3rd Trimester

Waterproof mattress cover needed?

This might sound a little funny but is anyone putting a waterproof cover on their mattress in case their water breaks in bed? We have a memory foam mattress and I'm sure if my water broke in bed the mattress would never be the same. I'm just not sure what to cover it with. Any ideas? TIA!!

Re: Waterproof mattress cover needed?

• We bought one of those 'cheap' plastic zippered covers from bed bath and beyond to protect our mattress.  It wasnt the most comfortable feeling, but we had fuzzy sheets that masked the plastic-y feel.  It was only for a short amt of time, but it worked.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I bought one with my first pregnancy because DH was so paranoid about my water breaking in bed..it was never needed, but it is stil in place
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • we have one one our mattress always, our warranty is void if we spill anything on it, so we got one a few years back. 

i do have trash bags in the car just incase.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You don't sound funny at all! I am thinking about getting one for our bed for that same reason or just wrapping myself in garbage bags LOL. But honestly my friends broke while she was in bed so why risk it. I also worry about the couch and car seat. In the car I very well may put down a garbage bag on the seat part and then towels on top of that (because who wants to sit on plastic in June) and I don't know about the couch.

i'm interseted to see what 2nd time mom's think

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Statistically, you have less than a 15 percent chance of your water breaking before you go into labor and chances are you won't be in bed.

That being said Big Smile mine did break in bed.  We did not have a matress cover, but I did start wearing a pad and slept on top of one of those blue pads from the doctor's office.   I shot out of bed and nothing got on it, but I would have been ticked if I would have ruined my mattress.  I guess I could have gotten it cleaned.  Sorry, rambling....I guess better safe than sorry in my book.  Good luck.

• I am just going to sleep with a towel under me... Just in case.

Our mattress cover is water/sweat resistant already so I am not that worried. 

• At our childbirthing class, the nurse said to just go to the dollar store and get a plastic table cover. :)
  • With baby #1, I did sleep on a towel at the end. Though I never really thought about the car or couch.

With baby #2 I was induced a week early and never gave it a thought.

With this baby, I have no plans to worry about it since both other labors required the doctor to break my water after hours of labor.

If you are worried about it, you could put pads down on the things you are worried about or wear a pair of depends so no one else knows.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went out and bought one a few weeks ago because I'm so paranoid about it!  I actually splurged a bit and purchased a really nice one because I didn't want the plasticy feel.  I figure I'd rather spend a few dollars than have to worry with trying to clean the mattress.  Plus, I've been sweating like crazy lately, so at least I know that's not seeping into the mattress (gross I know).
  • Last time I went and got a cheap $10 cover for the last month, and I'll probably do the same this time. I ended up having to have my water broken in the hospital, but with my luck if I DIDN'T prepare for my water to break, it would on our nice mattress. I never really thought about the car seat though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm planning on getting one. Since I'm taking 2 weeks of vacation and then 3 weeks of mat leave before my due date, chances are that my water will break at home, if at all. I really don't want to deal with cleaning up anything before we head to the hospital. I'll probably be a paranoid nutcase before we have the baby, and then nothing will happen, but I don't want to chance it!
  • I did not end up needing it, but we just bought a cheap shower curtain from the dollar store to put under the sheet on my side of the bed. I am not doing anything this time as the chance of my water breaking in bed are slim to none.
  • Yes, we'll be putting one on as I get closer - I have a friend who had just bought a new mattress right before her water broke on it - and it ruined it. We have a sleep number that we splurged on last year, and I"m terrified that I'll ruin it if my water breaks on it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was a little paranoid about my water breaking on the bed too, so I bought an expensive cover but it was 50% due to Black Friday. Score!

I figured even if I didn't have my water break on the bed, it would protect from any other spills and stains. Pets, children even myself when I have a period. You never really know!

TTC #2 since Sept '16
    My Chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/28017b
    TTC #1- 3 failed rounds of Clomid/ Surprise Natural BFP w/weight loss- 9/22/11 DD 5/12
    DX. Dec '09 w/ Inappropriate LH Secretion Syndrom/PCOS/ Anov 28 months
    (Former username: xxbblueangelxx)
  • We have a tempurpedic bed and when we bought it the store suggested a cover for it that is meshlike. It's supposed to be waterproof and even has a gurantee from the company that if any liquid gets through they replace the mattress for free. I always have it on the mattress so I am not too worried about my water breaking on the bed.
  • We have a memory foam pad on top of our mattress and I was thinking of doing the same thing.  Although I think I am just going to buy a cheap shower curtain or something like that and stick it under my half of the bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For my first pregnancy, I got a plastic mattress cover and put a trash bag on my seat in the car, covered with a towel.  It made sleep even less attainable because it was noisy and made me sweat.  The garbage bag in the car made me sweat too.

My water broke in the middle of the night with DD1.  I had been having contractions that were getting closer together and stronger and hadn't been sleeping much at all.  Then, I had one that was bad enough that I felt like I couldn't lay down anymore so I got up, took 3 steps, and my water broke.  I was wearing a pad because I had been having such bad discharge so nothing got anywhere as I made it to the toilet to "drain" for a bit (ew).

Sleep and comfort are way too valuable for me right now with a toddler and being a SAHM/WAHM so I'm not doing any of that.  If my water breaks again and I ruin the mattress, too bad, we need a new one anyway ; ) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"