Stay at Home Moms
Options

question about 1 year old milk switch. please help!!!

So, my son just turned 1 and we started to switch him from formula to milk starting a few days before his birthday. He turned 1 on sunday. He has been so sad ever since. This week has been heII. Hes been crying the majority of the day every day since sunday. hes also waking up at night crying, not going to bed easily at all and just all in all seems miserable. I put a call in to the doctor beause his 1 year appointment isnt until may (wtf?!) and im still waiting for the call back. I think maybe he was getting some new teeth, but he has never actted so miserable for so long for new teeth. hes got 6 already. And also his nose has been like a little faucet the past couple of days too. But no fever, no coughing. And my niece has had a runny nose too - i watch her a couple nights a week. So i figured that was either allergies or just a runny nose.

I feel so at a lose right now. I dont know what to do for my little guy and i feel like there are so many factors into what could be bothering him. And i just dont know what to do. I mean i know he NEEDS to drink milk for his brain development. Is there any other options? He was on senstive formula before, I thought that was still milk based? So how could it be upsetting his stomach now? Also he eats yogurt and cheese no problem. But I am lactos intolerant , so is my neice, brother, and mom.

I just dont know what to do. and I dont know how to figure this out. He is no refusing to drink the milk at all. So since about 2pm yesterday and all day today i haven't given him any and he sleep 12 hours straight last night (thats a 1st! He usally sleeps like 9) and he was happy as a clam this morning. Also why i think its the milk.

I know this post is all over the place, because its all over the place in my head too, and might not make any sence, but if you have any insight in this please help!! I feel so bad for my little guy and im not sure what to do!! Im also really worried about him getting dehydrated! 

Re: question about 1 year old milk switch. please help!!!

• Options

What milk to formula ratio are you giving him? You might just need to do it very slowly, 1 or 2 ounces at a time. It's totally okay (IMO, I"m not a dr.) for kids to take awhile to transition off of formula/BM and onto whole milk.  Could it be an allergy/intolerance?

Also, what about trying an alternative to cow's milk? Goat or almond milk perhaps. As long as he's getting enough fat and calcium elsewhere in his diet he'll be fine. DS is on almond milk because he can't have dairy and he transition well from BM.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It sounds like for your own peace of mind the best thing to do right now is to just give him the formula again. Seeing your child feel bad is so hard, and I don't see any reason to make both of you suffer just because of a guideline about giving them milk at 1 year. A month or two isn't going to make that much difference.

Then once things settle down maybe you can try changing it gradually by introducing a little more milk each day. There's no need to do it all at once.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree- just try putting small amounts of milk into his formula until he gets used to the taste and increase it. If he still is miserable but he can't taste it then you'll know it's an allergy and then try alternatives or lactose free products.

I would call your doctor too. They will schedule your one year out until they can fit you in because it's just a checkup but they can get you in sooner for a current problem I'm sure. You can also ask to talk to a nurse with your question.

Mom of 3 wonderful kids! Claire (6), Alex (4), and Charlie (2). Can't wait to meet our 4th in November! Married to my best friend for 10 years this July! Due November 14th, 2012! BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MJCFMJCF member
    If he's that's miserable stop giving him milk and go back to formula. At DS's last pedi apt she said people feel like kids HAVE to have milk and they don't. She said to just give DS 8oz a day in a cup and if he drinks it fine, if not that's fine also. I would just stick with formula until the next pedi apt. Its not like your lo needs milk all of a sudden because they turned one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I am a little confused. He is refusing it or he isn't? I would just mix a little milk into his formula to get him used to it. Also, they make a toddler formula. My niece uses this because she refuses milk. You might be able to try that.

• Options
    DS was on special formula for his reflux and we kept him on it until he was 14 1/2 months old. So there is no rule that says you need to switch him as soon as he turns 1. If you think the milk is causing your issues, or even if you think you've got too many things changing at once (runny nose, teething, milk change) just go back to 100% formula for a week or even a few weeks. Then when it's time to try again go w/ 25%milk 75% formula for a few days or even a week... then 50/50 then 75/25 each for a week then finally 100% milk and see how he takes it.
  • Options

I would agree that the moo juice seems to be the issue. We didn't fully switch DS to full cow milk until about 16 months due to having had issues on formula early on. Some children's bodies can't handle the milk right away. It can irritate their stomach/intestines.

As PP mentioned, if you want to start weening him you can try other milks, though I'd stay away from soy for boys(can mess with the testosterone) and coconut altogether unless he has problems pooing (it can work as a laxative) most people use almond milk as long as there aren't any nut allergies, though sheep and goat milk are good alternatives as well, sometimes harder to find.

Also remember, that with the less formula LO consumes, the more food he should be offered.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"