Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

induction of labor after baby passes?

Hi all,

I'm officially joining your board today :-(.

I had a feeling that something wasn't right yesterday and called to make an appt for fetal tones.  No cramping or bleeding, just a bad feeling.  I went in today and after they couldn't find the HB, did a u/s and confirmed that the baby passed.  

I am 15 wks and the baby measured at 13 1/2.  

I don't know where to go from here emotionally but I am faced with a decision to either do a D&C or an induction with laminaria and cervidil or cytotec.  I had two previous healthy babies born by c-section and have heard that doing a d&c can cause added scar tissue, which I don't want because I would like to try again.  My question is for anyone who has had a baby pass and then delivered the baby, what was your experience like?  I know that it will be painful and I'm ok with that but the doctor said it could take days in the hospital.  Also is it effective or do you usually end up with a d&c anyways.  I know the nurse was trying to talk me into the d&C but for the scar tissue and other reasons, I just can't do it.

My thoughts and prayers are with all of you ladies, you can never imagine the pain until it happens to you.  I love this baby so much I don't know how to say goodbye. 

BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family

Re: induction of labor after baby passes?

• Options

First off so sorry for your loss.

Second I had discovered I had had a missed miscarriage as well around 9 weeks when I went in for my first u/s at 10wks+5. I didn't want scar tissue so I decided to go with the pill. They had given me cytotec. If you take it vaginally then in about 4 hours you start to feel cramping and bleeding as well. i had ibeuprofin 800mg and also tylonel withu codiene prescribed to me for the pain. 24 hours you take another 4 pills but the bleeding and cramping isnt as bad as before(at least forme). Even with taking this I did have discomfort and could feel some moderate cramping, but im not one to cramp normally so i don't know if that would matter. It took about 8 hours for the tissue and stuff to pass but that part wasn't painful. Then in another hour I had passed more. This as well didn't hurt. The bleeding can get pretty heavy before and right after you pass the tissue and there is quite a bit of clotting but nothing to worry about. Honestly I would do it this way if I had to do it again. I had a checkup today(two days later after taking the pill). They do an ultrasound and bloodwork just to make sure your HCG levels go down and to make sure what needed to be passed was passed. I feel this is the most simplest way to go about. The only downside is if you don't pass everything (typically doesn't happen) but then you have to do a D & C typically. I really hope this helps and if you're afraid of the pain don't be, it wasn't that bad as long as you have something for the pain. Also my doctor had said either one, she didn't lean towards either or just that the D&C could have scar tissue. Good luck and again I'm sorry for your loss.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Thank you for your reply.  They told me I'd have to stay in the hospital since they'd probably give pitocin, did you do that?  

I can't answer the phone and talk to my friends/family, I just can't bring myself to do it.  My DH is being very supportive but I think what's going to get me through is you all.  Again, thank you so much.  And sorry for your loss too. 

BabyFetus Ticker Bravado Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with the other lady, that is maybe because you were further along, maybe that is why they want to give you pitocin. I am sorry I couldn't be more of help because I had had cytotec and didn't need hospitalization. What you are feeling is definately normal. You want to do whats best for now and the future. If you need to vent, this place is definately the place to do it. We are all supportive and unfortunately you had to be in the same boat ad the rest of us. No one should have to go through the pain. Even if you can't talk to anyone right now, venting sure helps the healing (at least for me). Reading that other people are right there with me makes me feel not so alone, because no one in my famliy know the feeling of a loss like this. I wish you the very best! ((hugs))

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I was 18 weeks (baby appeared to be 17 weeks)

I was given the laminaria sticks around 4pm, checked into the hospital at 7am the next morning to have them removed. They started to give me pills to start labor. After three doses of those my water broke at around 8pm that night (13 hours later) and the baby came around 10pm that night.

The worst contractions were the ones that broke my water and because the baby was so small none of the contractions that came after that hurt quite as badly. (I did allow a little bit of pain meds in my IV just to take the edge off. Nothing heavy)

The one good thing was that I was able to deliver the placenta naturally and the doctor deemed that it looked like it was intact and I didn't need any follow up procedures after that.

PhotobucketMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
  • Options
    imageajhaubert:

Thank you for your reply.  They told me I'd have to stay in the hospital since they'd probably give pitocin, did you do that?  

I can't answer the phone and talk to my friends/family, I just can't bring myself to do it.  My DH is being very supportive but I think what's going to get me through is you all.  Again, thank you so much.  And sorry for your loss too. 

I was given pitocin but not until the very end after the baby was delivered they wanted to see if it would help the placenta deliver a little more quickly. I don't know what your hospital's policies are but they may administer it sooner if you develop abnormal bleeding or not at all if things go smoothly.

PhotobucketMilitary Newlyweds FAQ Button
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"