September 2012 Moms
Options

Carrier for a large man?

My husband is TOTALLY committed to baby wearing, but he's a big dude.  He's 6' about 350 pounds.  He's in the process of losing weight, but I know he won't have lost all he wants to lose by the time the baby is here.  I'm looking at the Kozy Carrier because they have x-large straps you can pay extra for.  

Does anyone have any experience with larger carriers? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Carrier for a large man?

• Options

I would go for a long woven wrap. Woven wraps are great because you can wear them a bunch of different ways, they are supportive from newborn to toddler, and it doesn't matter as much what size you are (as long as you get a long one). I don't know a ton about them, but you could go to the baby wearer to get more info.

I would try to find a store to have him try on the Ergo with extender just to make shape. Girl bodies are so much different than boy bodies, but with the extender it was tight on my friend who probably weighed about 240 at that point.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Kozy is a Mei Tai style Carrier. Many MTs, especially custom made MTs offer longer straps for larger parents or different style carries.

Personally, I believe Kozy and Baby Hawk will not be long enough even with + size straps. (I feel that the BH xlong straps are adequate and I'm 165 and 5'6" PP)

I really love Kinderpacks. KPs are Soft structured carriers that attach with buckles in place of ties. The adj. infant size will fit newborns to 30lbs while being able to cinch the waist when baby is ready to go legs out. You can find them used on TBW (www.thebabywearer.com), or buy new from her website and choose custom options (such as plus size straps that according to her FAQ "Plus size: sz 18 and up (24" straps)- great for large busted women, and tall men')

https://www.kindercarry.bigcartel.com/

You can always go for wraps too! I would suggest a size 7 or (hard to find) 8. Off the top of my head, a size 7 is 5.2 meters. A gypsymama/wrapsody Bali Baby Stretch is a fantastic choice for a first wrap! (A BBS is one size fits all, but easily about a 7) It is stretchy yet lightweight and really forgiving for newbies. Again you can buy used at TBW or new through a multitude of sites. I bought mine from https://www.quirkybaby.com/wrapsody.html  and was really pleased with the transaction! You can do many different carries, so hubby size won't necessarily effect his ability to wear baby. The beauty of a wrap is the versatility but the trade off is the learning curve. It becomes second nature after practice but it does intimidate some parents!

The very best way (IMO) to learn to wrap well is to go to a baby wearing meeting. We love newbies and everyone is there to share the BW love so you can try a bunch of different styles (of Wraps, MTs, SScs and ring slings) and really get a feel for what would work well for your hubby. You don't need to wait for baby to show up, a well established group will probably have a weighted doll or bag of flour to give you an idea of what you're working with!

If you can't make it to a meeting, or can't find one, head over to www.thebabywearer.com. There is no end to the knowledge those ladies have about all things baby wearing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DH weighs about the same but is shorter. We have a beco and he used it comfortably. I don't remember if they have an extender or not for the waist but I know the ergo does. Those are the 2 I looked into.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

MH wore the Bjorn

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Great, thanks ladies!  I have a feeling we're going to go with a Beco for him and a kinderpack for me....but we have a while, so we'll see!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

My DH is an XXL shirt size and he had no trouble wearing a Baby Bjorn.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"