Parenting after a Loss

Colic, MSPI & reflux mommas

Hi ladies!  What's up this week?  How are your babies doing and how are you doing?  Also, what helps keep you sane through all of this?  Wishing you all peaceful days (and nights) and calm tummies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Colic, MSPI & reflux mommas

• Well, this week has been a study in mixed results.  It's so odd because Pip is really gassy - and sometimes she can just sit and fart 'til the cows come home with no apparent reaction (this is hilarious to witness, because she'll just lift one of her legs and fart, or roll a little off to the side and fart - like it's the most normal thing in the world).  But sometimes when she gets gas she'll just scream and cry whenever she farts, I can't figure out what makes the experiences different for her.  Sad

I'm slowly weaning her off of the simethicone and DH and I discussed getting her off of the Prevacid too.  I'm scared to get rid of the Prevacid - but she's not vomiting like she was - problem is, I'm not sure if she's better because of the Prevacid or if she's outgrown the reflux - I guess we'll find out...

As for the one thing that really helped me keep my sanity - I caught one of her first smiles on my cell phone camera and whenever I was feeling hopeless and overwhelmed, I would take a peak at her pic and it has never ceased to give me a boost and keep moving forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Jertie, glad things are going ok! Good luck with the weaning.

G is doing well. He'd gone almost a week without having a lactation overload episode and then had a really horrible one last Sunday. But :::knocking on wood::: he hasn't had one since. He seems to be having a growth spurt right now (more sleeping than usual, eating more) which is fine except with the L/O I have to be careful how frequently I feed him as it contributes to the symptoms. So every time I nurse right now I'm paranoid that in 90 minutes he's going to have another episide. But so far, so good!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP#1 - 8/27/10 - D&C 10/27/10 @ 13 weeks to Trisomy 18
    Missing our Angel Baby Gabriel
    BFP#2 - 3/18/11 - CP 3/19/11 BFP#3 - 4/27/11 - Due 1/9/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Since switching to formula and finding the alregy and getting him on Nutramegin it is like a different baby.  He doesn't cry anymore and he is so happy.

But the reflux is still he!!.  It is everywhere I can't wear a shirt around him.  He screams right after an episode and then he is done.  But I swear he pukes more that he eats.  But the Pedi won't give him meds b/c he is in the 30th percentile and he says that isn't enough of a weight problem to warrant medical intervention...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRachaelA:
    Jertie, reflux peaks from 4 to 6 months. I would personally be very vary weaning her off of it this early. We're going to attempt to take Em off of her Pepcid right before her next GI (at 6 1/2 months) per her GI's rec. Did you doctor tell you to wean her off of it?

You know, you're absolutely right.  We haven't talked it over with the doc (and her 4 mos appt is in 2 weeks, so we will wait for that and see what she says).

Pottersmommy - I'm with RachaelA, your Pedi sounds like a jerk.  Pip was in the 25th percentile when she was put on her Zantac, then Prevacid.  It's not just about the weight loss/gain - it's unnecessary for your poor babe suffer when there are medications out there that could help make LO a lot more comfortable. 

• I delayed responding to this post right away because I really have nothing good to say. DS had a lousy week. He STTN one night which was cool as all heck, but that's about it. He was cranky and upset most of the week. The past 72 hours he's started having more arching and crying with feeds. He's not due for an increase in his medication till next week but I upped it tonight and will call and talk to the Dr in the morning. He's also reacted to pretty much every solid we've fed him. I'm sure you recall the rice cereal caper. Well, since then, Avocado made him puke (a few days in so hoping it's preference not allergy). Today is day 2 of sweet potatoes and he got welts on his chest, his eczema flared and tonight he's developed a nasty diaper rash. So ixnay the sweet potatoes. Who the heck is allergic to sweet potatoes?

I'm just over it. Instead of things getting better at 6 months (next week) we are stagnant and some days maybe worse. I keep waiting for the "it gets better" part to be something more than an increment. I keep hoping that some day me and my house won't smell vaguely of spit up all the time, and that I can count on sone semblance of a schedule of something. I hope that G will do the things all the other October babies are doing. I had to stop lurking on my BMB because it just stresses me out.

So that's what's new with us. Or, rather, what's old with us.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• imagesandyd:
    I delayed responding to this post right away because I really have nothing good to say. DS had a lousy week. He STTN one night which was cool as all heck, but that's about it. He was cranky and upset most of the week. The past 72 hours he's started having more arching and crying with feeds. He's not due for an increase in his medication till next week but I upped it tonight and will call and talk to the Dr in the morning. He's also reacted to pretty much every solid we've fed him. I'm sure you recall the rice cereal caper. Well, since then, Avocado made him puke (a few days in so hoping it's preference not allergy). Today is day 2 of sweet potatoes and he got welts on his chest, his eczema flared and tonight he's developed a nasty diaper rash. So ixnay the sweet potatoes. Who the heck is allergic to sweet potatoes?

I'm just over it. Instead of things getting better at 6 months (next week) we are stagnant and some days maybe worse. I keep waiting for the "it gets better" part to be something more than an increment. I keep hoping that some day me and my house won't smell vaguely of spit up all the time, and that I can count on sone semblance of a schedule of something. I hope that G will do the things all the other October babies are doing. I had to stop lurking on my BMB because it just stresses me out.

Oh Sandyd, I'm so sorry.  Your post made me feel so bad for you.  I know you love your LO to bits, but it's got to be so hard when all you want is a little bit of "normal".  You're not asking for much at all.  I wish there was something I could do for you - if I lived in Chicago, I would buy you the biggest martini ever.  AND, enough of this nonsense about not posting because you have bad news - we're all here to support each other - good and bad.  ((((MASSIVE HUGS)))) 

• imagejertie:

imagesandyd:
    I delayed responding to this post right away because I really have nothing good to say. DS had a lousy week. He STTN one night which was cool as all heck, but that's about it. He was cranky and upset most of the week. The past 72 hours he's started having more arching and crying with feeds. He's not due for an increase in his medication till next week but I upped it tonight and will call and talk to the Dr in the morning. He's also reacted to pretty much every solid we've fed him. I'm sure you recall the rice cereal caper. Well, since then, Avocado made him puke (a few days in so hoping it's preference not allergy). Today is day 2 of sweet potatoes and he got welts on his chest, his eczema flared and tonight he's developed a nasty diaper rash. So ixnay the sweet potatoes. Who the heck is allergic to sweet potatoes?

Oh Sandyd, I'm so sorry.  Your post made me feel so bad for you.  I know you love your LO to bits, but it's got to be so hard when all you want is a little bit of "normal".  You're not asking for much at all.  I wish there was something I could do for you - if I lived in Chicago, I would buy you the biggest martini ever.  AND, enough of this nonsense about not posting because you have bad news - we're all here to support each other - good and bad.  ((((MASSIVE HUGS)))) 

Thanks, Jertie.  I appreciate the support and yes, a little normalcy is what I'd like.  Just a little.  And not that there is a "normal" really, I know, but perhaps I should say a little "typical baby behavior".  Freinds and family just don't get it, and it makes the whole situation rather isolating.

BFP #1 5/2010 - Missed m/c at 8 weeks
    BFP #2 2/2011
    Baby G welcomed with love and relief 10/2011
    Surprise BFP 1/8/2013...say what? Baby A arrived 9/2013

Motherhood is not for wimps

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"