Stay at Home Moms

If you had one girl and one boy would want more?

As you can see my question is if you had one of each would you want still want more kids? I always thought no I wouldn't but lately now that my little guy has turned 1 I'm starting to question myself. So would you stop or keep going?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you had one girl and one boy would want more?

• I love both of my kids to pieces.....

But I think I want another boy. I am loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooving being a mommy to a little man. Love love love it. Especially at his age- everything is so much fun.

But I knew I wanted more than 2 kids- so having the 'perfect family' i.e a boy and a girl .... isn't 'perfect' in my mind.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I ALWAYS get asked when we're going to "try for a girl."  So annoying.  For me, the amount of kids we have has nothing to do with sex.. I'd love to have all boys if that's how it goes!  So yes, if I had a boy and a girl and saw a larger family in my future - yes, I'd have another.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have one of each and am pregnant with another boy.  I never really felt 'done' with two kids...and I think I would have thought that regardless of what their sexes were.  I have a 14 year age gap between my kids, so I'm excited for Ben to have a sibling that's closer in age...which is part of the reason why I always wanted a third.
  • We would have been done if we had a boy and a girl.
  • Definately, but I already knew I wanted 3-4 kids. I always wanted a girl and now I don't care. Although another girl would be good from a practical standpoint
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not in that situation, but when I had the girls, it wouldn't have mattered if I had a third girl. It's not about the sex of the baby for us. We just knew that we wanted a big family.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • If I had a girl and a boy, I would still want more. BUT I think DH might be fine stopping at 2 kids if we had once of each. So, I secretly kind of hope that we have another girl so we can have more. (Though I would feel so blessed to have another child - either sex!)
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • I have one of each and we're done, but we probably would have been done regardless. I guess your family either feels complete or it doesn't. 
  • I want 3 kids regardless of their sex. I'll admit I'm very sick of people asking us if/when we'll have a boy. We will likely have a 3rd kid, which we've said since before we got married, but we'll be just as happy with 3 girls as with 2 girls and a boy. In fact, it'd be nice not to have to buy a whole new wardrobe and to have the flexibility for them to switch who shares a room with who at their whim!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have one of each and are definitely done.  Although, our decision to have two doesn't have anything to do with the sex of our children.  We only wanted two and even if we had two girls we would still be done. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • Thanks to the reply's. I know as of right now if I do figure out I want another one it would be about 4-5 years down the road so by that point I would probably change my mind 100 times but just thinking I guess.
  • I've got one of each living. I HATE hearing oh now you got your girl and boy you're done. NO! I already had another son, but he passed away when I was 20 weeks pregnant. 

I want at least one more, and it has nothing to do with having one of each here with me. I just don't feel done.  

Andrea 7/9/08, Joaquin 4/18/11, boy coming 12/18/13 Forever missed: Gabriel 11/24/09 at 20 weeks
  • I have DD and I am pregnant with a boy.  If one more person tell me, "you have a perfect family" or "one of each, great".  Well hate to burst their bubble but, I am NOT finished. I have heard it on more then one occasion.
  • imagesteelermama86:
    I have DD and I am pregnant with a boy.  If one more person tell me, "you have a perfect family" or "one of each, great".  Well hate to burst their bubble but, I am NOT finished. I have heard it on more then one occasion.

YES!  So annoying!

We want another just because we want another

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • We want 3 children. Whatever gender they are, I will be happy. 
    Ella 8.6.11
    Carson 3.28.13
  • imageHarrietNJMommy:
    I'm not in that situation, but when I had the girls, it wouldn't have mattered if I had a third girl. It's not about the sex of the baby for us. We just knew that we wanted a big family.

This.  

• I think we would be 2 and done regardless of the sex, but I like having a boy and a girl.  I wanted a boy the first time, got a girl.  I wanted a girl the second time, got a boy.  I like both, but don't think that one or the other or one of each really makes a difference to me. 
  • Absolutely! I'd love 3 kids, whether it's 2girls/1boy, 1girl/2boys, or 3 girls.

I think what sex your kids are is the worst reason for deciding whether or not to have more. You should decide if you want more based on whether you feel like your family is complete.

• I hate how often people assume that we must be done since we have boy/girl twins (an instant family!). I want at least one more. 
  • We really only wanted 2.  If we had had two boys, we might have given another thought to a third but when we found out she was a girl, that sealed the deal and DH got snipped.
  • We've always talked about having 4 or 5, regardless of what sex they are. I was hoping DS would be a boy, and I'm kind of hoping for a boy the second time. I'd love to have either, of course, and I would love to have a girl. But if we have five boys, then that would be awesome, too! :)
  • having one of each makes it easier for us to stop here, count our blessings, and feel complete. it's neat for both of us to have these mini versions of ourselves running around. i say that, but i have no idea what it would be like to have 2 of the same sex, so i'll just say that whatever you have becomes your ideal family!
  • I would probably still want more, because I really want two of the same sex! Usually the opposite of what people expect to hear. I think three of the same sex would be so much fun...or four! I'm just weird like that.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • imagewifeandmama:
    I ALWAYS get asked when we're going to "try for a girl."  So annoying.  For me, the amount of kids we have has nothing to do with sex.. I'd love to have all boys if that's how it goes!  So yes, if I had a boy and a girl and saw a larger family in my future - yes, I'd have another.

Same here.  I hate that people view the "perfect family" as having one boy and one girl.  It makes me want to barf.  DH and I are planning to have a third and would be THRILLED with another girl.

• I have one of each and I want one more. Dh would probably be okay with stopping if I felt done, but I don't.  When I found out I was having a girl last time, the comments about my "perfect family" only spurred my desire to have more on.  I was a little hormonal. :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • My parents had my brother and then me. My mom always says "God only makes 2 kinds, so we stopped there." But for me, I don't think it will matter. I have a boy now and would love a girl at some point but I think we'll have more than 2 regardless of gender.
  • Right now I am pregnant with a little boy & eventually I WOULD like to try for a little girl, but I'll be happy with whatever God gives me...  Happy & healthy is more important to me than gender, but if the dice were rolled that way & I had one of each, it'd be great!  Either way, I'm happy.  : )
  • imagewifeandmama:
    I ALWAYS get asked when we're going to "try for a girl."  So annoying.  For me, the amount of kids we have has nothing to do with sex.. I'd love to have all boys if that's how it goes!  So yes, if I had a boy and a girl and saw a larger family in my future - yes, I'd have another.

This is us exept we get asked it we are going to try for a boy.  The sex of the kids has nothing to do with our number and we will go until we are done (which is at least 2 more) regardless of how many of each we have.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Yes. We have what seems to be ideal to many people, a boy and a girl three years younger. I was thrilled to have a girl because my first delivery was awful and if the second delivery was hard we were going to be done. The second delivery was fantastic, so we will have a third and possibly a forth. We love the 3 year difference and will likely continue that.
  • We only have one (and are possibly done) and I get so annoyed when people ask us if we want a girl next. At this point I don't freaking care as long as it's a baby, but in a perfect world I would LOVE another boy.

I really don't understand the whole boy + girl= perfect thing. If I wanted 2 kids or 3 kids or 10 I would have them regardless of their sex.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have one of each and I know we are done. It's a good feeling to know we can be done with the baby stuff and move on with our young family. I'm so excited to have fun with the kids now.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We have a DS and a DD and are having another LO. To us it was about wanting another baby, in general, more than it was wanting another boy or girl. We did go through a phase where we thought we were done having LOs, and while this wasn't the reason, we did acknowledge that it was "easier" to be done at 2 b/c we had a boy and a girl. But also, we both want a larger family, so other than that brief period where we thought we were done, it's not surprising we're having a 3rd. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are going for #3 in June, so I am not done.

DH and I always said if we got a boy/girl we were going to stop but we don't feel done.

• I used to be one of those people who thinks a boy and a girl are the perfect family. I don't know why, that was just how I pictured things. Maybe it was because that was all I knew -- I grew up with one brother, my mom has one brother, and my dad has one sister. Also, my mom's brother has a boy and a girl, and my dad's sister has a boy and a girl. We were a whole extended "perfect family."

After I had DD, I seriously considered being one and done. Having one of each no longer seemed to matter. DH and I didn't decided to try for a second child until DD was 3-1/2, and even then I had a preference for another girl because I thought it would be neat for DD to grow up with a sister. As it happens, I'm pregnant with a boy. So I guess the "perfect family" tradition continues! Regardless, we would be stopping with two children. DH and I have no desire for a larger family. 

• We are done at 2, no matter what we have. So no, I wouldn't want more. Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimageimage
  • Our 1st are b/g twins...I can't tell you how many comments we get daily about "way to go, all done at once" , "I would be done if I were you", etc.

I always wanted 3-5 DH said we would start with 2 and see about a 3 (before knowing we were having twins). Now DH and I are both hoping we are blessed with one (or two) more. 

Mom to preemie b/g twins born 14 weeks early after 3 years of IF, 8 clomid cycles and 1 IVF. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I am pregnant with my boy and  already have my girl. I only really planned on having 2-3 kids. But the third would have only been to get the opposite sex if the first two were the same. But since I have my 2 me and the hubs agreed a family of 4 is enough :D
  • Absolutely.  We want more than two kids.
    Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • It has never been about the sex of the kids for us.  We actually decided we were done after our two girls, then this little surprise came along, and lo and behold, it's a boy.  We were shocked and are extremely happy that we will get to experience both sexes, but if you asked us a year ago, our family was most likely complete.  We would have felt the same way whether we had started with a boy and a girl, or two boys.  

I get annoyed these days when everyone assumes we tried for a boy and finally got lucky.  "Congrats!  You finally get your boy!"  Blah.  A third girl would have been great as well, especially because it would have meant using all of our baby girl clothes again.  But I have had fun shopping for this little guy.  :-)

BabyFruit Ticker On our way to 3 under 4! DD1 1/22/09 DD2 7/16/10 Baby Boy Due This Summer!
  • Wow Thank you all for you reply's! Someone on  here said (I can't remember who) something like I just always grew up thinking one of each was the perfect family but now reading all of the comments really makes me realize that its totally not the gender its the amount of kids that your want. I said earlier that I'm pretty sure that were done but I also just have the little nudge inside of me saying I want more. I know for sure DH doesn't but I'm always hopeful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"