3rd Trimester

don't know what to make of this....

At my last appointment, my doctor literally used her hands to feel my belly (the baby) and proclaimed "your baby is not that big! ... about 7lbs. 6 oz.!" (She had been previously worried about the baby being "a big baby.") She has been practicing for over 20 years so I want to trust her, but how can she tell from just feeling? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: don't know what to make of this....

• I have no idea how they do that.  Last OB I saw, she felt my stomach, and told me the baby was breech, and then 5 minutes later told me that she had moved.  How she did that without an ultrasound is BEYOND me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • if u have good enough experience u can definitely tell the position and rough baby weight by feeling and palpating in a full term woman .. i know coz there are three ob-gyns in my family
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I can look at a stack of money, and just by knowing the denominations I can guess the approximate amount. Because I use to work in cash vaults and banks. I know what different amounts looks like.

When you work with something a lot, you learn about it. You feel a belly, and have an idea what that size is. Then the baby comes out, and you see how much the baby weighs. Do that a hundred or so times, and you figure it out.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJosie22:

I can look at a stack of money, and just by knowing the denominations I can guess the approximate amount. Because I use to work in cash vaults and banks. I know what different amounts looks like.

When you work with something a lot, you learn about it. You feel a belly, and have an idea what that size is. Then the baby comes out, and you see how much the baby weighs. Do that a hundred or so times, and you figure it out.

nice analogy!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The OB I had with my son, estimated him to be 7 1/2 lbs, by feeling my belly.  When he was born and weighed, she was only 1 oz off.
    IAmPregnant Ticker Support with Integrity
  • My OB felt mine and proclaimed...hmm all baby in there. Ummm yeah! 

• Actually, some really experienced OB's/midwives SWEAR that it's more accurate to do it by "feel" than by ultrasound.
    (An unmatched left parenthesis creates an unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.

The Princess of Anything is Coming!

Had a dream I was queen.
    Woke up. Still queen.
  • imagekris_kelsey:
    imageJosie22:

I can look at a stack of money, and just by knowing the denominations I can guess the approximate amount. Because I use to work in cash vaults and banks. I know what different amounts looks like.

nice analogy!

yes, good analogy. Makes me want to add that I am a mental health therapist and can spot crazy anywhere. Ha ha   I guess it's the same, too, with being able to feel how many cm a cervix is dilated. Must just take practice. I believe that OBs/midwives/etc include their intuition/instinct too and again that is affected by experience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I bet your OB is close, but I will say less than a week before I had my DD, my ob guessed about 7 1/2lbs by feel. DD was 8lb 6oz.
  • imageQueenofAnything:
    Actually, some really experienced OB's/midwives SWEAR that it's more accurate to do it by "feel" than by ultrasound.

This is what my MW told me too.  And, FWIW, I totally trust her more than an U/S.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"