September 2012 Moms
Options

Easter/DH Vent (NPR)

DH and I are in a mixed religion marriage.  I know what I want from my holidays...and that's what we do.  When I ask him if he wants to celebrate his holidays when they are coming up he say, "Yes."  Then I ask him how he wants to celebrate, he always says, "By celebrating it."  THAT MEANS NOTHING TO ME!  I HAVE NEVER CELEBRATED EASTER OR CHRISTMAS! I'm totally fine with doing whatever, but it isn't my holiday and I have NO CLUE where to start!  Does he want me to get DD and SS Easter Baskets? If yes, What the heck am I supposed to put in them?  Why is it so ridiculously hard to get an answer out of this man?!?!

Re: Easter/DH Vent (NPR)

• Options
    that sounds frustrating! maybe he doesn't understand what you mean? everyone celebrates easter differently, easter baskets, easter egg hunts, dying eggs etc. perhaps start by talking about what his family did for easter when he was a child and going from there?

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think men are programmed to give us straight answers! That would be too easy! My DH never does either.

As for Easter baskets- we always just got chocolate and a small toy or pajamas. My mom would sometimes hide them for us or they would be on our beds when we got up. Not sure if that is what your DH is used to or something else.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Do you mind me asking what your religions are?

And I dont know what t say about your DH but Id say  you could do an easter basket for your kids and as far what to put in them I usually dont do a lot of candy just one or two special types and them I try to find age appropriate books about spring and what easter is all about and maybe some fun lil toys. I try to keep it about what the holiday is about not the goodies that have been associated with it. Easter isnt about the bunny its about Jesus. If you need more info on easter I can help if you like.

I hope this helps. Sorry your DH is giving you such a hard time on the matter,

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersPhotobucket
  • Options
    I'm Jewish, DH is some form of Christianity.  Neither of us are really into the whole spiritual part of the holidays...more about the family traditions.  For example, at Chanukkah, I want us to light the candles and I do 1 present for everyone (usually a movie). For Passover, I'm content with 1 sedar, so telling the story and everything that goes along with that.

It is really difficult for me to get anything out of DH about his childhood because his mom passed away when he was 15 and his dad has made himself scarce in DH's life since then.  FIL is now remarried to a witch who just happens to be Jewish.  As for as his family traditions all I know is that this woman has changed every family tradition that they had.  Why she has changed holidays that she never celebrated before bewilders me, but that's how it is!

I may attempt to call SIL and ask her, but I am very uncomfortable with her, so that would take a lot of mental prep on my behalf.  I just wish he'd tell me what he wants!
  • Options
    Funny that you posted this because I was JUST going to vent about MH and Easter. I am Christian, MH is agnostic, his brother is adamantly atheist and parents are completely apathetic. Yet somehow, we are expected to rotate years for Easter like we do with thanksgiving (even years with my die, odd years with his). It drives me crazy because I don't know what his family is celebrating since none of them believe in the resurrection! It doesnt bother me as much with Christmas since it's become so commercial, but Easter Sunday is a very holy day and, IMO, should be celebrated as such.
    ~ Waiting for our Little Spartan~
    Our Baby Boy is due September 8, 2012
  • Options

Well if thats the case maybe start your own tradition and just keep it simple. 

Do some small easter baskets and maybe an easter egg hunt and that way your celebrating but keeping it simple and easy. And maybe throw in there why easter is celebrated as the kids get older.  Keep it simple hun and im sure all will go well.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickersPhotobucket
  • Options

Growing up I was raised Catholic, but we were never really that religious. This may give you some ideas on starting your own family traditions since it seems you don't have much info into YH's traditions.

My parents would put together Easter baskets for us & we would open them together once we woke up. We had to wait until everyone was up & together before we could start. Here are some items from over the years that would be in the baskets: small candies in plastic eggs (jelly beans, m&ms, etc.), chocolate bunny, a childrens book, coloring book w/ pack of crayons or markers, pair of new pajamas or a new t-shirt, a little toy or stuffed animal, small gardening set (small plant pot, some type of flower or veggie seeds, and the soil...I always loved getting something like this as a kid because it was fun to plant the seeds and them take care of watering them & tracking the growth for the following weeks), if we were going on april vacation then we'd get a bathing suit. We only did Easter baskets, no egg hunt or anything. Occasionally we'd dye eggs, but that was usually too messy for my moms liking.

Hope this helps or inspires some ideas!  Like I said, I always loved the mini plant gift as a kid. It was a nice way to incorporate the change of season to spring & get us active in wanting to help my mom with the coming gardening activities that she would always have us help with in the yard. 
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options

Well usually when the boys were little we would dye Easter eggs the day before Easter.  I'd put them back in the refrigerator and make them into deviled eggs for Easter dinner the next day.  After that I would let them get their Easter baskets ready.  I'd buy the fake grass and they'd get to put some in their baskets.  After they went to bed, I'd put candy and usually one small toy in the basket and then hide it.  They always have to hunt for their basket in the morning - they really like that part.  The older they got the harder I'd hide it.  :)  Some years I'd put a little candy in plastic Easter eggs also and hide them outside for them.  It kind of depended on the weather.  That helped pass the time until we went to the grandparents' house for Easter lunch.

One funny thing that happened when my youngest son was about 3..I had put a can of Countrytime Lemonade in their basket.  When he saw it, he held it up and said, "Look mom!  Beer!"  I about died!  We don't even keep beer in the house and I had no idea that he knew what it was! 

• Options
    imagecautionwillburneyes:

One funny thing that happened when my youngest son was about 3..I had put a can of Countrytime Lemonade in their basket.  When he saw it, he held it up and said, "Look mom!  Beer!"  I about died!  We don't even keep beer in the house and I had no idea that he knew what it was! 

Haha too cute! Kids say the funniest things :) 

Pregnancy Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"