April 2012 Moms

How do I know if my humidifier is working?

We set up a humidifier in our bedroom and it's been a few days and I feel like it isn't working. Is it supposed to do something when we turn it on? Like give off a mist or something? We can't see anything coming out of it or hear it doing anything but I'm not sure if this is normal. Am I an idiot? :)

This is the one we have...

https://www.amazon.com/Crane-Gallon-COOL-humidifier-White/dp/B001ADL1SG/ref=zg_bs_267555011_1

ETA: typo 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How do I know if my humidifier is working?

• The one I had was not that fancy looking, but it made noise and let out visible steam.
  • imageTambcat:
    The one I had was not that fancy looking, but it made noise and let out visible steam.

Crap. This is what I figured. And we threw out the box. Bahhh.  

• Loading the player...
  • Mine only gave out a noticeable mist when it was on high. That was when I accidentally put my hand over the vent and freaked out when I felt something warm (because ours is a warm one, not a cool one). It also makes a little bit of a cauldron sound, but again, that's because it's a warm one.
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Oh wait, I just noticed that was a cool one. I can't remember what my cool one did. (This was like 9 years ago - in our current house/climate we need dehumidifying instead, lol.)  I just remember that I didn't think the cool one worked well enough, so I ended up getting a hot one.
  • We have the Crane one that is shaped like an animal.  You can only see the mist when it is turned up high, but it also makes a noise.  Where did you buy it from?  Will they take it without the box if you have a receipt?
  • imageTorani:
    We have the Crane one that is shaped like an animal.  You can only see the mist when it is turned up high, but it also makes a noise.  Where did you buy it from?  Will they take it without the box if you have a receipt?

Yea, even on the highest setting it doesn't appear to be doing anything so I think it's broken. It was a gift from our BRU registry so I don't have a receipt but it was on the registry. I'm so mad I threw out the box! I'm going to give it a shot and take it back anyway... or make DH do it because I get afraid of weird situations like this haha :) 

• imageAshleyC0117:

imageTorani:
    We have the Crane one that is shaped like an animal.  You can only see the mist when it is turned up high, but it also makes a noise.  Where did you buy it from?  Will they take it without the box if you have a receipt?

Yea, even on the highest setting it doesn't appear to be doing anything so I think it's broken. It was a gift from our BRU registry so I don't have a receipt but it was on the registry. I'm so mad I threw out the box! I'm going to give it a shot and take it back anyway... or make DH do it because I get afraid of weird situations like this haha :) 

Go buy another one, same color and compare the "on" results. If yours is broken return it as so in the new box. Problem solved. Lol 

Baby #2 is on the way!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby #1!
    Charles Edward 4/13/12 
    9 lbs 2 oz 22 & 3/4 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCrazijewel:
    imageAshleyC0117:

imageTorani:

Go buy another one, same color and compare the "on" results. If yours is broken return it as so in the new box. Problem solved. Lol 

Genius!! 

• imageAshleyC0117:

imageTambcat:
    The one I had was not that fancy looking, but it made noise and let out visible steam.

Crap. This is what I figured. And we threw out the box. Bahhh.  

It should be letting out visible steam AND the water level inside should be getting lower.  Turn it all the way up and see what happens.  At full force the water should be gone in maybe..12 hours?  I fill both of our in the winter at night and by morning they are both empty (one upstairs one on the main floor).

If it is not working I would still try and return it.  Even without the box.  It is obviously broken and they may take it back....you never know!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • We have one that is very quiet, and is "mist free", so it depends on your model. Ours is next to the bed...I know it's working when I snore less a.k.a. my hubby sleeps :)
  • That's the one we have and it lets off visible vapor. More the higher the setting. If I remember the instructions correctly, I think it only lasts a day or less with the water that goes in.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"