Stay at Home Moms

On a typical day

How often do you play on the floor with your toddler?  Just curious, since I am a SAHM now, I am trying to find a nice balance.  Thanks!

Re: On a typical day

• I'm not sure if the "on the floor" part is key to this question...

In the mornings I play with my son for probably 30-60 min between all the other getting ready stuff that's going on. Some mornings we have a meetup and he gets good playtime with other kids in, other mornings he walks the dog with my husband. In the afternoon I probably play actively with him for another 60-90 minutes between other things (also note that I have another child so I sometimes combine the play, but other times the "other things" that I'm doing include playing with or caring for her).

When I play with him though it's not "on the floor". It's typically outside, or at his train table, or reading a book on the couch or kicking a ball, or running up and down the hallway etc etc.

If you really want to know about getting down on the floor together to play... probably once every 2-3 days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I probably play on the floor with her about half the time she spends playing.  For example:  When we get up in the morning, I nurse her and change her and we play a little.  Then I let her play on her own while I make coffee, her breakfast, check the computer, straighten up a little bit.  Then we eat and clean up.  Then I play with her until she is ready for a nap.  I found in the beginning I was playing with her constantly and then she started to get pissy when I would leave the room.  We have a much better balance now!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, she's not a toddler, but I probably do about 4hrs a day.  But she's not mobile yet, so I have to keep her occupied on the floor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will soon be three and is finally able to play awhile by himself.  The key now is getting him started then leaving him after a few minutes.  He seems to do okay for a bit.  I actually enjoy playing with him so when it looks like he needs or wants me I get down and play.
    April 2009
  • I try to spend about 20 minutes a day one on one with each child on their own following their lead and on the floor playing what they are playing. 

Other than that time, they play on their own, play with each other, play with other kids at playgroup, go to school, go to swim class, read books, help me with cooking and cleaning and gardening, play with their dad, watch some TV, "read," do crafts, take their baths, listen to me read, horse around, go to the playground, practice gymnastics, play computer games, play board games, look for worms....they have a lot to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"