2nd Trimester

I feel bad. :(

My co worker came up to me. rolled up a chair at my desk and told me she thinks she is pregnant. Then went on to say...."If I am I am going to kill it off F---- that kid" I love beer too much. babies ruin your life. It will be stupid to have a kid because Im too young and hot for that. (we are both 22)  I just sat there....and said...Oh.

Maybe I should have said more, but I honestly didnt know what to say. when people usually come to me in her situation. We have a real talk of whats best and all....but this girl, I couldnt tell if she was serious or not...now i feel like if she was she would think I didnt care about her because of my short response.  

I dont want this to turn to an abortion debate. This is not what this thread is about. Nor do I want anyone to judge the woman. I just dont understand why I choked up. people come to me with their problems everyday at work...and I can usually make them smile...but ummm I choked up. and just said oh? what kind of person/friend am I?

UGH!!!!!!! 

I feel so bad. :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I feel bad. :(

• No, you have no reason to feel bad.  You are filled with a life being created inside of you! Of course you're going to choke up and not know what to say.  If your friend decides to carry the baby and at least have it, even if she decides to adopt it out, she would probably think that she was crazy for ever saying something like what she said.  Your mind, emotions, everything changes once you are pregnant.  Esp. after you get past the Morning Sickness, hear the heartbeat, see the first ultrasound, feel baby move.  I'm tearing up just writing this!
  • Holy cow!  Someone would come up to you and say something like that to you at work?  Where on Earth do you work?

If you feel bad, maybe mention to her tomorrow (or next time you see her) that she caught you off guard, but you'd be more than happy to talk to her about it over lunch.  That way you have some time to mentally prepare.  Or tell her you don't feel comfortable talking about something like that since you are pregnant yourself and it would be upsetting. 

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think you should feel bad at all!  I would have been completely caught off guard, especially pregnant, no matter who came up to me with those words.  It's not even that I would judge them, disagree, etc.  I just have no idea what the proper response would be, especially with a co-worker.  The whole situation sounds extremely awkward and I hope for everybody's sake it's a false alarm.
  • It's sounds like you're known as someone who is easy to talk to and it seems as if she felt it was okay to vent to you without restraint.  It's also possible that she may have thought the fact that with the fact that you are pregnant, she might get some insight into the "joys of pregnancy" from you.

When I was that age, I always felt that if I ever got pregnant I wouldn't go through with it (which is why I was always on some form of birth control), but had friends who had aborted and regretted it saying that once they know there is life inside of them it changed their whole perspective.

It's possible that just having someone to listen to her was enough.

• Wow! That was pretty insensitive of her. It's hard to hear others talk about abortion what you're pregnant. (At least it is for me.) But the incredibly callous way she talked about it would make it even more difficult for me. Sorry that she was so thoughtless.
  • imagegracie__r:

Holy cow!  Someone would come up to you and say something like that to you at work?  Where on Earth do you work?

If you feel bad, maybe mention to her tomorrow (or next time you see her) that she caught you off guard, but you'd be more than happy to talk to her about it over lunch.  That way you have some time to mentally prepare.  Or tell her you don't feel comfortable talking about something like that since you are pregnant yourself and it would be upsetting. 

I work at a community college LOL. Crazy stuff happens there.  

• imagetraceyt07:
    I definitely don't think you should feel bad- I'd be completely caught off guard if someone said that to me!  Especially if they knew I was pregnant!  I'm assuming this woman knows that you are? 
    '

Yep she knows I am. She knows that I am having a girl...the name and everything. She is saw my recent ultrasound.  

• You have a lot of great advice hear.  I can't help from thinking that it may have been a snide remark.  Could she have been saying it on purpose to make you feel like you are stupid?  I don't know either of you or your personalities, but I really hope that is not the case.  If you do feel strongly about your friendship, definitely talk with her about it.  I know some people do regret their abortions later, so it is something you really need to think about before you go ahead with it.  You are a good friend to be giving this a lot of thought.
    Irish Mama Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't feel bad. in your situation, its hard to be objective about that topic. I work as a vet tech, this week we got a couple of animal control cats in to be spayed. as soon as it was discovered that one was 'quite' pregnant, I had to take my lunch break. I don't disagree with what the surgeon did, she saved 3 adult cats from being euthanized in a shelter, but being as pregnant as I am, I just couldn't be in the hospital while that was going on.

Co worker might just have been really freaked out, and that's how she copes.

"Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not feel bad if I were you, and honestly if I was you and that being my friend or even not, I definetely would have said a lot more than just 'oh' Lol. Although I am not saying you did anything wrong, I probably would choke up a little too at first. 
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Wow. I agree with everyone else here. I definitely would have choked up. Who says that????? Don't feel bad. I think your reaction was certainly a natural one, pregnant or not.
    Bravado Bras at Nurtured FamilyBabyFruit Tickerimageimage
  • I wouldn't feel bad at all. I would be more upset with her that she felt it OK to say this to a friend who IS pg and excited about it (I'm assuming you are I guess). And in general, if I were her, I would be a bit more reserved about opinions like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You shouldn't feel bad at all! If anything, your co-worker should be the one to feel like she should insert her foot into her mouth for saying such a callous thing to someone that she knows for a fact is pregnant!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Phrasing it in the way she did was HORRIBLE. Yes, unfortunately, someone who thinks in those terms is definitely not mature enough to handle a child--or be having sex, or live on her own, or drink, etc. Now, thinking "I am pregnant and it's best for me to terminate because I am not prepared to be a parent" is a much more mature stance to take. If someone approached me, knowing I'm pregnant, and said what she said... I'd probably lose my shxt on her just based on the language used. If someone came to me with the mature comment, I'd be very supportive. Just because I am pregnant, want to be pregnant, and would not terminate doesn't mean that others can't have that option. 

I've actually exploded at a few super-feminist types lately. Some people, whether they realize it or not, have very "pro abortion" stances rather than simply "pro choice." I've seen things said about women who choose to be moms and how they're just allowing themselves to be dominated by men and letting their bodies be taken advantage of by a parasite, and reacting to pro life propaganda with their own disgusting comebacks such as "it's not even human--EAT THE FETUSES!" and crap like that. I have taken it upon myself to remind them that pro choice means pro CHOICE, not pro your-only-correct-choice-is-termination. The response is usually "oh well I don't mean in every case." Yeah, but you just told me that what's inside me isn't human. That seems pretty generalized to me. If someone believes "my body, my choice" is how it should be, that also means "my body, my decision to let myself get and remain pregnant because I want to be" is equally valid. I've seen a lot of people forget that part.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"