Breastfeeding

anyone else emotional and nervous?

As a FTM I find myself getting worked up about breastfeeding.  My little guy is 4 weeks old and I have been able to take all other parts of motherhood in stride. However occasionally I get super panicked and worried about messing up feeding. The kiddo is gaining weight, has all the right number of diapers, and I am working on regulating oversupply, so  I know I am over thinking it but I can't figure out why this makes me really nervous.  I think I feel like the milk just showed up overnight and it could disappear just as easily!  

Does anyone else find themselves all worried for no reason?!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker
image image

Re: anyone else emotional and nervous?

• Tooootally normal - though you're lucky, you're having very minimal problems with BFing, so congratulations! 

I wish I could tell you that the unreasonable worrying goes away, but it really doesn't. I still check on DD a couple times a night to make sure she's still breathing, which is entirely ridiculous. Many moms I talk to say it really never goes away until your LO is married, and then it's your grandkids you're worrying about!

Honestly don't worry about your milk right now - it sounds like you're doing a great job.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kas80kas80 member
    Totally normal.  I obsessed about my supply for the first 6 months.  I was constantly worried about not feeding her/pumping/drinking enough and my supply dropping.  Once I passed the 6 month mark I found new things to obsess about and completely stopped thinking about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think it goes with beign a mom to be nervous about something. I started worrying about DS gaining enough weight (big problem for the first few weeks), then about keeping up my supply, then hitting milestones, baby proofing, speaking, birthday parties... I'm sure it will continue until he is like 30.

It gets better. It really does.

• As much as you read about supply issues on here, if you are with your baby much of the time, nurse on demand, and don't take medication that would mess with your supply, it would be extremely rare for your milk to just "disappear."  And even if you do have some supply issues down the road if you go back to work, there are many, many ways to boost your supply or you can supplement with a bit of formula and still nurse and provide mostly breastmilk for your baby.

There are enough things to worry about in the world, don't let this be one of them!

• Thank you!  I know I am being crazy on this one, but I guess it all comes with the territory :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"