June 2012 Moms
Options

Growth Scan question

Hey all,

I'm just curious, this is my first pregnancy, i'm 30 weeks pregnant and I have gained ~12 pounds.  At my  last doc appointment, I gained a solid 2 pounds, but my obgyn wants to do a growth scan on me, should I be worried??  Trust me, I eat 3 meals a day and lots of snacks.  Everyone at work is always saying how small I am carrying, but I am a pretty active person, I do light cardio 2 x week for ~45 minutes, pre natal yoga 1-2 a week, and I work in healthcare, so I am on my feet all day running around.  I dunno, I thought I was doing pretty good with my weight and just figured I would pop at the end--my mom told me she carried like I am with all 3 kids and gained most of her weight at the end.  I wasn't concerned initially, but of course I started reading about growth scans on the internet and I just freaked myself out :(

Re: Growth Scan question

• Options

She probably wants to make sure that your baby is healthy.  I wouldn't be worried, but I still would be proactive.

You could be carrying low, having a small baby, have low fluid, etc.   

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

I've got a growth scan tomorrow - I'm measuring about 2weeks behind and they just want to make sure that the baby is fine. I have no risk factors for a small baby, this is just a precaution. Better safe than sorry, right?

I am freaked out too, but I am trying to look at it in a positive way. Let us know how it goes?

pregnancy pregnancy
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have only gained about 11 pounds and I will be 30 weeks on Friday. My doctor has not seemed concerned and has not told me anything about a growth scan. My belly seems to be growing right on track, so he says when I see him. I am seeing him every twos weeks though.

Hopefully they are just taking precautions and everything is just fine!

DS - Born 6/17/12 

DS#2 - Due 2/11/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

A growth scan is perfectly normal and just to make sure baby is growing like it should be. They also like to check if baby is breech or head down during the scan. I just had mine yesterday. My uterus is measuring 2 weeks ahead, but baby is right where he should be as far as growth is concerned. My OB also checks the cervix during this scan to make sure its not thinning or showing any indicatiobns of preterm labor. Don't worry, I am sure all will be perfectly fine!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

I have gained 11 pounds and had an u/s at 31 weeks (to check position) and he was measuring a week ahead overall.

I have never gained more than 17lbs with my previous 2 pregnancies and had healthy babies (both 6-7lbs)

women can gain 50lbs and have a 6lb baby and women can gain 15lbs and have a 9lb baby

also, growth scans can be and are usually off.  My friend was told her baby was at least 9lbs and was born just shy of her EDD at 7lbs14oz

• Options
    Thank you for all your comments, I feel better now :)
  • Options

Like everyone else said above, they're not really anything to worry about. And if your baby is behind in growth, the earlier they catch it, the better. 

My baby's head measured right on track but the rest of his body is now 4 weeks behind.  But my doctors have been on it all along and i get growth scans every 2  weeks. Hopefully you wont have this... and even if you do, babies can catch up.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm 32 weeks with my first and I have high bp so that impacts the growth. I've only gained 8 lbs from my pre preg weight and my little booger is growing right on track. I don't look 8 months preg at all but that's not what counts it's all about the baby. Don't worry about it. I'm sure you'll have your u/s and everything will be fine. Good luck
  • Options

There's no reason to worry.  I'm sure all is well.  I have had growth scans every 4 weeks since week 12.

Hooray for getting another peek at your baby.  :)

• Options
    Some doctors just do growth scan routinely, I am also having one done at 32 weeks to check on the little girl. The way I look at it is that it is another chance to see her!
  • Options
    I have gained about 20lbs and will be having a growth scan at my next appt because at my practice it is standard at 32 weeks.  Maybe they were going to do it anyway and the 2 are not related?
  • Options
    my ob does a routine growth scan at 32 weeks for all the patients.. i waill be having that in 2weeks. there is nothing to worry and on the positive side u get to see the baby
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    32 week growth scans are a norm at my ob.  Nothing to be overly concerned about..they are just checking in.
  • Options
    My OB does growth scans as a matter of routine. Don't worry, it will be great seeing LO again!
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much especially if you've been eating healthy. With DD I lost weight my entire pregnancy and at 28 weeks I was measuring behind. I had a BPP (Bio-physical profile) and my OB was concerned with IUGR, so I had to start drinking Ensure along with eating a minimum of 3 meals a day. This pregnancy I started measuring 2 weeks ahead at 28 weeks and then 3 weeks ahead at 30 weeks. OB sent us for a growth scan and baby measured right where he should be. FWIW, I've gained 1 lb at 32 weeks this go round. It can really go either way, but as long as you're taking care of yourself there's nothing else you can do before getting the results back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have been working out and doing yoga as well since I was plus size and pregnant.  Add in the GD and docs were worried about controlling my weight during the pregnancy.  I haven't gained any weight and LO is growing fine.  Don't worry.  Just get checked out and see what's what :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"