Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Stupid WWYD question

This is silly, but I don't know what to do. We were invited to friend's house this weekend for dinner. My kids both go to bed early-ish, it's what we need to do to stay sane (both for our sake and theirs). My 2 year old is more flexible, I worry much less about keeping him up late. But once it's 5:00 or so, LO gets very fussy. We do his bath routine and have him in bed at 6 every night, it works well for us, we avoid his fussy time, and he sleeps well. If we go to the friend's house, we won't be able to go until 4 or so (it's 30 mins away), and we won't be home until probably 7:30. I worry about the nightmare that is going to be the baby. My DH wants to just go, because he has that kind of attitude. I'm less likely to do it, I took both boys to a play date a few weeks ago and it was a complete nightmare.

So WWYD, knowing very well that the baby might be a fussy mess. Should I suck it up and go?

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Stupid WWYD question

• Options
    Can you get a babysitter and just you and your hubby go? If they ask you can just say that LO goes to bed at X time and you didn't want to disturb dinner with a crying baby.
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    will the baby fall asleep in the carseat or in a bouncer (if you bring it with you)?  We had a potluck dinner at daycare earlier this week from 6-8 (we also start DD's routine around 6 and she's asleep by 7).  I just figured we'd see how it went and it was actually fine.  She never fussed, just eventually fell asleep with my husband holding her.  We got her in the carseat and in the house without waking her up, but she did wake up once I put her in the crib, but a few minutes of rocking and she was fine.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have them come to your house instead. It would be much easier for you in the long run...
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If it were me, I'd just go. It's only one night and you'd have the rest of the weekend to nap if it was a rough night.

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• Options

First, I'd try to get a babysitter. If I couldn't get one, I'd go and hope that I could get the baby to sleep in his car seat. If sleeping inthe car seat doesn't work, then my husband and I would take turns dealing with the fussy baby. I think it's important for parents to be able to maintain some sort of social life.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageallisonty11:
    If it were me, I'd just go. It's only one night and you'd have the rest of the weekend to nap if it was a rough night.

This. Sometimes you just have to get out! We normally start DD's bedtime routine at 7 but last night I went to dinner with my mom and didn't get home until 9. Yeah it made the night more complicated and it took 1.5 hours to get DD to sleep but it's better than being a prisoner to your house. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageFabulousMrs.P:
    Can you get a babysitter and just you and your hubby go? If they ask you can just say that LO goes to bed at X time and you didn't want to disturb dinner with a crying baby.

Sadly, no. He won't take a bottle.

He hates his carseat, but might be ok with a bouncy seat or just being held. I'm thinking of just going and hoping for the best.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Ya, it's not so much putting him to bed later that I'm worried about, it's dealing with him in those hours where he's tired and wants to go to bed and is fussy. I'm hoping he just surprises me and falls asleep relatively easy, then we can put him to bed once we get home.

I'm just worried he's going to cry and be un-soothable. But everyone's right, we need to maintain some sort of life too.

• Options
    imagel_elizabeth:

Ya, it's not so much putting him to bed later that I'm worried about, it's dealing with him in those hours where he's tired and wants to go to bed and is fussy. I'm hoping he just surprises me and falls asleep relatively easy, then we can put him to bed once we get home.

I'm just worried he's going to cry and be un-soothable. But everyone's right, we need to maintain some sort of life too.

I get it, but I'd just go and be prepared to leave if things get out of hand.  That's all you can really do!

AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    imageMrsT2008:
    imagel_elizabeth:

I get it, but I'd just go and be prepared to leave if things get out of hand.  That's all you can really do!

You're right. I RSVPed yes. Here's to hoping it goes well! :)

• Options
    Could you bring a pack-n-play or bouncer that your LO will sleep in?  Maybe try to put baby down at their house and then you can have a little more time with your friends.  Bring pj's for both kids and hopefully they'll fall asleep in the car on the way home.  And if all else fails, you can always head home.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"