Natural Birth

My sister's obgyn is making me very angry. LONG post, half vent)

I have had amazing experiences with obgyns and so have basically everyone I know.  They have been supportive of the mother's choices and the hospitals push the skin-skin right away and support breastfeeding. (lots of great stuff)

My sister is pregnant right now with her 4th baby.  She has a new doctor since her last baby is now 6 and the previous doctor has moved.  The new doctor seemed ok and seemed to be very relaxed.  He has made several comments as to the large size of the baby and that she keeps measuring very large.  She tends to have babies between 9-10 lbs so she wasn't concerned.  He has her history so he should know this already.  At her appointment yesterday this doctor let her know he is concerned that the baby is too big and they will need an ultrasound to check because he is thinking she might need a c-section. I am so angry.  I have already told her she needs to switch to a different doctor. (She is due the end of May but she isn't attached to this guy, her GP was with her for most of the pregnancy so she only met this guy 2 months ago)

She has had all vaginal deliveries.  The first was a girl who had a larger than average head. They tested for various issues because her head was literally that large, EDIT it is still a lot larger than average but there were no issues found. (and shaped a bit differently than most)  Her last child was just past 10 lbs.  The labours were all under 15 hours and there were no issues at all.

Why would a doctor suggest a woman might be having a baby too large to deliver and that she might think about a c-section when she has clearly delivered large babies before.  I am so angry that he seems to be set on this.

Any thoughts? I would have walked out of his office so quickly and nto looked back.  I know late ultrasounds aren't very accurate for weight prediction. Does this sound strange to anyone, like this doctor might be setting things up to force a c-section later?

EDIT Sorry, I post here from time to time. I am TTC right now and I feel more comfortable here than the birth board.

Re: My sister's obgyn is making me very angry. LONG post, half vent)

• She should start by reminding doctor of her history, decline the growth ultrasound and see how he reacts.  Suprisingly doctors forget patients histories because they bounce from pt to pt in a day and don't necc review the whole chart every time....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebootcampbride:
    She should start by reminding doctor of her history, decline the growth ultrasound and see how he reacts.  Suprisingly doctors forget patients histories because they bounce from pt to pt in a day and don't necc review the whole chart every time....

Thank you. I am usually pro-ultrasound but I think that's a great idea.  The health and everything else has already been checked so this really isn't necessary.

EDIT I feel so silly, I hadn't even thought of declining the ultrasound.

• Loading the player...
  • he cant make her do something she doesnt want to do.  he can scheule an induction due to the baby 'being big' and she doesn't have to show.  he can schedule a c-section and she can politely decline.  She definitely needs to remind him of her history of larger babies.  I don't think she needs to necessarily find a new doctor, but she needs to not cave to his wishes due to his lack of knowledge. 

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agree with above.  He may want to do a section but she needs to consent to it first.  If the only issue is a large baby, that is not a medical reason to induce early at all.  And if he still pushes the issue when she reminds him that she's had 3 large babies so far vaginally, then she should switch if she doesn't feel like she can "disobey" his orders for early induction or c-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • All good advice, she can refuse induction and cs. The only problem is when she is actually in labor he can manipulate the situation and scare her into a c section. I would suggest a new OB.
  • I would refuse the u/s. I say this because I had growth scans every month after my 20 week u/s showed my baby was measuring big (no GD). All it did was cause undue stress and anxiety in my pregnancy. Because my baby was measuring above the 90th percentile, I was offered a c-section, but I refused it. I delivered a healthy 8 lb 5 oz. boy at term with no major issues. I have a feeling that many doctors would have guilted me into going with a c-section since he was measuring big, even though it goes against ACOG's recommendations.
    DS 12/18/2011
    DD 8/28/2014
    DD 5/24/2016, stillborn at 40 weeks
  • Well, if push comes to shove, at least with 3 bigger babies and 3 short labors, her chances of being able to show up at the hospital late in labor are pretty good.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What does your sister think about this? Is she upset? Maybe she can just discuss this with her doctor and it won't be an issue. If she's not upset then it's not a big deal.
  • If she can easily switch, I would. It's bad medicine to be pushing a planned section for a suspected big baby.

If she can't easily switch, then I'd start educating him. Her history, the ACOG stance on the situtation, declining u/s, and declining induction. She might also want a doula if he remains obstinate. 

• imagepc150805:
    What does your sister think about this? Is she upset? Maybe she can just discuss this with her doctor and it won't be an issue. If she's not upset then it's not a big deal.

This. What's your role here?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"