June 2012 Moms

Naming question

So DH has been impossible to deal with when it comes to coming up with names. We don't know what we are having but I would like a small list of names at least. I have been trying to come up with names I like (hard when he won't participate) but I have a question on one I liked.

Back story, my grandmother who died when I was 10 was named Catherine but everyone referred to her at Kate. My cousin had his girl they named her Caitlin and said it was a spin off of Catherine. They saved Catherine for my other cousin because my grandmother raised her. So when she had her first girl she named her Catherine. So now thinking of names I thought if I had a girl I could name her Kate, a simple name like I really want and what my grandmother was always called but not her real name. My father (it was his mother) thinks it is too many similar names in one family. What do you think??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Naming question

• If you like the name and are comfortable with DD having a family name (since that is what it is becoming) than go for it.  I'm not one for repeating names, but there are PLENTY of duplicate names in my family and as far as I know nobody has had issue with it. 
  • I don't think similarity matters at all.

My SIl's oldest daughter is Audrey, DH has a cousin Audrey, and their grandad's wife is Audrey. There is an auntie Julie and my SIL is Julia. 

We all know who is who and each has their own identity, so it's not really an issue at all.

If the name means something to you - go for it. Plus, I love the name Kate. Very classic and beautiful. 

pregnancy pregnancy
  • Loading the player...
  • Love Kate! I get that they are related names, but I think because they are so different visually that it's no big deal. And as long as it's okay with you, no one else should make a peep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Actually, I think it is really nice. My husband's family all name there daughters similar names and now one ever gets confused. It's a way to link everyone of a generation and give them a bond others don't have.
    IAmPregnant Ticker image BabyFetus Ticker
  • unless you and one of your siblings were both naming your daughters kate or catherine I wouldn't worry about it.
    Audrey is going to be a big sister!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's too similar for my taste, but it's your choice.  I won't name my child anything that's even remotely like another family member or friend or friend's child. 

How do your cousins feel about it?  Does your cousin named Catherine also go by Kate?

• They are both called by their full names, no nicknames. However they are only 13 and 10 so that might change. I have only asked my dad what he thought, no matter what name I come up with I don't want anyones judgement so I have avoided that. Which is really why I asked here to see what people who don't know me think and maybe get a idea of how my family will react.
  • I think naming a girl Kate would be more than acceptable considering you will be naming her after a relative.  If you and your husband want to honor your grandmother by naming your daughter Kate, then go for it!  
  • BRBR member
    Most everyone in my family is named after someone, so I'm all for it.  I love the name Kate!  I would do what you want to do and not worry about anyone else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"