Stay at Home Moms

NSAHMR: Honda Pilot & Acura MDX

Do any of you ladies drive either of these vehicles?  DH and I are going to test drive next weekend, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on features or overall input?  Thanks!
DD #1 - 01.08
DD #2 - 03.13

Re: NSAHMR: Honda Pilot & Acura MDX

• We have an MDX and love it.  I really don't have any complaints about it.  Even DH likes it and enjoys driving it and he's not a fan of SUVs.  Just last weekend he was driving the MDX and was saying what a good choice we made buying the MDX and would buy another if we had to.  

My sister has a Pilot and she really likes it too.  DH drove my sister's car one time and said he slightly prefers the MDX because of the height of the vehicles, the MDX seemed a little more stable.  He did like the visibility with the Pilot a little better because of the large rear window.  

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • We have the RDX and it is a great car.  I wish we had bought the MDX though because of the 3rd row, so I am now getting a Highlander Hybrid in a couple of weeks, but DH is keeping the RDX and we are selling my mazda 5.  I test drove the pilot, and it was no where near as nice to drive as the MDX.  Acura makes a great car. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJOEBunny:
    We have the RDX and it is a great car.  I wish we had bought the MDX though because of the 3rd row, so I am now getting a Highlander Hybrid in a couple of weeks, but DH is keeping the RDX and we are selling my mazda 5.  I test drove the pilot, and it was no where near as nice to drive as the MDX.  Acura makes a great car. 

Well, technically Honda makes Acura.  I'm pretty sure that the Pilot and MDX have the same engine.  

Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • imageroxy_jj:

imageJOEBunny:
    We have the RDX and it is a great car.  I wish we had bought the MDX though because of the 3rd row, so I am now getting a Highlander Hybrid in a couple of weeks, but DH is keeping the RDX and we are selling my mazda 5.  I test drove the pilot, and it was no where near as nice to drive as the MDX.  Acura makes a great car. 

Well, technically Honda makes Acura.  I'm pretty sure that the Pilot and MDX have the same engine.  

This is true, but the drive of the Acura is less like an SUV than the honda.  I don't know why, I am not the least bit car geek, but that was my feeling when I drove them.   I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but I would get the acura based on our experience with them (we had our first one for 12 years).

• We have a Pilot and I am SO in love with it.  There is nothing I don't like.  I recommend it to everyone.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • They are pretty much the same car because they are both made by Honda. The MDX retails for $10k more than the Pilot. I have the Pilot, but did test drive the MDX when I was shopping for the Honda. I also know they are the same because 2 months ago when I was in an accident with my Pilot, the collision center it was sent to put it up on the lift to look at the rear suspension (the lady who hit my car, bent my right rear tire completely under the car. The also had a MDX come in the same day for a fender bender, but they put the MDX up on the lift next to mine so they could compare them and see how much damage was done to my Pilot since the MDX is the exact same suspension. The guy loved the fact that he could see what it should look like compared to what mine looked like.

I love my Pilot and after that accident am so glad I drive it. It did exactly what it was supposed to do in a crash and all of us walked away unharmed (the twins were in the backseat). I had some bruising on my right arm from the side airbag deploying, but it was not broken. All the side airbags (curtain airbags) deployed on the passengers side for all 3 rows. From an accident standpoint this car is well made and I am so happy I own it.

The MDX does have some nicer features and of course the Acura name which makes it more higher end vehicle. But I have the leather package on my Pilot and it is very comfortable. I felt the ride was exactly the same on both, very smooth. Especially when you compare it to the drive of the CRV. I love the CRV, my DH has one, but it is a more rougher ride compared to the Pilot/MDX and even my DH says that when he drives my Pilot. I really don't think you can go wrong with either one, just be prepared for a $10k price difference.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a Honda girl through and through, but I don't like the new Pilot body style, so we just bought a 2012 Highlander in January.  I've already put 3000 miles on it and LOVE it.  So I suggest you look at the Toyota also!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DH has the MDX- 2006 with very low mileage- just got it this past July.  He loves it.  He traded in his Cadillac CTS for it- so he misses some of the "smart" features from it... but loves the way it handles and all the storage space!  DS' car seat fits nicely (and so will LO2's when that time comes).... Thumbs up to the MDX!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • ::usually a lurker::

I have a 2004 and I love it.  We were looking at paying 30k for a new pilot or 14k for a used MDX.  I have leather, heated seats, and a sunroof-all that I would have had to pay extra for in a Pilot.

Unless you're set on buying new, I would recommend looking at some older MDXs...more bang for less buck, imo. 

• imageThe_Jen626:
    I'm a Honda girl through and through, but I don't like the new Pilot body style, so we just bought a 2012 Highlander in January.  I've already put 3000 miles on it and LOVE it.  So I suggest you look at the Toyota also!

Yeah, I am not 100% sold on the bread box on wheels look of the Pilot.Smile  I will have to add Highlander to our list. 

DD #1 - 01.08
    DD #2 - 03.13
  • we have a 2010 pilot with all the bells and whistles and we love it...i mostly drive a volvo wagon, because the pilot is my husband's vehicle...but i drive it sometimes and it's a very smooth ride!
  • I have test driven both. I like both for different reasons. We went with the honda odyssey though. The only beef I have with acura would be that the RDX and MDX take premium fuel, unless it has recently been changed. That alone with today's gas prices TOTALLY turn me off to the acura. 
    Colin Patrick-7/14/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"