Natural Birth

Movies as pain relief? -EDITED-

I really don't think that music and aromatherapy are going to do anything for me (not trying to sound snarky). I've never been one to find music soothing, even when I'm not in pain but just stressed. I'm also not so sure about a doula, because I really want only DH there (if I could not have any doctors, that would be awesome).

I'm wondering whether movies might have the same effect as music? My favourite movie of all time is freakin' BA and I think I've seen it about fifty times. I always watch it when I'm in a bad mood and it has never failed to make me feel better. It's one of those movies that I might put on while I'm trying to get some housework done, "because I've seen it so many times I don't have to focus on it", but I never get anything done because every five minutes there's an "I can't miss this bit" moment. It's extremely distracting, in a good way. What do you think? Might it work? Has anyone actually done this?

Edited to add a question I forgot: I know it's a myth that you can't have a bath when you're pregnant in case dirty water enters your cervix, or whatever it is they say. But can you continue to take baths (for comfort during labour) after your water has broken? (All I can find online is "if your water breaks in the bath, don't worry about washing yourself, because it's sterile")

Re: Movies as pain relief? -EDITED-

• I think anything that makes you feel safe and comfortable will likely help you get through labor. Just remember that labor can be 12 hrs or more so I'd have several options and various comfort techniques ready to use.

The biggest key to getting through unmedicated is relaxing and not fighting the contractions. So anything that will help you relax is good.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm like you when it comes to movies, and I could see that working for me in early labor. But in my experience, once I hit around 5cm, I was in the zone and wouldn't have been able to concentrate or pay attention. I know my doula had music playing but I didn't even notice it. My entire world was the labor ball, holding my DH's hands, and sips of ice water between contractions.

I guess I'm saying, it could totally work, or not at all, but I guess you have nothing to lose by having your favorite movies on hand!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • A friend of mine did this.  She watched "Practical Magic" while laboring in the bath tub.  It worked for her.  I would have many, many tricks up your sleeve because you won't know what will work until you are actually in labor.  
  • I'm like that with Forrest Gump...it will definitely be with us again for early labor. Once things get more intense I paid less and less attention, and by active labor I was in the zone too. But it was nice to have some movie options for before and post birth.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This is a great idea.  I know I can watch Dirty Dancing on repeat any time, any day.  I'll have to make sure to have it handy on DVD.

• imageBreanneL24:
    The movie "She's the Man" was on repeat during transition and pushing. It's my favorite movie and I always quote it so it was nice to hear those one liners when I was having a hard time.

This is exactly what I want my movie for! So it worked for you? Mine is V for Vendetta, by the way :)

I can just see this happening:
    *I'm mid-contraction, screaming, crying, whatever. DH is rubbing my back. Suddenly my ears prick up*
    Me: "Wait, wait, rewind the DVD a bit... YES! 'No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when your guns are empty I'll no longer be standing. Because if I am... ...you'll all be dead before you've reloaded'. Eeeee! Look, DH! Look at V go!"
    DH: "Yes dear. Ok, how long did that contraction last?"
    Me: "...contraction? Huh?"

I think I'll stock up on Liam Neeson movies, too. I want Liam Neeson to read me bedtime stories, in a completely non-creepy way.

• I spent the first seven hours of labor at home and we watched a movie while I laid on a shower curtain leaking the remaining amniotic fluid from when my water broke. It was great! My husband laid behind me and the warmth of him was so relaxing to my body, we talked about what was happening in the movie and would pause it when I had a contraction that I needed quiet for. I really liked it and it helped the first stages of labor pass faster so I wasn't just sitting around thinking about being in labor.

As for the bath, absolutely!!!!! My water broke before contractions started and I took a bath right before we decided to go to the hospital. Once we were there for a few hours I got in the tub in my room and was in there from 7 to 10 cm and got out to push. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"