Pre-School and Daycare

Where do you buy a birthday cake these days?

I'm looking for a ballerina-themed birthday cake. I checked our grocery stores and all their cakes are princess/Disney themed. Any idea where I can get a normal cake? I'm hesitant to try a small bakery because the last time I got cupcakes (three dozen - for businesses) it cost me $90. Any ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Where do you buy a birthday cake these days?

• 2Gma2Gma member

Super Target? Dairy Queen ice cream cake?  Can you try talking to the pastry chef/baker at the store and see if they will do a special request?  maybe find a decoration to use as a topper and make your own cake/cupcakes? buy/rent a cake pan that fits your theme (Michaels?)

I used to buy cakes for birthdays but wasn't happy with overall taste so now I have the grandmother's make them and add my own decorations to the top.  They enjoy baking in general and always want to help.  The cakes may not be as pretty but at least my kids enjoy eating their cake now.

DD#1 5 years DD#2 3 years
  • I have been making cupcakes and just putting toppers on them. Could you find a ballerina figurine of some kind to top a tiered cake?
  • Loading the player...
  • The Super Target near me will make just about anything.  They even do the awesome Barbie doll cakes.  I would go and if you have a picture of what you want, bring it with you.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Thanks for your ideas. I asked at two grocery bakeries, and they were unable to do anything other than the stock cakes. I can just do cupcakes with toppers, but I'm really wanting a beautiful cake! I will ask around and see who I know who might be able to help.
  • I would look around at local bakeries.  I found one through reviews on Yelp with really good cakes that aren't much more expensive than grocery store cakes. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • I had considered this theme for my kiddo and found tons of easy, do-able things on pinterest. You can make/buy a round cake and put a tuille skirt around the cake stand. These cupcakes were cute: https://pinterest.com/pin/89790586290338738/. Sorry i dont know how to make this a clickable link on ipad. Or you could dress up the cupcake table/display: https://pinterest.com/pin/89790586290234548/. Here's another party example (more than my talent allows, but has some good ideas): https://pinterest.com/pin/89790586290234587/

Just some ideas to look at. The cake doesnt have to be difficult in this case because you can dress up the area around it. Hope this helps. Post some pics afterwards! :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My grocery store will scan any image you give them and print it on edible paper (made of sugar) that is then stuck to a sheet cake and decorated.  Check other grocery chains.  Lots of places do this now.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • image-auntie-:

Beautiful is going to cost $.

This a million times over. A custom, hand-done, beautiful cake is not going to run $30 unless you have a neighbor/friend who does them on the side. Good bakeries don't stock frozen cakes that the employees just slather with frosting (like most grocery stores), they bake on-site and will take the time to make the cake look the way you want it, not the way the instruction packet says. 

Fancy piping and fondant are not done in two minutes like a regular frosting job. They take time and effort to do correctly, and anything that takes time costs money.

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm a cake decorater for walmart and we actually carry a cake with a ballet slipper topper at my store.  You might want to check around where you live.  I think the topper is made by a company called Decopac.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We have to make our own because DD is allergic to peanuts/tree nuts.
  • costco sheet cakes are $15 and delicious!!!! They don't have a huge selection of images, but there's a princess one that you might be able to use with a ballerina theme.  I think Sam's club has a better selection of immages, but their cakes are only cake and frosting, where costco has a layer of mouse inbetween the cake.

• I have doen the expensive, bakery cake/cupcakes until this year.  I did Sams cupcakes for Emerson's party and they were better tasting than any cupcake that I have ever had.   it was like 14 bucks for 30 cupcakes. They weren't gorgeous but, they were delicious and 3/4 yr old do not care what they look like.
  • image-auntie-:
    Forgot to add. I buy mine from a woman who does cakes out of her home. I found her through a friend whose wedding cake she did. Often places like craft stores that have Wilton instruction have business cards for such people.

Me too.  I found out about this lady through word of mouth when looking for a PacMan cake for my husband's 30th birthday (80s theme) and no one would do it because of copyright.  Since then, she is the only person I have used.  Her cakes are amazing, taste good and are much cheaper than through a bakery.  Here are a few of the cakes she has done for me:

imageimage

Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"