June 2012 Moms

Post Baby Birth Control

Have any of you ladies decided what you would like to do/use?

DH and I know that we don't want to TTC again for about 3 years. I will not go on the pill again (I hated how my body reacted to it).

I talked to my MW today and we were thinking either Mirena or Paragard as these would be very convenient.

Anyone thinking that far ahead yet?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Re: Post Baby Birth Control

• In between DS1 and DS2 we used condoms while I was still nursing and then I went back on the pill.

This will be our last child, and DH has mentioned getting a vasectomy. We'll probably do condomns again and I 'might' go back on the pill until the vasectomy is a for sure thing though....I think.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • FWIW a friend of mine told me last week that vasectomies can "undo" for lack of a better word after about 10 years. Apparently the tubes can grow back.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm thinking IUD.  We're done for now but want to be able to discuss 3/4 in a few years. 

image   image

• We will probably use condoms as I also hate what the pill does to me...but I also hate using condoms which is why we are where we are today...lol. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• vasectomy.
  • imageunaveragejane:
    FWIW a friend of mine told me last week that vasectomies can "undo" for lack of a better word after about 10 years. Apparently the tubes can grow back.

Just want to clarify this...

yes, a vasectomy or a tubal can fail.  However, for a vasectomy once your dr gives you the all clear (based on sample given 3 months after procedure is done)  it is only .025% chance that the vasectomy would fail.  Our OB told us the vasectomy is more reliable than a tubal (a tubal fails .5% of the time), although both have low failure rates.

• We will likely use temping to avoid. It worked for two and half years and after two months of temping to conceive, it worked. We would be happy if we got pregnant again though. We're likely going to try again 6-12 months after LO is born.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • sam19sam19 member
    Getting my tubes tied. :D I'm excited. lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
  • I'm going back on the pill.  I actually did much better on the pill after DS was born than before, hopefully that will be the case again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have yet to talk about it.  I am hoping DH will agree to condoms for a year ( I hate the pill).  When baby is 1 we hope to try #3(last baby) then DH is going to get a V!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Natural family planning... but only because we want two kids, and we're not spring chickens anymore.   And, we didn't use any form of birth control for a good 5 or 6 years before getting pregnant, so I'm not too worried about it. 

After the second kid... not sure. 

• My husband refuses condoms. He told me that its like "driving a ferrari forever and then going to a focus, it gets the job done but its not as fun". I laughed at his analogy but I do agree with him because condoms were awful for us.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • We just use condoms.  I don't like how birth control effects me.  It contributed to my depressed a few years back, so I don't use it anymore.  So, condoms until we have one more baby, and then it's vasectomy time! 
  • We plan on waiting 1 year then ttc again. For that year we will be using condoms and also tracking my cycle via temping and using fertility friend.
  • We're trying for Irish twins. No birth control, except maybe condoms for a short period of time. 

• BRBR member
    imageRioG1978:

Natural family planning... but only because we want two kids, and we're not spring chickens anymore.   And, we didn't use any form of birth control for a good 5 or 6 years before getting pregnant, so I'm not too worried about it. 

This is me too.  It took over two years and tons of medical intervention for me to even get pregnant. Although I know anything is possible, I'm not too concerned about getting pregnant again.  We would like two and to have them close together anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Condoms... when our son is a year old, we'll consider TTC again. However, since this pregnancy has been kinda awful (in and out of hospital and he'll be a preemie), we may be one and done.
  • I can't be on hormonal birth control so condoms for us. Not planning to TTC baby # 2 for a couple of years.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was on the patch for years and it worked much better than the pill.  I went off it a year and a half before we started trying, as we were going to actually try a year earlier and I wanted 6 months off the hormone.  But dh got cold feet, so we kept using them for protection.  For that year and a half, condoms worked great.  We got pregnant the night we started trying, so I'm thinking we'll just go back to condoms and then go off them again when we're to try for #2.  I like not having the hormones in my body!
  • I'm planning on Essure. We know we don't want another baby after this one, and it's cheaper and a lot less painful than a vasectomy for him. 
  • imageBR:
    imageRioG1978:

Natural family planning... but only because we want two kids, and we're not spring chickens anymore.   And, we didn't use any form of birth control for a good 5 or 6 years before getting pregnant, so I'm not too worried about it. 

This is me too.  It took over two years and tons of medical intervention for me to even get pregnant. Although I know anything is possible, I'm not too concerned about getting pregnant again.  We would like two and to have them close together anyway.

All of this pretty much word for word!

imageimage

TTC #1 since 5/10
    BFP #1 7/22/11 - EDD 4/2/11 - M/C 8/15/11 (7w0d)
    BFP #2 9/23/11 - EDD 6/5/12 ♥It's a Girl♥
    BFP #3 2/20/13 - EDD 11/2/13 ♥It's a Girl♥
  • Mini-pill while nursing, then back to the regular pill.
  • I was on the IUD Paraguard before this pregnancy and loved it.  I can't be on hormonal birth control so it was the only solution for me.  We will be TTC another one after this one, so I'm going with luck of the draw.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• We do NFP and have since 2008.
    ~DD born 3-25-10~DS born 6-5-12~
    imageimage
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers imageimage
  • We will use condoms.  I never want to go back on the pill.  As much as I dislike condoms they do the job for a short term fix.

• I'm looking forward to my tubal ligation very much so! :)

DS#1- 7/2002

DS#2- 6/2004

DS#3- 9/2007

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am going to use condoms.  That's what I did last time.  After I finish BFing, I may try NFP.  My cycles were super regular after weaning DS, so I think NFP would work for avoiding pregnancy. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Paragard.  We want 3-4 years between our kiddos and I don't want hormones anymore, after being on them for 10 years.  We also don't do well with condoms :P
    TTC #1 9/2011  BFP 10/3/2011! (EDD 6/10/2012)   Aubrey Lynn, 6/17/12Daisypath Anniversary tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Add that to the To Do List - I will ask my doctor, but to date, haven't given it a thought.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagecchill01:
    Mini-pill while nursing, then back to the regular pill.

this.

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm thinking that we're going to be going with either Mirena or Paraguard as well. After coming off the pill, I refuse to go back on it. I had no idea how much it screwed up my body until I wasn't on it anymore.
  • We have not decided. We plan on TTC #2 starting around July of next year, so I don't want a long-term option like an IUD. I also plan on nursing and am not sure I want to use the mini-Pill for various reasons. We may do fertility charting, possibly with condoms, until I'm ready for #2. 
  • I had the Mirena for 4 1/2 years and loved it, not to mention I had my GYN take it out in July and I was pregnant in September :) I highly recommend it. I think I will go on a "safe" pill while BFing, but after I'm done, I will most likely have the Mirena replaced.

• When I went off the pill to TTC DD in 2006, I stopped getting the occasional migraines that were such a PIA, so I never went back on the pill.  We just used protection until we were ready to TTC again.  This time, I'm going to talk to my OB about Mirena and get his suggestions.
  • Mirena. I had it put in 6 weeks after DD was born until we started TTC this past summer. Loved it and will be doing the same this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Before TTC this little one I used the NuvaRing and loved it! I was on it for years and it only took me 2 months to get pregnant after going off of it.
  • imageRioG1978:

This is us too. I was originally thinking IUD, but then it took longer to get pregnant and stay pregnant then I originaly thought. So, instead of 3-4 years in between kids we will probably start tcc #2 when this baby is a little over a year old.

• svevasveva member
    We've only talked about it briefly but we both don't want me to start taking the pill again. We are probably going to do condoms and/or NFP until we decide we're ready for another LO.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"