March 2012 Moms

Mikayla Ruth - Long Birth Story and PIP

Hi ladies!

Thank you so much for the congrats and well wishes!! I really appreciated them :) .

Little Mikayla Ruth arrived on her due date, Friday 3/30, after about 21 hours of labor, which included 3 hours of pushing!

During my routine OB appointment on Wednesday, I had an internal exam and I was about a fingertip dilated, which was the same as last week. I started to get pretty discouraged and felt like she'd never arrive! Well, as it turned out, I was pretty wrong because the next day I went into labor!

I didn't have any pre-labor symptoms on Thursday except some mild menstrual-like cramps, very light spotting (like a dime-sized amount) and I had to poop twice in a couple of hours, which is just once more than my daily usual, haha.

Anyway, after those things happened by about 6pm, I started to think that maybe I was going into labor, but that it was probably nothing and I shouldn't get too excited. At 6:15, I started having sharp lower back pains and decided to time them, and for an hour they came every 5 minutes. I called the OB on call, who said they might just be kidney stones (even though my due date was the next day!! I was not happy with her...). I timed them for another hour, and they got to be about 3-4 minutes apart, with some mild cramping after each one. My husband had to talk to her because I couldn't even talk through them! She was pretty nonchalant about it but said I could go to L&D to get checked but I'd probably get sent home.

After about 30 minutes of getting monitored in triage, I was only about 2 cm dilated. The resident was super dismissive and said I could either go home or walk around the hospital for an hour and get rechecked. I was in so much pain that I couldn't imagine going home, so we walked around. That was horrible. I was in so much pain with each contraction, which was about every 2 minutes, and I was yelling and scared the poor hospital staff :) . When we went back to get rechecked, I was stretched to 3cm, and my membranes were swept. The resident told me that I had 3 choices: I could either go home and labor (she also suggested I have a glass of wine and relax, I wanted to kill her), I could walk around some more (also not a good option, as I was yelling even louder through each contraction), or I could get admitted to internal medicine and get morphine, but she told me that actually, internal medicine would be hesitant to take me because I would make them think I was having the baby imminently by the sound of my pain, and I'd make them nervous (?! um, what?!). So she changed option #3 to be getting the morphine in triage. I opted for that, but it hardly did ANYTHING, and I was still in horrifying pain. They decided to admit me around midnight, and I was able to get an epidural fairly soon after getting into a room. It was amaaaazing.

After being in labor for the rest of the night, it was finally time to push at about noon the next day. The epidural did very little at that point, and pushing was so much more painful than I ever imagined it could be. And it went on for 3 long hours. My husband was fantastic though, and his encouragement and patience couldn't have been more helpful. I don't think I could have gotten through it without him. 

Anyway, here's a picture of our little munchkin :) . I'm still in shock that she has red/strawberry blonde hair! I assumed she'd have dark hair, but I have a couple of relatives with red hair and my husband's hair was somewhat red when he was younger, so I guess that's where she gets it from. She definitely isn't the "easiest" baby, but we think her cuteness makes up for it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mikayla Ruth - Long Birth Story and PIP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"