December 2012 Moms

Advice on choosing good Prenatal Vitamins?

Hi guys!

I'm a first time mom to be and I must say that I am as overwhelmed as I am excited.  I spent nearly an hour in Walmart (mostly in the vitamin aisle) comparing multi and prenatal vitamins.  Any recommendations??

Thanks

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice on choosing good Prenatal Vitamins?

• my doc prescribed me some.. OB complete or something.. 100 bucks a month :(  they better be good
    TTC since 10/2010; 3 rounds of clomid 2011- BFNs; IUI #1: 6/2012 BFN; IUI #2: 10/2012 BFP, lost our little one around 6 weeks; IUI #3: 3/2012 BFP, Beta #1 13dpo: 464, Beta #2 18dpo: 3,727. U/s #1:5 sacs, 4 heartbeats! U/s 4/26: 5 heartbeats! BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take Spring Valley pre-natals.  I got them at WalMart.  From what I understand, the biggest thing to look for is folic acid.  What to Expect When You're Expecting says it should have 400-600 mcg, but I actually think I read 800 somewhere else.  Also, if you think the vitamins might make you sick on the stomach, either take them at night or buy the gummy kind.
  • Loading the player...
  • I take Target up & up.  OB had no problems with it. 
    imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm taking the vitafusion gummy prenatals, the spring valley and the ones the Dr prescribed me made me want to throw up. These taste yummy and have all the folic acid and omega-3 you need.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doctor said to make sure it has iron as well as the folic acid.  She also recommended buying a brand that you only have to take once per day.  I found the Rainbow Light Prenatal One, and I like it.  It gave me awful migranes when i took it during the day, though, so I switched to taking it at before bed and it's been totally fine. 
    BFP #1 EDD 12/17/12 | m/c @5w1d (blighted ovum)

BFP #2 EDD 5/19/13 Let's do this!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm using Nature Made + DHA and they are over the counter.
  • I use Target Up & Up gummies.  I love them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageDeethebee:
    I'm using Nature Made + DHA and they are over the counter.

Yes

• I use the prescribe Citra natal vitamins. They are huge but I've never had a problem. I know as morning sickness kicks in many women have trouble taking prenatals, so what you take may change! I don't think it really matters as long as it has folic acid. Also some have a lot of iron in them - that can cause constipation (and first tri is already bad enough in that department). The ones I have have a stool softener which does help.

ETA: One more thing - if your prenatals are making you sick, try taking them at night instead.  That changed things for me and made it much easier for me to handle them.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I went to the pharmacy and bought some on Thursday, the minute I got a surprise positive on a pregnancy test, as the bottle I had in my home had expired in 2010. Doh! 

I picked the One A Day brand because it was on sale at my pharmacy. Folic acid content is the thing to look for, especially early on in pregnancy. The brand I picked has 800 mcg. 

• I'm an acupuncturist who has gone through a lot of fertility training (and am now 4 wks pregnant with my first baby!), and we were told that whole food multivitamins will allow for the best absorption.  I would recommend Rainbow Light or NewChapter Organics; you can find either at amazon on the subscribe program (or single purchase) for cheaper than in a health store.  I personally take Rainbow Light Organic Prenatals, plus NewChapter Prenatal Omega 3 fish oil.  The fish oil is made with wild Alaskan salmon, which has a very low mercury level so should be totally safe.  To be on the safe side, I haven't been eating any fish since I'm taking those pills every day.  Rainbow Light also makes DHA pills, though I'm not sure of the source.  It might be small fish, also low in mercury. 

Good luck!!

• When I first started TTC my doc reccomended Therologix Prenatals.  The downside with these is you HAVE to have something on your stomach.  If I dont I get soo nautious.  They taste a bit like yogurt though.  Its about $15 for a 3 mo supply.
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"