Military Families

Does your husband actually get to enjoy Hawaii a bit?

It's me again ladies.  Thanks for being patient with my questions.  This is a BIG decision, we are deciding whether to re-enlist or not, and is so, should we choose Hawaii, Pearl Harbor.  I know the fast attack schedule is unpredictable and it would be a sacrifice for both of us and a commitment we'd make together.  My question is, many of you have said how you've both enjoyed your time in Hawaii.  Aside from the 6-9 month deployment, does your hubby have much time home TO enjoy it?  Months or weeks...days at a time?  I'm trying to get a general understanding of the "unpredictable" schedule, if thats even possible.  Thanks so much!!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does your husband actually get to enjoy Hawaii a bit?

• My sister and her husband are in Hawaii right now, but he's on a destroyer.  Keeping in mind I know nothing about the sub community, he's been deployed for 7 months and did all the work ups that come along with that.  They ship actually just left on a moment's notice to deal with a recent event and they're not sure when they'll be back. 

That being said, he's had plenty of time to find his favorite surf spots.  He and my sister have also taken weekend trips to Kaui and the Big Island.  They just couldn't plan them far in advance.

I don't know if this helps you any since my BIL is not on a sub, but I know they would tell you to come to Hawaii.  They absolutely are loving their time there.

• My DH and I are both military and in Hawaii. Neither if us has the job your husband has but I wanted to chime in about the area. We both train and deploy long and often but are still able to enjoy the time off. Hawaii also has a lot of holidays that are t federally recognized but we still get the days off. I have never been given so much time off at any other duty station. Planning a last minute trip to other islands is very doable if you don't have a lot of time to plan. The flights are short and each island I have been to has a military camp or installation of some sort that makes lodging cheaper.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • My husband was on an attack sub and I can honestly say we didn't get to enjoy hawaii that much. My husband says if he's a nuke then he wont have as much time either. My husband worked a lot of long days, they were 3 section duty for quite a while, so that included a lot of weekends. Also they don't get to make up weekend duty during the week. When they were in port they were in shipyard a couple times so that added to the misery. It's nice when you get off work to be in Hawaii, but sometimes he was too burned out to really enjoy. This shouldn't really make a difference where you are stationed, it's like that everywhere... I think that if I had the option to be near family I would have chosen that option rather than come to hawaii. Especially with small children. I do like Hawaii.Every boat is different, although I think we are more the rule than the exception when it comes to fast attack boats. It's a hard decision. Best of luck
  • Also keep in mind that it is really far away and expensive. I was in Germany before Hawaii and thought that that distance was bad until I got to Hawaii. Its 5 1/2hrs to the West Coast and then at least another 3 anywhere else in the states. Its also expensive(gas,food, things to do... ect) Unless you really really really like the beach its not the best...you can do most there is to do in a year,,,but you cant beat the weather....I liked it but not for a long period of time.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much to all of you for chiming in!  We've been considering Georgia lately.  Either of you been stationed there?  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"