3rd Trimester

Another BRU Registry Vent

So I got my registry completion coupon in the mail today and in the fine print it says that the registry completion excludes basically everything they sell in their store:

Excludes all toys, baby food, diapers, formula, wipes, sale items, Ameda, Aprica, Baby Brezza, Baby /jogger, BOB, Britax, Bugaboo, Cybex, Closet Organization products, ERGObaby, Furniture, Mamas & Papas, Motherhood Matertnity clothing, Nap Nanny, Pediped, Peg Perego, Phil & Teds, Quinny, Robeez, Tommee Tipee, Under Armour, electronic learning toys, books, tablets, games, Apple products, FAO products, RobotGalaxy, gift cards, photo portraits, phone/special/online orders, and breast pumps.

WTF? I would also like to point out that I received ZERO rewards bucks that were promised as a result of our registry being linked to our BRU Rewards account because that program is conveniently being "phased out." We have been ripped off SO BAD! This registry program is a total joke. Baby items are cheaper at Walmart and Target than they are at BRU, even with the 10% discount. Who would ever register here anymore? I seriously might write a letter to the company. Shame on you Babies R Us!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Another BRU Registry Vent

• It's lame!! I'm glad we don't live near one, it's two hrs away. Even though we did register there I buy everything at Target which is around the corner for us. Walmart is definitely cheaper then BRU!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yeah. BRU is a rip. We registered at BRU and Target. I compared the prices of all of the items and had the least expensive option on each registry. 

Check amazon for big purchases before doing your completion. I set up a private registry through amazon and used the 10 percent discount on my breast pump and extra car seat base. I saved a TON! 

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • i was able to use one of their random 20% off coupons on my manual breast pump, but that still only made it about $3 cheaper than it would have been regular price at Target.

i mostly go for the clothes, and i only buy them on sale. i have gotten some very good deals, because sometimes they have "$10 off of $50" for clothes, and it doesn't matter if they are already on sale.

(my local target has a very small selection of infant clothes. walmart is useless for clothes, as far as i am concerned)

ETA: the babies r us happens to be within 2 miles of my house, so that's part of it. i can't see myself making many special trips if it were farther away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think all of their coupons have those restrictions on them.  The Rewards R Us program has worked well for me, so far I have $30 in rewards to redeem from people buying off my registry.  I also earned $40 in December because my dad and stepmom bought our crib & matress for Christmas gifts.  I agree with things being over priced, for sure!  But if you shop around, see where you get the best deal.  The last few weeks everytime I check out at BRU I get 2 more 20% off coupons, so I just go back and use them for an item here and there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I find the coupon very annoying and have found plenty to be annoyed with at BRU, but, I will say that not everything is cheaper at Target.  I have definitely seen some things quite a bit cheaper at BRU...for instance the Bare Naked Boppy pillow is like 6 bucks cheaper.  Also BRU has a much better selection in general, and especially of high quality options than Target or Walmart.  I would be totally on board with Target if they would like double the size of their baby department and offer more selection.  I feel like, at least at stores around here (MN...Target headquarters state), they try to have a 'little of everything' so they stuff about 1 of each product together on a shelf.  It feels really cramped, disorganized, and there is never a great selection on any one product.  Also, if looking for anything higher quality, like a stroller, you can maybe find 1 or 2 higher end options but the price is the same at BRU.  Whereas, if stroller shopping at BRU you can definitely see a wide range of low, medium and high end products and test them all out to find the best one!

So...in conclusion, both Target and BRU are extremely annoying, lol.   

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We got ripped off too. They gave us our completion coupon in the store but we found out that the store didn't carry our monitor which was one of our most expensive items. Well, we decided that since you can only use the coupon once, we would order everything online. Guess what? You can't use the coupon online! BRU sucks!!! We spent about $350 so that would have been $35 in savings! We have had problems with them from the very beginning. They ordered our crib but then couldn't find it once it arrived. They are AWFUL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That restriction is on pretty much all of their coupons. That's nothing new.

I've actually had nothing but really good experiences at our BRU. We only got a few items from our registry when we went in to use the completion coupon. There was 3 items from the registry and probably 25 items not on the registry (I was feeling lazy and didn't feel like adding all that stuff). They took the registry discount off of everything and loaded the car up for us.

We were also warned of an upcoming killer sale when we went to buy furniture. They advised us to come back in 2 weeks... waiting those two weeks saved us just under $400.

I've found that their customer service is vastly different depending on the location. Huh?

• I am not a fan of BRU. For all of the same reasons that are constantly posted on here. Their coupons are seriously a joke considering they exclude half the store. And yes, Target is so much cheaper. (I also do not support Wal-Mart)
  • I just got mine last week and used it on the breast pump, diapers, wipes, tommee tippee products and $400 more worth of little stuff we needed. Try using it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I only registered at BRU for the free gift bag lol...my registry is hidden though.
  • Ohhhh how i hate BRU!

But for some stupid reason, most of my family & friends were ONLY purchasing off of my BRU registry. I had so many more things on my Buy Buy Baby registry that I had to put them on BOTH! ....once I did that, people purchased off the BRU! BBB is *such* a pleasure to deal with and handle returns. BRU is a nightmare! I feel your rant! 

• imageAngelaParish:
    We got ripped off too. They gave us our completion coupon in the store but we found out that the store didn't carry our monitor which was one of our most expensive items. Well, we decided that since you can only use the coupon once, we would order everything online. Guess what? You can't use the coupon online! BRU sucks!!! We spent about $350 so that would have been $35 in savings! We have had problems with them from the very beginning. They ordered our crib but then couldn't find it once it arrived. They are AWFUL!

I used mine online. Also, you have 1 day to use it. You can shop in the store using it and buy things online that same day using it. If they want to take it from you when you check out, just write down the code that's on there to use online.

ETA: This is for the coupon they mail you. Maybe the one they give if you get it in store is different.

• Do you have a Buy Buy Baby near?   I much prefer it over BRU!  It's owned by same company as Bed Bath and Beyond and it's organized much better! 
    loren
  • Funny--I was just thinking today about how awesome my experience has been at BRU! We have a full-size store near us and almost every single thing on my registry was stocked in the store.

Judging by what DH's fam bought for our wedding, I went ahead and attempted to register at Walmart as well. I say attempted because Walmart MAKES you register online now. They don't even offer the little registry guns in the store (and haven't for at least 2 years!). The problem with this is that hardly anything on my registry was carried in the store, and vice versa! 

I avoided Target altogether because I've heard horror stories about returns there. Overall, BRU customer service has been AWESOME, they graciously take returns and they do have great sales and deals! I guess you just have to watch for them and pick the right store =/

First came love, then came marriage - Oct 31, 09
    Then came a miscarriage March '11
    Then came a baby in the baby carriage May 16, 12

Waiting on our second little peanut!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • I have been happy with BRU.  I had 2 of the 20% off coupons that they give you at checkout, and even though they say 1 per customer they let me use both.  I don't like that you can't use those online though and the twin breast friend pillow is only available online... so I will get that from amazon for cheaper.  But other than that, everything has been great.  They have taken all of our returns without question, receipt or not.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"