Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

bumpers in the crib (clicky)

I want to put the regular bumpers back in DD's crib bc they look nice but I'm still scared bc I find her up against the breathable ones all the time. What kind of bumpers are in your LO's crib?
[Poll]

Re: bumpers in the crib (clicky)

• I used breathable bumpers initially then took them out when DS was about 10 months old because he was standing on them in the crib. He has pulled up on the side of the crib a few times (can't get his legs over or anything, just pull up an inch off the mattress), so I will not be putting them back. IMO, once they can stand and walk, you can't sue the bumpers because they can use them to climb over the crib. Sometimes an extra inch of fabric is all it takes.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We took away the bumpers around 6 months when he started pulling up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've had the breathable once since the beginning. I like how they look, so I never considered trading them for regular bumpers.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• he has a bumper in his crib....but he's been sleeping with us for the past 10months lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think by almost two, she should be fine.  And FWIW, DD has never tried stepping on her bumper, but that might not mean much because she shows no interest in getting out of her crib.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

SS-We bedshare still.

But when she does nap in her own bed (which is hardly ever-and she has a big girl bed) there are regular bumpers on it.

• By the time I felt comfortable enough with her sleeping, (around 1 yr) I couldnt use them because now she can climb on them.  Never used the dang thing.

• never had a bumper, never needed a bumper.  I don't really see the point of them and LO has alwas been fine without one.

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• We have regular bumpers. Mostly because if we have nothing he sticks his legs through the rails. I don't worry about him suffocating on them, those worries are gone once LO is strong enough to roll over and lift their head on their own, right? 
    flight photo flight_zpsa49d4a0f.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker TickerI'm a -retired- bronze super member Hi, I'm Dave's wife...
  • I got the cute regular one that came with her bedding set.  I figured we wouldn't use it, which we didn't.  I also figured that I could make some cute throw pillows out of it later, which I still intend on doing.  
  • We have wonder bumpers which are breathable but plush and very cute. They were super expensive but I LOVE THEM

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had breathable ones.  Took them out around nine months because once they stand you really don't want bumpers because they create something to stand on to hop out of the crib.  
  • We've used them since DS began rolling over (about 6 weeks).  If we don't have them, he gets his arms and legs stuck in the slats.  We don't really worry about him climbing them because they are also collapsible.  13 months and never an escape.
  • The only time we had DD's regular bumpers on her crib was before she was in the crib ('cause they looked so darn pretty), but scared-mommy mode kicked in and we bought breathable bumpers. She used them up until a few months ago (even though I washed them often, they got dingy looking)...now she has no bumpers and is perfectly fine.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I used regular bumpers with all three kiddos and planned to take them out when they were able to move around but, all of mine got in more trouble getting arms and legs getting caught in the rails without the bumpers.  I left the bumpers in.

I really think it depends on your baby and how they move about in the crib.... 

• imageougrad1:

I used regular bumpers with all three kiddos and planned to take them out when they were able to move around but, all of mine got in more trouble getting arms and legs getting caught in the rails without the bumpers.  I left the bumpers in.

I really think it depends on your baby and how they move about in the crib.... 

This is the same for me.

• imageRochell:
    he has a bumper in his crib....but he's been sleeping with us for the past 10months lol

This.

Siggy Badges

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagecmhicklin:
    I think by almost two, she should be fine.  And FWIW, DD has never tried stepping on her bumper, but that might not mean much because she shows no interest in getting out of her crib.

Us too. We've had regular bumpers since she was moving and hitting her head on the crib slats/getting her legs stuck. She snuggles them all night.

• I voted no bumpers, but it's not a breathing issue, they were taken out when he used them to climb out of his crib at 14 months. 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I used breathable bumpers when DD was younger, but took them out when she regularly pulled to standing. I didn't want her using them as leverage to climb out. 
    DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I did the opposite of what most have done... DD had a bare crib for the first year-ish, then I added them in when I stopped worrying about suffocation.  She is still in her crib with bumpers at over 2.5 yrs old and has never once climbed out of her crib.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageVMRRN23:
    I used breathable bumpers initially then took them out when DS was about 10 months old because he was standing on them in the crib. He has pulled up on the side of the crib a few times (can't get his legs over or anything, just pull up an inch off the mattress), so I will not be putting them back. IMO, once they can stand and walk, you can't sue the bumpers because they can use them to climb over the crib. Sometimes an extra inch of fabric is all it takes.

This exactly, except I used regular bumpers. We never had an issue with them 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I used breathable ones once she started rolling, but took them off once she started standing in her crib so she wouldn't use them to climb out

I would NEVER put non breathable bumpers on a crib - its a SIDS risk because it reduces air flow in the crib as well as for the risk of suffocation

dd bumps her head on the crib bars once and awhile - but its really no big deal

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"