Baby Names
Options

Shoshana

What do you think of the name Shoshana? It is Hebrew for rose, and the middle name will be Leigh, for my MIL.

Also, can you think of any nicknames for it? I have a couple in mind, but I want to see if anyone has any new ideas. Thanks!

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.

Re: Shoshana

• Options
    It's really NMS at all (but maybe just because I knew a Shoshana and she was kind of a skank...) She went by the nickname Shana (shawna). I think other nn's could be Shae, Shawn, or maybe Ana.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Haha I knew a Shoshana in middle school who was kind of weird, but I really like the name, and rarely used, it seems. My son's name is Ezra, so we are keeping with the Hebrew names. I was also thinking that Hanna could maybe be a nickname too, but it might be a stretch.
    A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecassie.dall:
    Haha I knew a Shoshana in middle school who was kind of weird, but I really like the name, and rarely used, it seems. My son's name is Ezra, so we are keeping with the Hebrew names. I was also thinking that Hanna could maybe be a nickname too, but it might be a stretch.

I think Hanna works. I like that a  lot better than Shoshana. Hanna is cute!

• Options
    imagekaitylin:

imagecassie.dall:

I think Hanna works. I like that a  lot better than Shoshana. Hanna is cute!

I actually have two good friends named Hanna (one is Hannah though), so the name has some good vibes behind it. I really like the traditional-ness (better word? haha) of Shoshana, and my husband really really loves it. But if this baby is a girl, I will probably end up calling her Hanna. Thanks for your input!

• Options
    I knew someone named Shoshana. Her nickname was "Shoshi" (sho-shee). I think it's a pretty name =).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagejulia1818:
    I knew someone named Shoshana. Her nickname was "Shoshi" (sho-shee). I think it's a pretty name =).

Me too. Her parents tried to get everyone to call her Hanna. But once she got to school, she became Shoshi.

• Options

Being the huge movie nerd that I am, I think of her first-- 

which is an AWESOME association! I think more people should use this name. I wouldn't even use a NN--Shoshana is great on it's own! 

• Options
    A cousin of DH's is Shoshana/Shoshi.  She's an odd kid, and it makes me not really like the name.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    I have a friend Shoshana, she goes by Shana.  It's a pretty name.

• Options
    imageHannahO28:

Being the huge movie nerd that I am, I think of her first-- 

which is an AWESOME association! I think more people should use this name. I wouldn't even use a NN--Shoshana is great on it's own! 

Is it bad that this character's badassery is what solidified the name choice? Haha we loved the name, and then we saw this movie and totally fell in love with her.

• Options
    It's one of those names I really want to like, but just don't care for. Sorry.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Options

It is the name of my completey crazy/evil freshman year of college roomate, so I am biased against it.  But, I think it is a normal name.  Not sure if you are Jewish, but if not, 95% of people will assume your daughter is.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I have never met a Shoshana that was not Jewish and I have known a few.   My DH is Jewish (me and DS are not) and we would have no issues with it, but I know people don't like to wear things on the sleeve. 

If you like it, go for it!!   Leigh sounds nice with it.

On NN... I have hear Shoshie (pronouced show she) or Shawna

• Options
    I think it's beautiful! I taught a lovely student with that name.
  • Options
    imageNewlyWeds13:

It is the name of my completey crazy/evil freshman year of college roomate, so I am biased against it.  But, I think it is a normal name.  Not sure if you are Jewish, but if not, 95% of people will assume your daughter is.  Not that it is a bad thing, but I have never met a Shoshana that was not Jewish and I have known a few.   My DH is Jewish (me and DS are not) and we would have no issues with it, but I know people don't like to wear things on the sleeve. 

If you like it, go for it!!   Leigh sounds nice with it.

On NN... I have hear Shoshie (pronouced show she) or Shawna

We are, our kids will most likely all have Hebrew names

• Options
    I like it.  I have known a few Shoshanas who always went by their full names, but I also went all through school with a Shoshana who went by Shani.
    "Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry."
  • Options

imageCiderWench:
    It's one of those names I really want to like, but just don't care for. Sorry.

Yes 

TTC since August 2011 (Me-29, DH-32).
    4/28/2012 - SA: 5% motility.
    5/21/2012 - SA: same results.
    Only shot is IVF (ICSI)
    5/31/2012 - HSG: all clear
    6/22/2012 - appt with RE, confirmed ICSI is necessary.
    8/3/2012 - First IVF Monitoring Appointment
    8/17/2012 - Egg Retrieval (retrieved 23 eggs, 3 made it to freezer)
    8/18/2012 - OHSS - hospitalized, need to wait one cycle to transfer embryo(s) due to OHSS
    8/29/2012 - begin meds for frozen cycle
    10/12/2012 - FET one embryo
    10/24/2012 - Beta #1: 442
    10/26/2012 - Beta #2: 947
    10/29/2012 - Beta #3: 2900!
    11/15/2012 - first u/s: baby measuring perfect, heart rate is right on target
    2/6/2013 - A/S looked perfect. Still team green by choice!
    7/6/2013 - Baby girl born after 44 hours of un-medicated labor, 2 hours of pushing, and emergency c-section due to transverse head.  DD was perfectly healthy at 6 pounds, 14 ounces.  We are thrilled!!
  • Options
    I kind of like it. It's very religious sounding to me, like the equivalent of Jedidiah or something. Not bad, just an association I have with this name.
    BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"