September 2012 Moms
Options

High blood Pressure

So my last appt a month ago I was around 134/70 something. Then today at 17 weeks, I was 148/84. The nurse says "It should never be that high" but my Dr doesn't say a word. He checked heartbeat and it was strong and I get to find out the gender via anatomy scan in 4 weeks. Long wait but oh well. How did you ladies deal with higher blood pressure? 

Re: High blood Pressure

• Options
    Manx4Manx4 member

Did you ask your doctor about your blood pressure?  From what I understand - which may be off - they're more concerned about the under number - the 84.  I believe 84 is normal during pregnancy.  If you ever have a question, be sure to bring it up while the doctor is there with you. 

If it makes you feel better, call the office and leave a message with the nurse to have the doctor call you back to discuss your blood pressure results from your last appointment.  He'll let you know why or why not he's concerned with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It was just the nurse that mentioned it. My Dr got the charts and everything and didn't say a word. So I would assume he didn't think it was something to worry about. I forgot to ask.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't know about you, but whenever I'm at the doctors office my blood pressure tends to get a bit higher. Yesterday when I was in my blood pressure was 140/70. I have never had a BP that high, and my doctor was a bit concerned. I told her that I was deep in thought when they came to get me from the waiting room, so I was a bit startled, and then they took my blood pressure right away. She knows I work in the hospital, so she asked me to check my BP every once in a while on my own and record it so that she could see the numbers. I just took my BP and it was 119/67. Maybe you could check your BP on your own. Do you think that you might be having that same issue as me?

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Manx4Manx4 member

Doctors do overlook some things/miss items on your chart.  Not saying he didn't see it and wasn't concerned but ALWAYS bring up something you're wondering about to the doctor.  This is your time with him, one on one, so ask away.  They expect questions and are there to answer them and ease worries or guide you in the right direction. 

I'd call, ask and take it from there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ya I think you are right. Cause before I was pregnant my normal was like 117/70. So of course I give it a leway with being pregnant but geez not that much haha I think it was nerves and excitement since I was hoping to be able to find out the gender. And I knew I'd have to have another blood test (I have HORRIBLE vein history) and I was scared that for some reason there wouldn't be a heartbeat (No reason at all to think that), in fact I'm pretty sure I feel movement. Just the nerves of it I guess. I'll have to start taking it my own to see if that would be different when I'm more relaxed. 
  • Options
    my BP was high the last time I went in.  They rechecked it right before I left it had gone down but not as far as I would have liked.
  • Options
    Manx is correct, the bottom number (aka the diastolic reading) is the number that they tend to be more concerned about. This is the number that is your heart at rest, and the higher the number, the less your heart is resting. If your previous reading was 70 (which is normal) and now it is 84 that might be a bit on the high side. I would definitely just call your doctor to get some piece of mind.

imageimageimage

• Options
    I have high blood pressure, have for years, and from my understanding 148/84 is a "high normal" but still normal. You should point out to your doctor that it is increasing though because your blood pressure is actually suppose to be at it's best right about now (mine is running lower then it ever has been) and after 20 weeks is typically when it can start to raise. So if it's already rising, I would bring it to his attention. But right now it's still "normal" so don't worry too much yet... But even if it is high, don't worry much. There are lots of safe blood pressure drugs for pregnancy, I'm on Methyldopa which is been around for a very long time and very safe... SO, don't worry much :) before I was medicated my blood pressure could get as high at 180/160 (that's to the point you can have a stroke) and mine is easily controlled with a pretty low dose of Methyldopa :) Good luck!
    PCOS, Severe Hypertension, Diabetic. Started TTC in 2007.
    (12-2011) 5MG Femara (CD 3-7) w/ Repronex (CD 8-16) HCG trigger (CD 17) = BFP!!
    Photobucket
    Layla born Aug 31st 2012
  • Options

One last thing, I just found this on baby center. It might put your mind at ease a little bit anyway Smile

"The reason your doctor measures your BP regularly is to build up a picture of what's normal for you. This is important, as a single high reading may prove insignificant. Perhaps you are simply stressed out or late for your appointment. If your doctor suspects your BP is raised, they will take another reading to confirm it."

imageimageimage

• Options

imageWRose3339:
    Manx is correct, the bottom number (aka the diastolic reading) is the number that they tend to be more concerned about. This is the number that is your heart at rest, and the higher the number, the less your heart is resting. If your previous reading was 70 (which is normal) and now it is 84 that might be a bit on the high side. I would definitely just call your doctor to get some piece of mind.

I agree that Manx is correct. With my last pregnancy I experienced high BP in the 3rd trimester which eventually led to me having pre-e. The day before they induced me for pre-e my BP was 187/110.

I also agree that if the nurse shows any concern before the doctor comes in and your doctor never mentions anything, feel free to ask about it. Like PP said, they're there to answer any questions you may have and to ease your mind.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've been dealing with high blood pressure throughout this pregnancy. My doctor has a cap of 150/100. If either systolic (top number) or diastolic (bottom number) reach those numbers, I am to go to triage. I was having dizzy spells and feeling very swollen, so my doctor had be go get  a blood pressure machine and take it twice a day, to monitor it.

Make sure you are drinking tons of water and watch your sodium intake.

Ask your doctor what his BP limit is, and what to do if you have a mixture of sysmptoms. I.e. Headache, dizziness, swollen ect.

High systolic and diastolic numbers can cause lack of blood and oxygen to the baby, becuase your body is working too hard at that point to circulate your blood.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"