Breastfeeding
Options

Hypothyroidism & low milk supply

My milk supply has been tanking in the last month.  I had a blood test that showed I have hypothyroidism and I recently started the medication levothyroxine last week.  I wanted to start taking fenugreek to help with my supply, but read that people with hypothyroidism should not use it.  

Those with hypothroidism... what do you do to help your supply?  

Re: Hypothyroidism & low milk supply

• Options

My ob said once you are on the correct dose you should notice a difference.

I've been on meds for almost 8 yrs. w/ my 1st son we learned (much later on) that I wasn't on the correct dose and that was the answer for my LOW LOW supply. This time around I was monitored ALOT closer and lets just say Im a dairy cow! I never knew one could produce this much milk!

I've also heard that you shouldn't take fenugreek while dealing w/ a thyroid issue but honestly I can't remember why.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You may still be experiencing a drop because your medicine hasn't taken full effect (it can take up to a month for it to start getting everything back to normal). I had a dip in supply (and have hypothyroidism) and I used Mother's Milk Tea (which I actually think has Fenugreek in it but I didn't have any issues). I also ate oatmeal every morning which actually helped a lot. Plus lots of extra pumping. It definitely takes some effort, but you should be able to get it back up in a week or two. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him." x 2

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have hypothyroidism and am on levothyroxine. I took fenugreek for about 3 weeks and it worked...oops? You can also pump immediately after feeding but i think you have to do that several times a day for about 3 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"