Working Moms

Success stories of being hired while pregnant?

I'm 27 weeks pregnant and scheduled to go on a couple face to face interviews soon. I'm highly qualified for the job but they made it clear via telephone there are serveral applicants. I'm in the architecture industry so there are many looking for work so this is even harder with a visible baby bump. Any success stories put there? How did you make it through the interview process - any advice on how to talk or not talk about my pregnancy? Sorry for formatting, bumping from phone. 

Re: Success stories of being hired while pregnant?

• I have a positive and negative exp for you.

I got laid off at 20 weeks preg.  I had a job intv and got hired at 23 weeks preg.  I hated the job and at 30 weeks I kept the job and started interviewing again.  I intervied for a wonderful dream job at 34 weeks and impressed the interviewer (he said so) and I was convinced I got the job....not!  I never heard anything back.  Then 5 months later out of the blue they called me and hired me. 

So moral of the story is, you can get a job while pregnant.  But it may not be for the best company.  Don't let it discourage you.  While you may not be hired right away you make an impression and who knows what could happen. 

PS 7 months later I am still at job#2 and very very very happy here.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I posted about this earlier this week. I went for an interview yesterday and it went really, really well, and already have my 2nd interview scheduled for Monday. Im only 14 weeks along, and was able to hide my belly just fine. I plan on telling them that I am pregnant once there is an offer in hand. I honestly felt bad not telling them yesterday during my interview, but I knew I couldnt tell just yet. I would love to hear some success stories too! I actually googled "interviewing while pregnant" the other day and found alot of positive stories on babycenter.com. So you can always go there too to read some positive, encouraging stories!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

View Raw Image'>

• Loading the player...
  • I was recruited by a company, went in for an interview at roughly 27 weeks pregnant. They said I was their top choice but decided to "table the position" until first quarter 2012. I followed up with them in December and they didn't have a headcount opening to hire someone. Fast forward to February and they brought me in for another interview. I start with them on April 16. They were waiting to hire me until I returned from maternity leave.
    Nicole 32| Julian 29
    Cooper: 11/20/11
    Julian: EDD 8/1/16
    PCOS & Endo. w/ DOR

• Thanks for all of your replies! I've also been googling and there seem to be so many positive stories. 

Here's hoping this is the 'right' company.  

• I interviewed when I was 20ish weeks pregnant and I had a somewhat obvious bump.  The didn't know that I was pregnant throughout the interview because I was seated at the table when they came in, but they saw my belly when I stood up to leave.  At that point I felt somewhat comfortable and liked my interviewers so I mentioned my pregnancy.  I got the job. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just got hired for a new teaching job. I interviewd at 27 weeks and was OBVIOUSLY pregnant :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I got hired for my current job when I was 17 weeks.  When they called with the offer and I accepted... that is when I told them.  But it was human resources that I told and that HR was hgoing to tell the manager.  Also, it is with the Cleveland Clinic and I worked for them in the past for years... and my job is in high demand so they really needed me.  Hope this helps.  FYI.. 14 years ago when i wax prego with my 1st I went on some interviews and was offered the positions... so go ahead and go for it!!!! Good luck 
  • I don't know if this will be at all helpful to you, as I am in landscape architecture and companies tend to be smaller, unless you are looking at an interdisciplinary firm with multiple offices.

Second week of January, I got a call from a firm (sole proprietor) that I had interviewed with last summer. Last year they told me they liked me but were looking for someone with more experience. So I figured that was the end of it. When they called me I was 23 weeks along and pretty obviously pregnant. They had an opening at my level, the woman I was replacing is a friend from school and knew that I might still be looking for work. Also this is a company that prefers to advertise openings by word of mouth, as they don't really have the resources to sift through hundreds of resumes.

I figured it would be best to just come out and mention the pregnancy, as I had nothing to lose at this point. They said, come in, we'll chat. So I went in and said I would love to work with you but obviously I will need some flexibility for my checkups and I want to make sure that this will work for both of us. They said no problem and made me an offer, which I accepted, and we agreed on a schedule that seems to have worked well for everyone.

Bottom line, I just went with my gut instinct on this one. That may or may not be the right approach for you, but I have found in the past that when I try to be what I think an employer wants I risk ending up in a culture that might not be the best fit.

My advice -- do exhaustive research on the company before you go in for that interview. Is anyone in your network a current or former employee? Talk to them. Get a sense of the management culture, the communication culture, and whether they know of anyone who needed to take FMLA for any reason, and whether that person got the support and accommodations they needed in order to take care of their family and transition back to work when they were ready. Do people do a lot of OT, or are their workloads realistic so they can have a life outside of the office? The more you know going in, the better equipped you'll be when you go in for the real interview.

• I'm a lawyer and interviewed for a new job at 14 weeks.  As it was more important to me to take 12 weeks off for leave than to get the new job, I was up front about my pregnancy and the time off I would need.  They hired me, I got my leave (paid, but that is pretty specific to law firms I think) and came back.  Worked out well for everyone.  If you are the right fit, and especially if you have an in-demand skill set -  companies are often more flexible than I oringially thought!
  • I interviewed twice while I was pregnant and didn't get either job, but don't let that deter you. 

My current job, I was called for while I was in the hospital postpartum and I told them I couldn't make the interview 3 days later since baby would be 5 days old but I would be happy to do a phone interview.  They said sure, I interviewed with 7 people on the line and 2 weeks later was invited in for a 2nd interview.  They all knew I had a 2.5 week old at home and didn't care, they hired me anyway and I started following my maternity leave (and a few weeks of clean up work at my other job). 

My dad is retired now but he hired 3 pregnant women in the 80's (when it was much less of the norm...) he encouraged me to interview while pregnant because in his words "the right candidate is the right candidate and a company will accomodate if they really want you".

• I interviewed and got a job offer when I was 7 months pregnant.  I negotiated to start when my baby was 6 months old.  It was an academic position and it meant delaying my start by a semester.  It was a win-win situation for everyone.
  • I have gotten two jobs while pregnant - the first was at 18 weeks (and I was showing) and the second time I was 21 weeks (and is for my current company, which is an  awesome company).

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
  • This is somewhat different, but I was hired by a law firm for an attorney position when they knew that I was actively in the process of adopting a newborn.  I didn't bring it up during the interview process, but they knew because one of the partners was an acquaintance of mine who adopted, and I contacted her when we decided to adopt to ask some questions.  I also told her when we signed up with the same consultant she used, so at the time I interviewed, they knew that I might need to drop everything at any time to go pick up a baby that was being placed with us.  Honestly, we would have put our adoption plans on hold for six months or so had I gone to work with any other firm and wouldn't have brought this issue up at all during interviews, but this firm was very understanding since one of the partners had recently gone through the entire process. 

I wouldn't talk about your pregnancy at all unless it is to let them know that you are able to accept less than standard maternity leave or something like that.  For example, my husband was going to be a stay at home dad, so I was able to take just four weeks off.  If I were visibly pregnant during an interview and knew that I could be very flexible and take only four weeks off, I would make that known during the interview.  Otherwise, they will just assume that you will likely want a full 12 week maternity leave. 

• I work in the A+D industry and was laid off in December. I've had luck getting temp consulting work and about a dozen interviews but no full-time permanent offers. I did have one company that brought me in for a drug screen/background check and at that point I let them know I was pregnant. I called and emailed to follow up but they never contacted me again. 

I agree with PP, do research on the company and don't bring it up until you have an offer. With so many people out of work in this industry there's no reason to give them an excuse not to hire you. GL

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I interviewed for a job at a hedgefund at 29 weeks pregnant from a totally different background (phd in biochem).  I was obviously pregnant and warned them prior to the final interview that I would need some time off in may/june. I was hired and started working at 32 weeks. I'm working 8 weeks, and then taking 8 weeks off. It can be done! I should add that I had to do a trial project that required about 2 weeks of work- so I had kind of 'proved' myself before announcing I was pregnant. I think its fair to ignore your pregnancy status (if possible) before the final round... but in a company this small, it really couldnt be ignored at the end.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"