Trouble TTC

When to move on.....

Hello.....I introduced myself awhile back but haven't really been posting on this board since I frequent TTGP at the moment.  Here's a little re intro:  DH and I have been married going on 2 years in May and have been TTC for over a year now.  Last month we did our first IUI which was a bust and moved right into our 2nd one in about two weeks now.

My question is:  when is it time to move onto IVF?  I know most doctors won't do more than 3 or 4, but ultimately its your decision.  My thinking is IUI may be cheaper but IVF has better odds and why keep piling up that money on IUI's when you can save it for IVF.

I know this is only my second one, but wanted to hear other opinions on when to move on.  Thanks!

party-fails-crunk-critters-bruce-isnt-good-with-tequila
see more After 12
Just because something isn't happening for you right now doesn't mean it will never happen.
IUI #1 - BFN IUI #2 - BFN
IVF - Starting injects May 25 IVF #1 - BFP!

Re: When to move on.....

• I personally agree with my RE's assesment. He says 80 percent of people with our dx get PG within the first four. So we're doing the two more with injects. But it really all depends on insurance coverage, dx, age, etc.

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I think it is a personal decision.  I tend to think like you though.  I know IVF is no walk in the park (in fact I am scared) but with being out of pocket if my odds are better at IVF then that is where I want to put my money.  (I most likely have endo so that changes things a lot for me though)

TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET c/p
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F/2-8 cell grade 1 transfer
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    6R/4M/4F 1 compacting and 2-8 cell transfer
    ectopic pg MTX given 3 month break from TTC

IVF#4 Sept 2013--BFN
    IVF#5-7 Apr 2014, Jun 2014 and Aug 2014 banking embryos for CCS testing. Praying for normals! Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

http://i61.tinypic.com/34zll06
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with Kati....there are so many variables to consider it's hard to make that call.  A lot of depends on what your RE thinks (like Kati mentioned....how good of a chance is he giving you based on your age, diagnosis, past response, etc.)

IVF is a huge decision, so I lean toward not worrying about coulda-shoulda about 'wasting'  money on IUIs in order to save money for IVF, and instead just move forward one step at a time.

ETA:   I think it's different for OOP girls....I might be singing a totally different tune if I was OOP

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSuz+Mo:

I agree with Kati....there are so many variables to consider it's hard to make that call.  A lot of depends on what your RE thinks (like Kati mentioned....how good of a chance is he giving you based on your age, diagnosis, past response, etc.)

IVF is a huge decision, so I lean toward not worrying about coulda-shoulda about 'wasting'  money on IUIs in order to save money for IVF, and instead just move forward one step at a time.

ETA:   I think it's different for OOP girls....I might be singing a totally different tune if I was OOP

This-for us, we only had a 10-15% of IUI working and 50% with IVF.  We're OOP so we didn't want to waste the time and money on IUI's that wouldn't work.  We tried twice and then moved on-which is what my RE recommended due to my DOR.  Had they felt it could work and advised us to try some a couple more IUI's I would have.  IVF is scary (scarier if you're OOP), so its really just what you feel comforatble with.

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• We did 2 IUI's before moving to IVF.  I did not respond very well to the meds during IUI and our RE thought our best shot was IVF.  Obvioulsy, it is a big step financially and emotionally so you really need to do what fits best for you and DH.  Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • I agree with Manda.  That's how DH and I feel about our treatments. We don't want to put too much into IUIs and not get the chance at IVF financially if needed.
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Like others have said it's a personal decision about when to move on to IVF - what's right for you will not be right for someone else.  Having said that, I knew it was time for us to move on when I no longer had faith that IUIs would work for us. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"