August 2012 Moms

Registry overload!

My hubby & I took our first "official" trip to Babies R Us to begin our registry.  We find out what we're having this upcoming Wednesday, so we figured today would be a good time to get acquainted with the store, sign up for the registry, and start selecting some of our gender-neutral items (baby monitor, bottles, etc. etc.).

We were only in the store for about an hour before we (or at least I) got TOTALLY overwhelmed.  I have a hard time when there are a million options in front of me, so seeing a whole aisle full of strollers, another full of pack 'n plays, etc. was a bit much.

Just wanted to get some advice on things you ladies did to help you narrow down the choices and feel less overwhelmed.  My husband's mentality is to just select the item that you think is cutest...but of course I'm worried about reviews and getting "the best."

TIA!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Anniversary 

Re: Registry overload!

• I think I saved myself a lot of stress by just doing it all online. I thought of items one at a time and just searched through Amazon reviews from there. I knew if I went in a store I would be overwhelmed by so many things and I wouldn't like not knowing what other people thought of them. I also decided not to register at a store, but just stick to Amazon, due to prices and variety.  What we may do closer to our shower invitations going out, we may take a walk through a couple baby stores to see if there's anything we may have overlooked, then head over to Amazon.
    Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • We did a lot of research on big items before registering. We then registered on amazon as a reference. Babies r us and target were a breeze :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Get the Baby Bargains book. I'm a FTM and felt totally overwhelmed, but after researching options with the guidance of that book, I feel so much better!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • research before I even got there & the book "Baby Bargins" really really helped
  • I didn't take my H until the third visit to the store. I first went with my best friend who already has 2 kids. Then I went with my mom. I figured H wouldn't be much help anyway. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Do it online and read the reviews, go back with a friend whose had a baby in the last year. It's helpful!
  • imagemagdalenamtz:
    I didn't take my H until the third visit to the store. I first went with my best friend who already has 2 kids. Then I went with my mom. I figured H wouldn't be much help anyway. 

THIS! Go with a girlfriend that has recently had kids because they will be honest about what you need and what you don't. GL! 

Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went with two girlfriends before even bringing my SO. He has a 4year old daughter, so he's not totally out of the loop but at the same time really just wants me to be happy with the choices. Taking the girls was a BLAST.. One has an older son and a toddler nephew so had the experience. The other is just a riot (literally. We came around one isle and she's standing there wearing a nursing pillow with a breast pump up to her boobs over her shirt) took a lot of the stress off as I knew which items I wanted mostly. He was very excited to choose the baby monitor though.. He was playin with one set up in store and decided we 'had to have it' 

Shane 8/19/12 Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • I started my registries online and added a few bigger items I researched and knew I wanted.  Now that we know it's a girl, I've slowly been added some clothes (basically onesies, but girl styles).  When I visit my sister in a week, (she has 3 LO's and we are very similar in lifestyle) we are going to go together and she's going to help me.

My point is, I'm doing it periodically over time so I'm able to research and not get overwhelmed.  And don't forget, you can always add "too much", research or decide later, and then delete it online. 

Edit: Also, I'm putting things I like on Pinterest.  Mostly nursery ideas, but it's a good way of helping me sort out how I want to decorate.

• When we registered for DS we did it in store & I registered for everything on the checklist that BRU gave us. When we got to the big items that we wanted to "test drive" we'd add 2-3 of each item that we liked best (like 2-3 car seats, strollers, swings). Then I'd looked up the reviews and chose the best one to keep on the registry. I did the same with a lot of the smaller items like bottles, bath tub, etc. -- things like the bottle warmer or wipe warmer I just took off completely. I changed my registry around A LOT!!!

I wanted a Target registry too since a lot of our family don't have a BRU near and won't shop online. I started that one online, I just took half of my BRU items and put them on it. I made sure they were all 'in store' items.

It sounds like a pain in the a** but it really wasn't. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • I followed my own list and the advice of a friend who went with me. (She has two kids)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • read Baby Bargains to help you narrow down brands/options for the big items.

do most of your registering (especially for big stuff) online where you can consult reviews (amazon.com is best place for reviews).

then finish up in store.   

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • I went with my SIL who just had a baby last year (so 90% of items are still the same) and it was great to hear what was useful, not useful, good brands, etc. Definitely recommend going with someone who has recently had a baby.
    imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Just take your time and do it the way you think is right...read reviews. I don't think it's possible to leave that store not feeling overwhelmed. Take a friend with you who has recently had a baby (within the past 2 years or so), have her walk through the store with you, showing you things she couldn't live without, things that are good to have, and things that are just unnecessary. Then go home and relax. The next day (or a couple days after) go onto the website to check over the items again. Compare what you put on there to the other brands, and see what features/reviews you really care about and change things if you don't like the brand you originally picked. If the one your friend showed you still wins, then leave it.

Otherwise, just go on the website and search for each thing individually and sort through them on your own. You've got plenty of time, so just don't stress yourself out about it. Chip away at your list day by day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"