June 2012 Moms
Options

Would you wash the baby's clothes again?

A friend gave me a huge box of baby clothes.  They are all in perfect condition and I know she washed them before giving them to me.  I just assumed I would wash them all again because I'm washing everything before the baby comes.  But, my husband pointed out that they were all just washed and didn't know why I would go through the trouble of doing it again.  Would you wash them all anyway?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you wash the baby's clothes again?

• Options
    If they had been washed recently and I knew the person well enough to know that they were truly clean, I might think about skipping the washing if there were a lot of them. But if they've been sitting in the box for any length of time, I'd wash them in case they got dusty. But then again, I'm on baby #3 and I have a little boy who gets so dirty that he ends up changing at least twice a day just so he can come back into the house for lunch and supper! So my laundry piles up fast already.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I would. You don't now what kind of detergent she used or if maybe she put in fabric softener or something.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yes, regardless of who gave them to me. Nothing against my friends, I just want to make sure everything is clean and it's not going to hurt anything!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If you put your own clothes in a box and then wanted to wear them again in 11 weeks, would you wash them before you wore them?  I'm assuming yes.  Don't wash them immediately, but I would probably toss them in the washing machine aroudn 37 weeks or so.
  • Options
    A friend gave us her cradle and sheets and told us they are freshly washed, but I am going to wash them again. Maybe paranoia but my husband had a lot of allergies and was sick a lot when he was a baby so I just want to be super careful everything is super clean!
    Alison & Britten-Married April 16, 2011 in Miami Beach Farrah Ann arrived May 4, 2012- 6 weeks early! 5 lbs 6 oz. and 19 1/4 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would.  Even clean, nice people have can have bed bugs.  Running the through the washer/dryer can't hurt.
  • Options
    BRBR member
    imageSweetHurricane:

I would. You don't now what kind of detergent she used or if maybe she put in fabric softener or something.

You are right.  I didn't even think about the detergent.  Duh.

• Options
    BRBR member

imageStefaniepr:
    If you put your own clothes in a box and then wanted to wear them again in 11 weeks, would you wash them before you wore them?  I'm assuming yes.  Don't wash them immediately, but I would probably toss them in the washing machine aroudn 37 weeks or so.

She packed them in the box two days ago and I took them all out last night.  So, no, they will not be in a box for 11 weeks. 

• Options
    BRBR member
    I knew my initial feeling to wash them was the right one.  It can't hurt.  Thanks, ladies!
  • Options
    Yep, we just got a bunch of hand me downs in the mail from one of DH's friends.  He looked at me like i was nuts when I dumped them right in the hamper, but those are getting washed.  I'd do the same if it came from one of my friends. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    I actually learned something interesting from a friend who has a 1.5 year old - her daughter got a rash very soon after being born, and it turned out that she just had to get used to the detergent that was used in the household. It sounds like maybe it's best to introduce LO to whatever you'll be using on his/her clothes from the get-go
  • Options
    I have washed all the clothes I got from other people.  Didn't know if they used a different detergent or something and it doesn't take much to fit them in a load.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I always do. I am OCD like that though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemikeandcristina:

Yes, regardless of who gave them to me. Nothing against my friends, I just want to make sure everything is clean and it's not going to hurt anything!

I agree with this. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Again I am OCD so take this with a grain of salt. A friend of mine at work has a 4 month old, so I am getting all the hand me downs (AWESOME) and she assured me her mom has washed everything and is super anal about laundry so I BETTER not wash them. Well I have gotten 3 huge bags from her, and have done 3 loads of laundry Embarrassed.

I can't help it! I figure it isn't killing me to wash it, so why not! Plus its not like she gave me all this stuff at once like the day of my shower and I had all the shower stuff to wash AND the stuff from her, so I was able to spread it out over a week.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would. 
  • Options
    I would rewash.  If there are a lot of clothes, just wash by size.  Right now I am working on newborn and 0-3 months.  I'll do the rest later.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"