September 2012 Moms
Options

Passover foods anyone?

I was looking overmy grocery list for Passover and started thinking about all the foods I normally eat and if there would be any problem foods during pregnancy? Anyone gone through Passover before while pregnant? Can I have gefilte fish? Chopped liver? Will the matzah really screw me up digestively?

Hopefully there are some other Jewish moms out there that can advise! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Passover foods anyone?

• Options
    A little here and there won't hurt.  So if you have a small piece of gefilte fish at a sedar, I would say you'll be fine!  A good breakfast thing would be Matzah Brai (sp?).  You know the egg and matzah scramble.  With DD I was pregnant during passover and working at a Jewish School...and the Jewish mothers there told me that G-d gives you a bye for keeping Kosher for Passover when you're pregnant.  Good Luck!
  • Options

I've been told that chopped liver is a no-no, as it is organ meat. There are some really good vegetarian chopped liver swaps out there. I live near a Whole Foods and have been dreaming about their veggie chopped liver for weeks. It should finally be available during the week. :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Personally, I don't care for gefilte fish or chopped liver, so that's not a problem for me.  I think everything else would be fine.  Martha Stewart has a really good recipe for Apple Matzo Brie that I make every year.  She also has a flourless mocha chocolate cake recipe that I make as well (not sure if you're avoiding coffee though;  I don't and it's only a tablespoon for the glaze anyway). 

Personally, I struggle with my digestive system every year when it's passover (I have all kinds of GI issues anyway), but when I had DD it was awful, so I only could tolerate it about 2 days before I was just in abdominal pain.  So, since I'm having an all kinds of issues again with this pregnancy, I probably won't do well with it and will likely have to stop very early on.  I'd say though that things that will ease the constipation factor would be key- dried fruits, tons of water, etc.  I'd probably limit the matzah consumption as well. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I figueroa no chopped liver but was hoping on the fish. I'll definitely check out those other recipes you mentioned! Happy Pesach to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"