Cloth Diapering
Options

To use cloth or not to use cloth

I am currently pregnant with my second lovie, due in November.  I was working full time after DD was born and relied heavily on a babysitter (sometimes 10-12 hours/day).  My babysitter would not budge on using disposables, so I bit the bullet and just bought really expensive cotton disposables.  This time it looks though I may be home.  I'm trying to decide if I should invest in cloth diapers this time around.  A few questions:

1. Do you think it's worth the investment, even if I'm only home a few months?

2. What are your cloth diapering must-haves? (brands, accessories, laundering aides, etc.)

3. Soiled diapers with an EBF baby are relatively easy until solids begin.  How do you deal with larger messes from babies eating solids?

Thanks so much for your wisdom!

Re: To use cloth or not to use cloth

• Options
    Have you checked out the FAQ at the top of the boards main page?  Try there first, there is a vast wealth of information there.  As for your questions, 1. will you cloth diaper when you are at home in the evenings and weekends after you start back to work or just for the time you are off?  2.  Diapering must haves check out the FAQ  3. Get a diaper sprayer attach it to the toilet and spray off the poop - easy peasy.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We're beginning potty training DD, so I doubt I will switch her over.  The goal is for her to be potty trained before the arrival of baby #2.  If I do return to work, I'd like to use cloth diapers during baby's time at home.  I'm just concerned about not reaping the initial investment with cloth diapering only part time.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1. Do you think it's worth the investment, even if I'm only home a few months?

If you are saying you will only use them for a few months then it's only worth it if you are getting prefolds and covers, the cheapest way to cloth diaper. But it's entirely possible to both work and cloth diaper.

2. What are your cloth diapering must-haves? (brands, accessories, laundering aides, etc.)

Prefolds, covers (thirsties), snappies, wipes warmer (might as well use cloth wipes), cloth wipes, wet bag, diaper safe detergent (I use planet), diaper safe diaper rash cream (I use California baby), diaper sprayer.

3. Soiled diapers with an EBF baby are relatively easy until solids begin.  How do you deal with larger messes from babies eating solids?

Haven't had this issue yet. I hear this is when a diaper sprayer becomes helpful. I defer to the others.

• Options

Pick the diapers you like.  As long as you take proper care of them, you can sell them when you are done and get money back - so you will still save a ton of money in the long run.  I have 2 in cloth, and I didn't start until 2 months ago!  I'll probably break even in cloth vs disposable in usage, but once the diapers are sold, it's not even in the same realm. 

My personal must haves are my Fuzzibunz wet bag, grovia to-go wet bag, RnG detergent, my Bumgenius diaper sprayer, tea tree oil since we are battling yeast, CA baby diaper cream, flushable liners, and my personal favorite diaper is the Thirsties AIO.  I also MUST have hemp and bamboo inserts, a bamboo fitted for overnight for Owen, and Thirsties covers. 

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Options
    I'm not sure it's worth the investment. We did a trial with Jillian's Drawers when DD was a newborn. They didn't work out for us very well because she cried more in cloth and we had tons of leaks. I tried again when she was older with the dipes I had liked the most- thirsties duos- and she outgrew them pretty quickly. When she was 9ish months, I bought some more dipes (kawaiis), and have had repelling issues from detergents/creams. So, if all goes well from the beginning and you go the cheap way of prefolds and covers (which have turned out to be my fav anyhow), it'll be worth it. If you have to switch detergents a few times because of rashes or other issues or uou buy certain dipes that don't work out, it might not be worth it. As PP said, you can resell dipes, so that helps. We use Up and Up when we use sposies and they are so cheap that I don't feel like cloth is cheaper, especially for the smaller sizes. I also have to say that poo with solids can be a pain as well. I bought a sprayer, which is not as easy of an install as I thought because of the kind of toilet we have, and my husband hasn't installed it yet. So I dunk. Not fun. But even with a sprayer, you have a sopping wet diaper that needs to be transferred fron toilet to pail and the whole thing can be difficult with a toddler who wants to 'help'. All of that said, I still use cloth as much as I can because the amount of garbage from disposables really bothers me. I really recommend a trial to start off so you can just get a feel for it all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"