November 2011 Moms

not sleeping as much?

When DD was around 3 months old, she was sleeping from 7p-7a, getting up 1 or 2 times to eat but falling right back to sleep.  She'd then take a 2-3 hour nap first thing in the morning, plus a couple 20-30 minute catnaps.  She was sleeping around 16 hours a day.  Just recently, she's been sleeping from 7p-7a, still waking at night to eat, but not getting that 2-3 hour nap.  She's only getting 1-2 hours of naps so a total of about 14 hours all day.  Is that normal?  Or should I be trying harder to get more naps? 

She doesn't nap much during the day, even less when she's at daycare, but I worry that she's not sleeping as much as she should be.  She seems totally normal in every other way, and she only gets really cranky around 6p when it's time to start bedtime routine.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: not sleeping as much?

• My DS sleeps from 8:30p to 6:30a. He only takes about 4 half hour naps a day. He isn't crabby and loves to play and explore when he is up so I am not too worried about it. I think he got his dads genes when it comes to sleeping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD sleeps about 12.5-14 hrs a day.  Usually 10-11.5 at night and then 2-3 naps during the day.  (Usually the naps are 30-45 minutes - rarely longer) 

I read conflicting things about how much sleep they need at this age.  One source said 14-16 and then another was like 11-13 or 12-14. 

I would love to get more daytime sleep out of her, but she seems content to get most of her sleep at night.  When I asked the pedi about this at her 4 month appt, he didn't seem concerned - said if she was sleeping well at night, 2 daytime naps should be sufficient.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Your LO is getting more rest than mine lol.  DS sleeps from 7pm until 5 am, usually waking up once to eat around 1 or 2, then takes 1 (2 if we're REALLY lucky) half hour nap a day.  He gets cranky at the exact same time as your LO, I think it is just his cranky time of the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"