The sad thing is, he is terrified of his " parents " WHEN they do see him, which is not often, he SCREAMS! His mother verbally/mentally abused him for his 1st 10 days at home with her before we grabbed him and a lawyer! In the beginning, he threw a fit while she tried to hold him.Now, he is older and it takes time for him to trust strangers. I have a friend that comes by every week or two. He has begun getting use to her but thats after she gets down to HIS level, sweet talks him and plays with him, Then he is ok. His mother last saw him in March and he cried for the first 15 minutes. With my comforting and help, and staying by his side, he warmed up a bit. So, I do believe they come out of it with time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"