Adoption

More tax credit - failed adoptions?

Anyone able to claim the tax credit successfully for a failed attempt?

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

Re: More tax credit - failed adoptions?

• from what i understand, I don't think you can. You can't claim the tax credit until an adoption is finalized, so that wouldn't include failed adoption.

we're doing international adoption. we started the process last february, and paid a bunch of the fees last year. BUT, we didn't bring our son home yet or finalize... so we couldn't claim any of those fees on this year's taxes. we have to wait until next year when hes home and finalized.

• You can if it's domestic, but I don't know if anyone had tried.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

• Loading the player...
  • We had a failed adoption in 2010 and claimed expenses paid in 2009 (the bulk of all of our agency fees) our our 2010-year taxes. We were audited, and it took 11 months to get our refund, but we got every cent, plus interest.

We claimed the expenses we paid in 2010 for the same failed adoption on our 2011 taxes, and received the refund with no delay/no audit today.

We haven't had a successful adoption, and my understanding is that our next adoption attempt will be rolled in with this one, so we won't be able to claim any more expenses. 

• Good to know! Do they accept birthmom expenses?

• imagekgs0505:
    Good to know! Do they accept birthmom expenses?

My understanding is, yes, as long as they are legitimate, legal, and you have a good paper trail....but we didn't have any, so no first-hand knowledge.

• When we filed our taxes in March (of this year) we included failed adoption expenses...all of them - no matter what the expense was. And our tax credit is pending.  We did a domestic infant adoption.

The IRS did ask for copies of receipts/contracts, etc. to prove the expense; but we did not submit these things with our original return...we waited for them to ask us for what they specifically needed.  Didn't want to send unnecessary 'stuff'.

We did receive our federal refund...just waiting for the adoption credit portion.  And after checking online, it seems to have no issue and should be sent to us within another month.  YAY!

edited: we have not finalized our infant adoption...but will in a month or so.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"