3rd Trimester

XP: Listen to your body and go with your gut...(kinda long)

Hi ladies,

I know I don't post often but i just felt obligated to share my recent experience with you all.

On Sunday March 25th I lost my mucous plug.  Called the doc they told me no big deal, but go to L& D just to make sure.  Went in, no contractions cervix closed.  Good deal, went home.  Later that evening I started having mild contractions that were clearly not BH but also weren't regular.  Called the nurse line and was told its normal after cervical exam.  I didn't sleep at all that night as the contractions became more frequent and more regularly but still were spaced pretty far apart (anywhere from 10-20 mins apart).  At about midnight my SO told me to call the physician on call.  When I explained what was going on, I was told there was no point to coming and and it was no big deal and I should wait for my regular appointment on Friday.

Monday morning things are about the same, but I went to work.  Just on a whim I talked to my boss about possibly taking leave early because I wasn't feeling so great.  I left work a couple hours early because the contractions were growing in intensity.  Again I call the hospital and was told no big deal because they were so far apart.  Monday night I didn't sleep because of such intense painful contractions every 15 mins.  

Tuesday morning I called my Doctor's office at 9am and they said it was probably nothing but if i wanted I could go to L &D because my doctor was there that morning checking on patients.  Once hooked to the monitor they could see I was having contractions about every 10-15 mins.  The nurses are assuring me that its nothing and I am doing well holding a conversation and don't see to be in too much pain so its probably no big deal being as my EDD was May 2.  When my doctor comes in to examine me, she says, "hmm, we're gonna have a baby in the next 24 hours.  You are fully effaced and 5 cm dilated." 

My boy was born Wednesday March 28th at 3:35am.  Despite begin 5 weeks early he had a 9 apgar, was 5lbs 4 oz, and didn't even need to go to the NICU for oxygen.  We are home now and adjusting to his early arrival, (fortunately I had my baby shower Sat the 24th, or he wouldn't even have had a place to sleep!). Throughout my entire labor my contractions were never longer than 30-40 sec and never closer together than 6 mins apart, and even that was inconsistent.  If I had listened to conventional wisdom or even  what I was being told my doctors and nurses I may have never gone in to the hospital.     

My point in posting this isn't to scare anyone as their due date approaches but it was just to remind everyone, especially FTM, to advocate for yourselves and listen to your bodies, no one knows it better than you.  I knew something was happening even when everyone told me it wasn't.  

Enjoy your last few weeks ladies and take care of yourselves! 

Re: XP: Listen to your body and go with your gut...(kinda long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"