September 2012 Moms
Options

Smart@sses- I need your help!

My coworker is driving me up a wall and around a corner.  I finally have a bit of a bump this week, and my friend was cooing over it on Monday.  Since then, said coworker has taken every opportunity to tell me how I don't look pregnant (and this is done in a snarky way, not in a complimentary way).  Here are some exact quotes:

1.  You don't look pregnant; you look like you just ate a big meal.

2.  Stop sticking out your stomach on purpose and trying to look bigger than you are.

3.  It's cheating to wear a sweater with a pocket on the front just so you look like you're actually pregnant.

All of these (and more) have been unsolicited and not even a part of an ongoing conversation.  I've mostly been ignoring her, but it's starting to feel a little bit like unsolicited catcalls from a construction worker and it makes me feel uncomfortably scrutinized.

Anyone have a good response I can bust out, or should I just continue shooting her withering, passive-aggressive looks?  TIA!

Re: Smart@sses- I need your help!

• Options

I'd try to turn it around on her. "At least my belly is growing because I'm pregnant. What's your excuse?"

"Were you born with no tact or is that a skill you spent years acquiring?"

Or just be really blunt. "Wow, you're incredibly rude, you know that?"

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm not much of a smart@ss, but I wanted to say that I admire the fact that you haven't flipped out on this broad already. I would have had nothing to say other than, "B!tch, when someone asks you for an opinion, you'll know it. Otherwise, STFU."

Grr. I'm irritated for you.

I hope someone gives you some good ideas to put your co-worker in her place.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
    partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    alexander patrick : bfp 1.16.12, born 9.20.12 @ 39w1d, 7 lbs./11 oz./22 in.
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageblindvictory:

Awesome. Yes

partial molar pregnancy : bfp 6.28.10, d/c 8.17.10, 7 rounds methotrexate, cleared 7.1.11
    scarlett irene elizabeth : bfp 5.24.13, born 2.3.14 @ 41w2d, 7 lbs./13 oz./19 in.
  • Options

I would just be incredibly blunt and tell her that her comments are not needed or wanted and unless she has something nice to say to not talk to you unless it is work related. 

• Options
    Frustrating.  I honestly think I would give a simple, "Enough."  It gets to the point without feeding into her...weirdness:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imagenola78:
    imagebrideandbreve:
    imageblindvictory:

Awesome. Yes

This.  Also, I have a friend who suggests taking a slighly different approach.  When someone says something rude to him, he'll look at them and sincerely question, "Are you okay?"  When the person says that they are, he'll say something along the lines of, "Oh, that's good.  I was concerned because you've been saying really nasty things to me and I was worried that something else was going on."  It ususally ends up stopping them in their tracks.

And kudos to you for not absolutely ripping this gal a new one.  Seriously, these are some pretty rude things that she's been saying. 

Bwahaha, I love this!

• Options

imageauroraloo:
    Bv's got you covered. I'm a fan of direct confrontation over passive-aggressive behavior though.

Yes

Employed by the Toddler Tyrant named G!
  • Options
    imagenola78:
    imagebrideandbreve:
    imageblindvictory:

Awesome. Yes

This.  Also, I have a friend who suggests taking a slighly different approach.  When someone says something rude to him, he'll look at them and sincerely question, "Are you okay?"  When the person says that they are, he'll say something along the lines of, "Oh, that's good.  I was concerned because you've been saying really nasty things to me and I was worried that something else was going on."  It ususally ends up stopping them in their tracks.

And kudos to you for not absolutely ripping this gal a new one.  Seriously, these are some pretty rude things that she's been saying. 

I love nolas suggestion! haha 

PCOS, Severe Hypertension, Diabetic. Started TTC in 2007.
    (12-2011) 5MG Femara (CD 3-7) w/ Repronex (CD 8-16) HCG trigger (CD 17) = BFP!!
    Photobucket
    Layla born Aug 31st 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would tell her she is being rude and needs to stop, but the other part of me would ask her if she was pregnant and not showing and ask if she was jealous. Or some other back to her statement.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • Options
    Thanks, all, for the fabulous ideas!  I'm also glad you don't think I'm totally overreacting.  I try very hard to give people the benefit of the doubt, and most things roll easily off my back, but this is a bit out of hand.  I very much appreciate all of the advice, though, and I'll keep you posted on what comes out of my mouth the next time she opens hers!
  • Options
    imagemrsh0606:

I would just be incredibly blunt and tell her that her comments are not needed or wanted and unless she has something nice to say to not talk to you unless it is work related. 

either this or I'd start to cry and tell her she's hurting your feelings.  if you can't get through to her passive-agressively, you might as well try and make her feel bad!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Options
    I think you need to be direct.  Often people who are snarky like this feed off of nasty comments in return.  If you can't take it anymore or it's really getting to you tell her it's not ok and that's rude.  If she continues, ignore her completly give her nothing to work with, either she'll stop or move on to something else.
    image image
  • Options
    imageblindvictory:

I'd try to turn it around on her. "At least my belly is growing because I'm pregnant. What's your excuse?"

Or just be really blunt. "Wow, you're incredibly rude, you know that?"

Love all of these.   <3 BV
  • Options
    imagenola78:
    imagebrideandbreve:
    imageblindvictory:

Awesome. Yes

That's awesome.  I'm going to have to use that.

OP - You must be a super nice person to have not ripped the head off of your CW by now.  BlindVictory had some pretty awesome snarky responses - I hope one of them works for you!

~ TTC cheerleader for the fabulously wonderful j&a09 ~
    ~ Much love and many prayers to Panderp ~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Blog ..... BFP Chart
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"