Stay at Home Moms

For those that have a Honda Pilot...

...do you know if/think it could fit 3 car seats?  Or 2 car seats and an adult?

I currently drive a CR-V and DH and I have decided that, with the baby on the way, I need a bigger car.  Right now, I'm leaning towards the Pilot or a Jeep Grand Cherokee. 

My brother and his wife are TTC and have approached me about watching the baby when he/she arrives.  If that's the case, we'll need something that can fit 3 car seats.  Even if I don't wind up watching the baby, we still need something that could fit 2 car seats and have enough room for Jordan, for when we go out as a family.  Do you think the Pilot would work?  Thanks for any info!

Re: For those that have a Honda Pilot...

• It's and 8 seater so it can fit 6 carseats if you want:-)  But you can fit three carseats across one row (or two car seats and an adult comfortably in the middle).  We have done both.  And we have had car seats (mostly boosters) lining both rows when I drove for a field trip for preschool. 

The third row folds down (we generally keep it down unless we need the seats) to make for a very roomy trunk space.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • lautilauti member

With two RF carseats it will be tricky.  If your older son is in a booster or some other FF seat, you might be able to put that in the 3rd row, but if he can't buckle himself in then you will be climbing over things to get to him.

You might want to look at something that has 3 rows but Captain's chairs in the middle for easier maneuverability.  I have friends who have a GMC Acadia and they like it.  They fit a RF seat, a FF seat and a Frontier-like seat in there. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Duh.  As you can tell, I haven't looked into them.  I didn't realize it had a 3rd row.  That's good to know, but I think I'd rather have something where we didn't have to use the 3rd row.  Seems like more of a hassle than anything...especially if I do wind up having to put two babies and Ben into the car.

Thanks for the info, ladies! 

• we have a pilot...it'd great for our 3 and 5 years olds and their buddies...with infants, i think if have chosen the odyssey!
  • It can accommodate 3 car seats but the 3rd car seat would have to be in the 3 rd row. The middle seat of the second row cannot safely accommate a car seat due to the lack of a LATCH in that position and due to the seat belt design. The salesman told me it was safe but when I had it inspected by a certified car seat technician, they were very clear that the middle seat could not properly perform in the event of an accident.
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • imageLouise06:
    It can accommodate 3 car seats but the 3rd car seat would have to be in the 3 rd row. The middle seat of the second row cannot safely accommate a car seat due to the lack of a LATCH in that position and due to the seat belt design. The salesman told me it was safe but when I had it inspected by a certified car seat technician, they were very clear that the middle seat could not properly perform in the event of an accident.

I think your carseat tech was misinformed. The ladies on car-seat.org are huge fans of the Pilot and there's one who routinely installs 6 seats in her Pilot. It takes a bit of extra effort to install certain seats in the middle, but it's absolutely possible to get a safe install in that position.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ta78ta78 member
    My brother has a new pilot and has fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row when watching DS. I would probably use the 3rd row, but it is possible.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• According to the Britax, you cannot install it due the fact there are two buckles for the seat belt. They are clear about this in the Britax manual. It is not a traditional 3 point belt since it buckles on both sides of your lap. Perhaps it is different for other manufacturers. The car seat tech,who was the supervisor, did not think any car seat could be safely secured here due to the buckle design. The owners manual also does not say that a car seat can be placed in this position. They also do not have rear tether in this position. Perhaps, it is different for the newer model. The place I had it checked at only does car seat inspections (6 days a week), so I am pretty sure they know their stuff.
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Okay, so you have to pick which seat carefully. I know that the woman on car-seat.org is a tech and is able to get a radian safely installed in every location, so that rule must be specific to britax. Also, what year were you referring to? As far as I'm aware current models have 6 tether anchors and 4 sets of LATCH.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, in the 2011 there are 6 LATCH anchors in the second row. There isn't a place for a tether for RF on the floor, but it's alright to use a Britax seat without one. DS's seat is RF in the center of our second row.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLouise06:
    It can accommodate 3 car seats but the 3rd car seat would have to be in the 3 rd row. The middle seat of the second row cannot safely accommate a car seat due to the lack of a LATCH in that position and due to the seat belt design. The salesman told me it was safe but when I had it inspected by a certified car seat technician, they were very clear that the middle seat could not properly perform in the event of an accident.

My Pilot has the latch system in the middle seat that passed care seat safety inspection. . . part of the reason I bought the Pilot is so I could have three seats across that row so I didn't have to use the back seat when watching my nephew.  The third row, for me, is when we are toting extra guests. 

And we use the latch system totally for the car seats- so the fact that the middle belt is buckled on both sides doesn't matter because of the latch system.  Maybe it is the newer models. . . .

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"