Multiples
Options

"You are so small for carrying twins"

I've been hearing this from a lot of people. What does this mean? It has started to make me worry. I saw my babies at my last appt and all seemed well. My doctor does want me to gain weight as so far I've only gained about 5 lbs at 16 weeks, but she wasn't all too concerned at this point. Do people just think because Im carrying two I have to be massive? Two weeks until my ultrasound with mfm, I hope my babies are growing all right. Anyone else ever hear this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: "You are so small for carrying twins"

• Options

ignore everyone but your doctor.

i'm almost 5 feet tall, and at 16 weeks i was still gaining back the weight i lost from m/s. you will gain, you will stop gaining, you will gain, just eat smart and know that everyone carries different. 

• Options

I hear it all the time, but always with a positive tone ("wow you look so tiny for carrying twins", "you're all belly", "you look great, especially for twins").

Im not a a skinny mini at baseline pre-pregnancy, I'd say im average sized, but people always have some pre conceived notion of how a woman "should" look when pregnant with twins and so they always have something to say. I wouldn't worry if your doctor is not worried. As long as you are providing your babies with enough nutrition, that's all that's important. 

Anyway, I think it would be more offensive if people were like "oh yea, you're huge, you look like you're carrying twins". haha

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone wants to have an opinion. Get used to it now because I'm convinced it never.ends.ever!! And seriously, what MoM's have time to sit and listen to everyones opinion?! Eat healthy, lots of protein, lots of water, and listen to your doctor. People way overestimate how much a twin mama really needs to gain. That being said, Dr.Luke (have you read this book) strongly believes that weight gain is strongly correlated to better outcomes for the babies. So...educate yourself and don't stress, you are doing just fine!! 
  • Options

i heard it throughout my whole pregnancy (except from my FIL who said I was the largest pregnant person he's ever seen -- he's clueless though)! honestly, i think most people were correct - i was very small for carrying twins. but really, what did it matter?

i'm tall - 5'8" but small -- a size 2. my babies were 6lbs 8oz and 6lbs 2oz - people were shocked that they were "so big"....another comment i'm tired of hearing.

get used to all the comments about twin pregnancies and twins...it really never ends!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't worry! As long as the babies are growing, you are good :-) I heard that all the time, I didn't start gaining until somewhere around 16 weeks and even lost weight at first. By the end (34 weeks) I only gained 27 lbs total... my girls were 3.8 & 4.2 (I had two of everything-placenta and all) but very healthy less than 2 weeks NICU time and no assistance breathing,eating, etc. The positive when you don't gain a ton, you lose what is there very fast! Also, remember you have 2 babies feeding off of you so you might not gain as much as you think, just make sure those babies are growing and if so don't worry about your weight gain. 

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    At least you're not getting the "wow I can't believe you're showing this much already. You're going to be so uncomfortable this summer." Then I had a nurse tell me I was small for carrying twins and my mom said, "yeah right, she doesn't know what she's talking about". Gee thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    cadencaden member
    I heard the same thing the whole time I was pregnant and it annoyed me too. I think a lot of people have an unrealistic idea of what multiples pregnancies are supposed to look like. I seriously think some of my acquaintances expected me to be double the size of a singleton mom instead of just a few weeks ahead. Try to ignore all comments about your size.
  • Options
    I wish I had that problem. Ive only gained 3 pounds but my stomach has popped out so much already. I feel more like Im 7 months pregnat instead of 3. Enjoy being small. In the end it doesn't really matter as long as the babies are healthy.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, unless it's your doctor telling you you're small, don't worry. I wouldn't even acknowledge the comment. I think people just imagine that since you're carrying twins you'll be this massive freak pregnant lady. 
  • Options

Get used to ignoring what a lot of people say to you.  I had one woman tell me when I was 20 weeks pregnant w/ twins that she was bigger than me when she was 4 weeks pregnant with a singleton pregnancy - and she was serious.  Some people will say bizarre and unhelpful things when you get engaged, get married, get pregnant and have the children.  You will also find some people who are just so genuinely excited and happy for you - people that you know and strangers too.   Don't worry about it - and just enjoy your pregnancy and prepare for the double love you will feel when your LOs arrive! 

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Get used to ignoring what a lot of people say to you.  I had one woman tell me when I was 20 weeks pregnant w/ twins that she was bigger than me when she was 4 weeks pregnant with a singleton pregnancy - and she was serious.  Some people will say bizarre and unhelpful things when you get engaged, get married, get pregnant and have the children.  You will also find some people who are just so genuinely excited and happy for you - people that you know and strangers too.   Don't worry about it - and just enjoy your pregnancy and prepare for the double love you will feel when your LOs arrive! 

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

Don't worry about what people are saying.  You'll find that everyone seems to have an opinion about something especially when you are pregnant with or have twins.  I was a size 0-2 before but gained 45lbs by the time I delivered.  My size had nothing to do with them coming premature either.  You are only 16 weeks, trust me you have LOTS of time to grow!  Good luck!

• Options
    I heard this ALL the way to the end - then when i delivered I even got it from the nurses. :P My girls were/are small, but they are perfectly healthy!  I honestly think people think that if you're PG with twins you should look like octo mom
    photo 41f1f21b-fd5b-40ab-bc31-76a13e270270_zpscf391ac9.jpg
    After 2 years, Injects, PCOS diagnosis and 2 IUI's, we were blessed with our beautiful twin girls!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Baby Girl #3!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

With all comments like this, just know you and your doctor are the experts.  Saying you're small is an attempt at a compliment, so I tried to take it that way, often following up with something like, "According to last week's ultrasound, there's definitely two in there, and they're healthy sizes!"  Often people don't know what a concern that is for MoMs.

Later on, I got the "You're huge!" comments as well.  That one stung a bit, especially toward the end when the hugeness was uncomfortable. I felt a bit like a freakshow when friends and family wanted pictures with me.  Still, I was happy to have made it to hugeness, and tried to keep that in mind.

• Options

At 13 weeks, I had a lady at work telling it was "way too soon for me to even be showing, even with twins!"...she didn't show (with her singleton babies) until well into her 4th (almost 5th month). I just smiled--not like I could suck that baby pooch back in...

I kid you not--two weeks later (15 weeks): same lady, "I can't believe you are still so LITTLE! You should be so huge by now! Are you sure everything is ok with the babies??" I just smiled (which in hind-sight, isn't so funny since we do have 1 that's lagging right now). 

Just found out DH's grandmother (a retired nurse) is very concerned that I am too small to have two babies. I'm 5'5''--pretty average. She said "I'm just not sure where she is going to put all that baby!" Um...the babies grow OUT, thus I get a bigger and bigger preggy belly...I don't have to "put" them anywhere.  

I've just decided that people have no clue, and try to laugh about it.  

• Options
    People are stupid.  Funny thing is at this point I don't get people saying I'm small, but they say "oh you're not THAT big for twins".  At the same time when strangers ask when I'm due and I say May, I get raised eyebrows.  I don't even bother saying I am carrying 2 because that just invites more questions.  I also had a co-worker say she thought I was carrying triplets.  At this point it's all I can do not to haul off and punch people!
  • Options
    I've gained 20 pounds, and I still hear this. I think people forget how far along we are and just expect us to look 9 months pregnant the whole time. It is a little worrying, but I know my babies were fine at our last appointment, and I can feel them moving all the time. Unless your doctor's worried, I wouldn't be concerned.
    ttc since 02/10 first RE visit 01/11 Clomid + TI 03/11, 04/11, 05/11 IUI 06/11, 07/11 IVF #1 - BFN :( FET - 11/11 beta 11/21/11 BFP!!! :). Beta 1 - 319, Beta 2 - 921 1st ultrasound 12/1 TWINS!! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    They don't know what they're talking about; at 17w you wouldn't be measuring *that* much farther along anyway. I got that comment a lot but I was always measuring right within the average range for a twin pregnancy.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    imageCuteBride8808:

I hear it all the time, but always with a positive tone ("wow you look so tiny for carrying twins", "you're all belly", "you look great, especially for twins").

Im not a a skinny mini at baseline pre-pregnancy, I'd say im average sized, but people always have some pre conceived notion of how a woman "should" look when pregnant with twins and so they always have something to say. I wouldn't worry if your doctor is not worried. As long as you are providing your babies with enough nutrition, that's all that's important. 

Anyway, I think it would be more offensive if people were like "oh yea, you're huge, you look like you're carrying twins". haha

And this is true, too.
    I think they mean it as a compliment, though later in pregnancy it kind of annoyed me b/c I knew I was carrying a ton of baby (and placenta and amniotic fluid!) weight and it was slowing me down more than I would have at that point in a singleton pregnancy, so it almost felt like they thought I shouldn't be slowed down at all since I wasn't "that big." Oh well. :)

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

I'm 21 weeks (ok, I'll be 21 weeks tomorrow but same diff at this point).  Anytime I mention that I'm pregnant with twins people are shocked.  It doesn't even look like I'm pregnant with one!

I lost 20 pounds right away and haven't gained a single pound back.  I'm a bigger girl to begin with (not huge, just bigger) so I won't show as early as others but I look exactly the same.  Catches people off guard when I'm looking for twin strollers or anythi

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options

I'm 21 weeks (ok, I'll be 21 weeks tomorrow but same diff at this point).  Anytime I mention that I'm pregnant with twins people are shocked.  It doesn't even look like I'm pregnant with one!

I lost 20 pounds right away and haven't gained a single pound back.  I'm a bigger girl to begin with (not huge, just bigger) so I won't show as early as others but I look exactly the same.  Catches people off guard when I'm looking for twin strollers or anything else associated with twins.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • Options
    i always get "wow you're going to be a house!" either way as long as your babies are healthy that's all that matters. every womans body is different and we all carry different. trust your doctors and get to know the milestones and you'll be fine.
  • Options
    My whole pregnancy I heard that. I had gained 41lbs total at the end and was 180, apparently I just carry well because of a long torso and being a little taller. I frankly was insulted by this comment though because it made me feel like I wasn't feeding my babies and it didn't help that my daughter was IUGR and my son was on the smaller side. I gained the right amount though, it just didn't go to my kids enough...
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageSwitzerland87:
    I agree with PP, unless it's your doctor telling you you're small, don't worry. I wouldn't even acknowledge the comment. I think people just imagine that since you're carrying twins you'll be this massive freak pregnant lady. 

This exactly.  I gained 50 lbs by 35 weeks and was measuring at 42 weeks.  I'd get the "wow, you're huge - is it twins?", then when I confirmed it actually was twins, I'd get "wow, you're so small for having two in there!"  My boys were 5 lbs 7 oz and 6 lbs 10 oz.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"