Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Q about MC care

I went to my OB on Wednesday and he said that I am mc-ing. I haven't started bleeding very heavily yet, but still just spotting. My worry is that once I start bleeding it will be a lot, and I'm not sure what I should do. Everything I've read on here from previous posts say that tampons are a no-no. I usually have to wear a tampon and a pad with AF every time, and if this is heavier, I'm not sure what to do. Buy a diaper? (like depends or something?) I mean, I don't want to have a massive bleed out at work. I'm not really sure what to expect, so if any of you have any pointers, that would be great!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Q about MC care

• I took off work.  I just couldn't do it.

With my 1st miscarriage I bled a lot.  Like changing every 20 minutes a lot (and they told me I could use tampons so I had a super plus tampon and a pad and was changing every 20 minutes).  However, I was 10 weeks at that point so there was a lot more there.  With the other 2 I was 6 and 7 weeks.  Oddly I bled less than my regular periods.  I think it just depends.  I do not know what they are for sure (but I think some sort of depends type pad) that they use in the hospitals for women who have babies, but I'd look into that if you're concerned.  

Sorry for your loss.

• I should clarify that I was told dr that I could use tampons for a short time.  I had to run the dog to the vet (you know, because in the middle of me having  a miscarriage the dog had to have surgery and then had complications from said surgery and DH doesn't get paid for sick days so I sent him to work as I'm cheap) so I was only using them for a short time to be able to make it 2 miles up the road and back.  Sorry, I forgot to include that and was only trying to explain that the bleeding was extreme for a time, not suggesting you use tampons.

Oddly enough though with that miscarriage in the end I had a D&c and the OB who did it (mine was on vacation) actually told me I could use tampons immediately after.  (Of course it was also done in the office without anesthesia so it was sort of weird from the get go.)

Since seeing an RE this goes against EVERYTHING he's told me for any procedures I've had done with him that were even less invasive than the D&C so now I wonder about that OB.

• Loading the player...
  • My miscarriages (this one is the exception) were very early on.  My first one was during DS#2 birthday party.  The cramping was uncomfortable but not horrible (took tylenol).  The bleeding was heavy but no heavier than a period.  Once I passed the tissue the bleeding let us immediately.  At the heaviest I was probably using 2 pads an hour for about 1.5 hrs.  Then it was fine.  No at the party knew something was going on.

My second m/c I was at work at a training more than an hour from home where I had car pooled with staff to so I couldn't just leave.  I started spotting the day before so I kind of knew it was going to happen soon.  This time the cramps were pretty mild and the bleeding was less.  I would say about one pad an hour for 2 hours and then the pads lasted much longer.

That said, I think it depends on far along you were.  The further along the more (I would think) you would bleed b/c your body has built up more.  For this miscarriage (it's a missed one so I'm not sure when it will start, if it does at all on it's own) I have 3 pads in my purse to at least hold me until I can get to a store or home. Every m/c is different so you wont know until your body reacts.  My cramps with the second m/c were almost normal period like ones where as the first one literally sent me to the bathroom in pain.

I'm so sorry you joined us but best of luck to you during this time.

Wonderful DS#1 9/14/06** Wonderful DS#2 3/29/08**

Natural m/c 3/28/10 5w6d** Natural m/c 9/4/10 5w4d**

BFP: 2/27/12. u/s showed blighted ovum at 9wks Natural m/c started 4/11, cytotec 4/13/12 (at 12 wks). **

First appt with RE 5/7. Testing complete. Dx: luteal phase defect

BFP 10/25/12. u/s on 11/16 confirms heartbeat image

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

•  I am sorry for your loss.  With my missed mc, I was soooo thankful that I had 4 big packages of pads, and a sample of depends in my closet. I used them all. When the bleeding got bad i put a depend with a pad in it and just replaced the pad every half hour or so. I got sick of changing my pants/underwear.  I also took some time off work once we decided to do the cytotec to start things. You want to be in the comfort of your own home when going through something like that. I went back to work and it was a little too soon. I passed tissue in the employee bathroom and it was hard to try and process it and put a smile back on my face and get back to work. I just wanted to be home so I could emotionally deal with it they way I needed to. So I highly suggest taking some time off work, and make sure your ready (physically and emotionally) before you go back.
    BFP #1 03/2010 EDD 11/18/2010 DD born 11/03/2010 BFP #2 12/02/2011 CP on 12/05/2011 BFP #3 12/28/2011 EDD 09/10/2012 Missed mc @ 9w3d on 02/09/2012 D&C 03/06/2012 BFP #4 04/24/2012 EDD 01/02/2013 CP on 04/29/2012
  • Sorry, I may sound a little dumb on this, but what is the difference between a "missed" miscarriage and a miscarriage. I've been hearing the term a lot, but I'm not really sure what it means.

and btw: Thanks everyone for the tips and kind words!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • A missed miscarriage is where the baby stops growing but your body still thinks it's pregnant.  You don't have any bleeding or cramping.
    DS born 7/4/2007 TTC#2: 01/2012 | BFP: 02/07/2012 | EDD: 10/18/2012 | MMC: 03/22/2012 (10w0d) D & C: 03/23/2012 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagejanastep73:
    A missed miscarriage is where the baby stops growing but your body still thinks it's pregnant.  You don't have any bleeding or cramping.

oh! ok. Thanks!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm very sorry for your loss.

Another reason for using pads is to be able to better judge how much your are bleeding. All three of my doctors (my RE, my OB, and my Peri) told me go to the hospital if I bleed through a pad in less than an hour.  

Married 4/12/08 DS born 11/17/2009 via c-section at 39 weeks. 11/12/2011 BFP #2!! m/c 7w5d. 2/28/2012 BFP #3 Beta #1-12dpo = 18; Beta #2-16dpo = 185; Beta #3-18dpo = 505. EDD 11/10/2012. Ectopic discovered at 5w4d. D&C followed by methotrexate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"