Baby Names
Options

Claire

So I know it's popular. Has jumped to #53 in rankings (and maybe higher come May). But... we're 18 wks along, and finding out the sex in 2.5 weeks (causing me to suddenly ramp into "wow, we'll need to start thinking of names soon!" mode). I have this tendency to fall in and out of love with names. But some just stick for years and years - and I want a name like that! I always loved Claire/Clara growing up and named all my dolls that. And best of all, Dh loves it too (sooo hard to agree, as you all know). The popularity has put a damper on it though yet... it *has* stood the test of time for me and hubby already. Would you make it a top contender?

Re: Claire

• Options
    km3km3 member

I completely understand the frustration with "your name" being too popular.  We've been set on Lily for years but it's become so popular that we threw it out, if we have a girl.

I'd like to say if you love it, keep it on the list, but I know I'd be a hypocrite for saying it!  I think Clara is a lot less popular than Claire, and I love them both.

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I like Claire, more than Clara. It is a good solid, classic name, which explains the popularity. It ages well but isn't too old sounding. And even though it is popular, I don't know that many Claires. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    km - I am RIGHT where you are!! I've thrown it out (and then brought it back, repeat process :)). Sigh. Love the suggestion of Clara, but sadly, it rhymes with my fn and looks/sounds very similar to DH's name. Amazing how one little letter can change things!
  • Options

imageSarahPLiz:
    I like Claire, more than Clara. It is a good solid, classic name, which explains the popularity. It ages well but isn't too old sounding. And even though it is popular, I don't know that many Claires. 

Thanks, Sarah. If we go this route, maybe we'll get a bit fancy with a middle name. :)

• Options
    My DD is named Clara, and it isn't very popular right now, a  lot less popular than Claire. I LOVE her name, and she gets lots of compliments on it. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    km3km3 member

I would definitely not go with Clara then.  Good luck with deciding on Claire!

Edit: because of OP's comment about it rhyming with her fn and being close to DH's name... 

imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagezaramarie81:

imageSarahPLiz:

Thanks, Sarah. If we go this route, maybe we'll get a bit fancy with a middle name. :)

Claire is definitely a name that can stand up to a quirky middle name, even an obscure saint name. I'm bored, so I'll go look for one for you ;) 

• Options

Possible MN:

Anastasia

Augusta

Bridget

Celine

Delphina (also my grandmother's name)

Eugenia

Honorata (or Honora)

Hyacinth

Marcella or Marcelina

Sexburga (real saint, hopefully not Claire's mn)

Scholastica

Principia

Placide or Placidia (my great^3 grandma's name)

Modesta

Matilda

Martha 

• Options
    imageSarahPLiz:

Possible MN:

Anastasia

Augusta

Bridget

Celine

Delphina (also my grandmother's name)

Eugenia

Honorata (or Honora)

Hyacinth

Marcella or Marcelina

Sexburga (real saint, hopefully not Claire's mn)

Scholastica

Principia

Placide or Placidia (my great^3 grandma's name)

Modesta

Matilda

Martha 

Wow, thanks Sarah! These could definitely spice up Claire (Although, Sexburga is yes, too spicy lol). Love Honora, Delphina and Hyacinth (or the Spanish Jacinta). That is impressive you have a Placide/Placidia in your family history.

• Options
    Yes I have a Placide that was married to a Modeste. I imagine they had a pretty tranquil household. My dad's family is Cajun, so there are lots of interesting names back there. 
  • Options

imageSarahPLiz:
    Yes I have a Placide that was married to a Modeste. I imagine they had a pretty tranquil household. My dad's family is Cajun, so there are lots of interesting names back there. 

Placide and Modeste do make for quite a pair. So interesting!

• Options
    I love the name Claire. It's definitely one of the top contenders if we have another daughter someday
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I love the name Claire. I really wanted to use it but it sounds funny with our last name. If you love the name, use it. At 53rd in the rankings, only 0.2516% of the female population will have that name. 
  • Options
    53rd isn't very high at all, in my opinion. I love Claire. If we were having a girl, she would have been Claire Josephine. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD is Clara after her GreatGreat Grandma who is 97. I thought we would call her Clare, but we don't. I like that Clara is a bit different than Claire, and we've had a lot of compliments for using an "old" name.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Claire is one of my favorite names... I love it from Outlander :)
    Me- 28 DH- 36 Diagnosis- MFI IVF baby #1- DD, 2 years old MC at 6 weeks in Feb 2011 (FET) IVF #2- BFP! IVF baby #2- DD, 4 months old
  • Options
    Claire is my favorite girl name, but now DH doesn't like it. Use it!!! It's gorgeous!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think Claire is a stronger name than Clara imo.  I haven't seen it as being super popular, and its a pretty name.
    BFP 03/30/12 | EDD 12/07/12 | DS1 12/01/12
    BFP 06/25/17 | EDD 02/24/18 | DS2 02/19/18
    BFP 12/20/18 | EDD 08/26/19 

• Options
    I would definitely pick Clara over Claire, it's such a pretty pretty name!  It makes it just that little bit different from the Claires (although Claire is pretty, too).
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! Perhaps Claire seems more popular to me because I know several (but none so close to us that we'd avoid using it). But your feedback helps... we'll keep it on the list!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"