Blended Families
Options

a big couple of weeks

We went on vacation with ILs last week.  (Side note: ILs suck.  They like to bad mouth BM and me whenever they don't like my decisions.)

SD and I were working on a project for school while we were away.  Just a little here and there, every day.  She had to make a poster about Amelia Earhart and she'll give a presentation on it.  She gets extra credit for making a costume and wearing it to give her presentation.

So we worked all week on the poster.  It looks awesome.  We also made a little biplane costume using an empty diaper box.

On vacation SD asked me one night after we finished working on her project if she could tell me a secret.  I said of course.  She says "Don't tell my mom but you're a better mom than she is.  You do more stuff with me."

I responded that it wasn't a matter of better or worse, that we're just different and have different circumstances.  For instance, I have fewer demands on my time because I don't have as many children.

But inside I was absolutely flying. 

Last night we finished up her costume and practiced her presentation.  She was absolutely beaming when we put her to bed and she thanked me so genuinely for all the help.  Melt my heart.

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.

Re: a big couple of weeks

• Options

Good response on your part! I know I'd have to hold my tongue for a second to keep myself from saying what I really think about BM!

DH and I just remind ourselves that when the kids get older they'll realize who really had their best interests at heart during their childhoods. BM is very much more of a friend than a parent to them and though she keeps them happy with fast food and lots of TV, in the long run that won't matter.

Good luck to your SD with her presentation!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerachi1285:

Good response on your part! I know I'd have to hold my tongue for a second to keep myself from saying what I really think about BM!

DH and I just remind ourselves that when the kids get older they'll realize who really had their best interests at heart during their childhoods. BM is very much more of a friend than a parent to them and though she keeps them happy with fast food and lots of TV, in the long run that won't matter.

This is what I tell my MIL when she feels the need to diss BM in front of my SD.  Let her be, woman, she will figure it out on her own!!!

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think you had the perfect response. It was good that you kept it very even and civil wether or not she deserved it. It only hurts the kids when we say anything negative about a parent. (true or not)

• Options
    That's really sweet, I bet it made your day :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagerachi1285:

Very well said!  Obviously this little girl has already figured it out!  And so sweet for her to tell you so.  I give you credit for such a great response...I would like to think that in the same situation I would say the same thing.

love it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"