Baby Showers
Options

Shower/registry concern

My baby shower is in two weeks and I know that I shouldn't be checking my registry...but don't we all?!  Anyways, I have registered at BRU, Target & Walmart and have noticed that almost nothing has been purchased from any of these!  Although my husband and I have purchased some of the bigger items on our own, I cannot help but worry that there has been hardly anything else purchased yet!  Any thoughts?  Have any of you ladies had the experience that people wait until the last minute to buy?  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Shower/registry concern

• Options

imageEstwd2:
    People are either waiting until the last second or buying something not on your registry.
    This.  I dn't usually buy a gift until the week of.

And it's not a big deal to check your registry.  You know what you asked for - you don't know who got it for you.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I wouldn't think people would be shopping that early. I usually go the week or the day of. Now, where I'm from/my group of friends buy off the registry, but I've read it a million times on here that a lot of people don't, so maybe people don't plan on using them?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not to worry, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people at your shower!  Lots of folks (me included) never look at registries, so it's not a good way to gauge attendance.
  • Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    Not to worry, I'm sure you'll have plenty of people at your shower!  Lots of folks (me included) never look at registries, so it's not a good way to gauge attendance.

:)

• Options

imageRoxyLynn:

Yes, but is she worried that no one is attending or that no one is buying her the stuff that she wants?

• Options

Nothing was purchased off of mine until about 2 days before, and about 1/3 of the items ended up being purchased

• Options
    imageCranang:

imageRoxyLynn:

Yes, but is she worried that no one is attending or that no one is buying her the stuff that she wants?

I'm guessing the worry is that she isn't going to get the exact, color specific, 2-pack of pacifiers that I'm sure she spent months researching.  I mean, why else would you waste all of your time putting together a registry?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    Thank you, ladies!  I am hoping that people are just waiting until the last minute.  I would certainly prefer that they use the registry since I did spend quite a bit of time researching products prior to adding them. 
  • Options

imageFirstTimePregnancy:
    Thank you, ladies!  I am hoping that people are just waiting until the last minute.  I would certainly prefer that they use the registry since I did spend quite a bit of time researching products prior to adding them. 

2 points for me!!!!!!!!

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    imageLiz4444:

imageFirstTimePregnancy:

2 points for me!!!!!!!!

Liz for the win!!!

• Options

imageFirstTimePregnancy:
    I would certainly prefer that they use the registry since I did spend quite a bit of time researching products prior to adding them. 

Yes, but you would've had to do that anyway for your own purchasing.

• Options

imageFirstTimePregnancy:

Then I guess you'll have to buy your own stuff...it's your responsibility anyway.  These people are spending their hard earned money to give you a gift that THEY like.  That's the point of giving gifts.  You should just be thankful for anything someone gives you and move on..not worry that it isn't the right thing. The registry isn't going to be fulfilled completely.  It really should be just more of a guide for you.

• Options
    Every shower I've ever gone to - I've ended up getting the gift the day before. I don't know why I wait, I just do. Most of the time, nothing is left on the registry and I just get a whole mess of things that they can always use and put it in a big basket and hope for the best. I've never had any complaints lol EXCEPT for my FI's brother's girlfriend - I went off her registry because I don't really like her and honestly had no idea how I can make anything seem special and like I put time and effort into it lol 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageFirstTimePregnancy:

My baby shower is in two weeks and I know that I shouldn't be checking my registry...but don't we all?!  Anyways, I have registered at BRU, Target & Walmart and have noticed that almost nothing has been purchased from any of these!  Although my husband and I have purchased some of the bigger items on our own, I cannot help but worry that there has been hardly anything else purchased yet!  Any thoughts?  Have any of you ladies had the experience that people wait until the last minute to buy?  TIA!

Why are you worried?  You shouldn't be counting on shower gifts to provide for your child anyway...

• Options
    Keep in mind that it's also possible people are buying off your registry and just didn't get the items removed from the registry.  My MIL did this, she bought TONS of stuff off my registry and forgot to get it removed.  Also, when we bought for my SIL we gave the cashier the registry to have things removed, she scanned it & the items still didn't come off, so just because you don't see things being purchased off the registry it doesn't mean no one is using it.  They could also be buying the same items at another store or online.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    imageLiz4444:

imageFirstTimePregnancy:

2 points for me!!!!!!!!

Craaaap! That's what I get for going to lunch.

• Options
    I had an early baby shower with the in-laws because we live far and it was the only time we'll travel out there before the baby was born. Anyhow, people didn't buy things off the registry until a few days before or same day as the shower, so I wouldn't worry.
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

I never buy a gift until a few days before an event. Maybe I'm just a procrastinator like that, but honestly, it's still 2 weeks away - people are probably barely aware of it on their calendars.

Also, there is no rule that people have to buy off the registry...

All of this. If I buy before the day of the shower, I consider it a major accomplishment. I'm a major procrastinator too.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Am I the only one that leaves for the shower an hour early so they can pick up the gift on the way there?!  :)  OP, don't stress, yes, it's a huge priority to you, but it's just "an event" for your guests.  They will come, they will bring gifts (some on your registry, some off), and you'll have a blast!
    Brought home an extra special souvenir from vacation! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was recently married and I checked my registry online also.  I remember that most people bought things the day before (or day of) the shower and the wedding. 

I'm like you where I'm a researcher and a planner, but it's like pp's have said....enjoy the shower in that it's spending time with people who care about you and the celebration of your LO, and don't worry about the gifts.  I'm sure whatever you get you'll find a use for.  If you get something that is hideous or you truly have no need for, donate to a women's shelter or a "community baby shower."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"