June 2012 Moms
Options

Feel like a failure :(

So I failed my glucose test. I now have gestational hypertension and gestational diabetes. I'm pretty depressed. I feel like I can't do anything right for this baby :(
Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Feel like a failure :(

• Options

*hugs* Don't feel like a failure!

This set of results is just your LO saying that they need things to be a little different. Different isn't bad, it's just different. With these results you now know what your LO needs in order to make it to term and have a wonderful, healthy child. Just because you can't eat whatever it is you want or need to rest more doesn't make you a bad mother. A simple change in behaviour will ensure that things continue to go well. Again - different is not a bad thing. 

*hugs*

pregnancy pregnancy
  • Options
    Keep your head up, your going to be a great mommy! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You are not a failure honey.  Sometimes it just happens and we have no control over it.  If you stress about it, it's going to make that hypertension worse.  So let's think happy thoughts.  Your little nugget will be here soon :) and you be able to give them tons of kisses.

Keep your chin up. 

• Options
    GD is completely not your fault! It's a hormone produced by the placenta that makes your cells more resistant to insulin.  Absolutely nothing you could do to prevent it! Just take care of yourself and make sure your GD is well-managed and that IS doing the best you can for your baby!
  • Options

=( don't feel like a failure... there isn't anything you could have done to prevent the GD. And you can do something right for your baby by doing whatever is necessary to get it under control and keep baby healthy. I've been diagnosed with it since 14 weeks and have been on insulin since 16ish weeks and every time I get upset about it I just remind myself that I'm being a good mom by making sure i do what i can to make my baby healthy. I also promise GD isn't the end of the world... I still eat most of the foods I did before I was diagnosed, just less of them or in a different fashion. 

((hugs)) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageFutureNichols:

You are not a failure honey.  Sometimes it just happens and we have no control over it.  If you stress about it, it's going to make that hypertension worse.  So let's think happy thoughts.  Your little nugget will be here soon :) and you be able to give them tons of kisses.

Keep your chin up. 

All of this! Try not to stress and just take good care of yourself. Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    Thanks everyone :) I feel a little better. It was just a shock. I honestly thought I wasn't going to have it. And my baby shower is Saturday, and now I can't eat cake :( I know kind of silly to be sad about, but I've been craving cake for weeks! lol
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemamameg11:
    imageFutureNichols:

Keep your chin up. 

All of this! Try not to stress and just take good care of yourself. Big Smile

Exactly what these ladies said!  It is NOT your fault, and you are NOT a failure.  And I'm sure you can probably work the numbers out so that you can have a small piece of cake. 

Me: 37 Dx: PCOS 10/09, started Clomid 8/10
    DH: 40 Dx: MFI 6/11
    IVF #1: Lupron
  • Options
    You're defnitely not a failure.  There's nothing you can do to prevent these things.  Just try to keep to the doctor's recommendations and stay as relaxed as possible.
  • Options

imageMrsL8487:
    Thanks everyone :) I feel a little better. It was just a shock. I honestly thought I wasn't going to have it. And my baby shower is Saturday, and now I can't eat cake :( I know kind of silly to be sad about, but I've been craving cake for weeks! lol

You can have cake.. just make it a small one.

• Options
    imagerichards897:

imageMrsL8487:

We're having cupcakes so I think I can have one :)  

• Options

Cheer up!  Just try to remember, with GD sometimes you could eat perfectly and your body still won't give you the sugar readings that are normal.  I am on insulin now for this, even though I track what I eat and really do eat everything I should. 

You and your baby will be fine! It is better you know that you have these issues so they can be treated rather than go on not knowing and potentially put your baby in harms way.

You are going to be a great momma! So try and relax a little bit...just think in less than 2 months you will have an adorable little baby in your arms! :)

• Options
    imageMrsL8487:
    imagerichards897:

imageMrsL8487:

You can have your cake and eat it too.  I have GD this time around too and am finding that I can eat some "no no things" from time to time and I haven't gone out of my limits yet.  Just wipe the frosting off if there is any, drink lots of water, and even eat just half of it if you are worried.  Also, make sure you spend that day really sticking to your diet so you don't spike with cake intake.  Eat a good protein with it too to help your body counteract the carbs of cake. You'll do great and will have a great time at your shower.

• Options
    imagellib18:
    imageMrsL8487:
    imagerichards897:

imageMrsL8487:

You can have your cake and eat it too.  I have GD this time around too and am finding that I can eat some "no no things" from time to time and I haven't gone out of my limits yet.  Just wipe the frosting off if there is any, drink lots of water, and even eat just half of it if you are worried.  Also, make sure you spend that day really sticking to your diet so you don't spike with cake intake.  Eat a good protein with it too to help your body counteract the carbs of cake. You'll do great and will have a great time at your shower.

The dietician here suggested that if we're going to eat something like a brownie or cupcake we eat something low carb and high protein 15 minutes or less beforehand nice for whatever reason that seems to limit the spike... and as long as there isn't a ton of frosting you should be good... just try to watch everything else you're eating while you are there. I am going to a second baby shower next weekend and can guarantee I'll eat some cake while I'm there and about 2 weeks before the baby is born some of my friends and I are getting together to have cake and just hang out.

• Options

I know what you mean. When we called for the glucose test results this Monday and found out they were still high, I balled for about an hour because I felt I had failed my little girl.

I don't know how bad it is yet, but I just keep telling myself that no one has a perfect pregnancy. Whether it's GD, or something else, almost everyone has some sort of complication. At least these ones are easier to manage.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have the same issues and feel very much the same way. Like if i cant protect LO on the inside how am i going to be able to do it on the outside. I just keep trying to remember that God does not give us more than we can handle. Keep your head up and know that you are doing the best you can to make LO as healthy as possible.
  • Options
    imagellib18:
    imageMrsL8487:
    imagerichards897:

imageMrsL8487:

Eat the cake!  You are allowed to "fall off the wagon" every once in a while!  When I was pregnant with DS, I REALLY fell off the wagon at my shower...I mean I STUFFED my face with cookies (I completely lost control).  I just didn't test afterwards (which was a suggestion from my diabetic case manager, the testing...not the stuffing of the face...hee hee).  And I live by the don't test afterwards.  I had some zucchini bread at Easter and tested that evening...big mistake.  I'm happier not knowing!  LOL!

As for your body failing, my diabetic case manager told me of a patient she had who ran 5-10 miles a day and was insulin dependent by WEEK 10!  It just is one of those things that happens.  Now that you know you CAN control how you proceed and do what is needed to make sure your LO comes as healthy as possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"