School-Aged Children

dental insurance for braces

Does anyone know a good option for this? Our dentist told us to start saving now for braces....

Our current dental insurance is delta dental and it will pay out $1000 per kid per lifetime. That won't go very far for braces...

Can I supplement our current dental insurance with something that has mnore coverage for orthodontics or do I cancel the delta dental altogether and find something with better coverage?

Thanks! 

Re: dental insurance for braces

• Coming from my own personal experince.  As an adult our dental insurance only covers things like pulling of teeth, cleanings, and things of that nature.  For our kids if they need braces it only pays for $1000 over a lifetime.   The total of my braces is $3000 that I make payments for. $1000 went on our care credit card, and the rest was out of pocket.  Not to bad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• $1000 - $2000 lifetime is pretty standard.  I  would imagine that any supplemental insurance (if it exists) would be more expensive than it's worth.  You'd be better off just saving for it.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • I work for an insurance company.  The best you are going to get is about 50% coverage up to a maximum of 1500.00 per lifetime.  Braces are ridiculous.  Most people I've talked to, say they have to take out loans.  The dentist office will sometimes work out payment options also. 

I'm dreading for my SD to need any sort of braces!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • OH.. and most of the time, clear braces aren't covered!  Insurance normally only covers the very basics!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our dental insurance covers 2k.  For SD1, we put down 1k and have 24 mos of payments at $77 a month.  For SD2 we out down $400, and have 24 mos of payments around $80.

The payments are made to the orthodontist directly, we didn't use care credit or any other credit company. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"