High-Risk Pregnancy

Concerned (Epilepsy)...ugh...

I see a MFM doctor and Neurologist regularly, on top of my normal OB, since being pregnant. I had my 20 week scan and baby is looking godd-thank goodness! (there is a heightened rate of birth defects for women with Epilepsy, on medication to help control it). Yesterday I woke up from a nap-as I have been incredibly sleep deprived as of late-and felt the same way I did when I had seizures before (that is all I can compare it to). It happened again this morning...which prompted me to call my Neurologist to see him ASAP. Of course, his office is CLOSED today! I am so angry and nervous. My gut is telling me that I am now having seizures in my "sleep" and I am worried about the well-being of our LO as a result. I just needed to vent and get this off my chest. Does anyone else out there have Epilepsy (while pregnant)? Anyway-thanks for reading! Have a good one, ladies :)
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Concerned (Epilepsy)...ugh...

• sjpsjp member
    I do---I am on Keppra, and am not doing well with it--the neurologist lowered my dosage but I started getting siezures again. :( it has been a rough couple of months. With that said, can you call your MFM today? they should also be able to help you.  Mine is pretty well versed on pregnancy and epilepsy.
    BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesjp:
    I do---I am on Keppra, and am not doing well with it--the neurologist lowered my dosage but I started getting siezures again. :( it has been a rough couple of months. With that said, can you call your MFM today? they should also be able to help you.  Mine is pretty well versed on pregnancy and epilepsy.

I am on Keppra also. Topamax worked REAL well for me (aside my hating the side effects, it did its job)...I was switched to Keppra probably for the same reason as you-its one of the only meds considered "safe" for epiliepsy while pregnant. I started on a lower dose and it was increased after the first trimester, but I fear we will need to increase it once more. I have HMO insurance so I needed to obtain a referral regardless today-I am going to try to get in to see my Neurologist first thing in the morning...thanks for mentioning the MFM doctor-I should all him tomorrow too to let them know whats going on and to see if they want to check on baby, etc. My regular OB was notified by me today. I just dont like being concerned-have you had any seizures since being pregnant? Thanks SO much for writing on my post (such a relief to know I am not alone in this (sometimes it feels like I am).

• Loading the player...
  • I just realized you said you were having them again-what do they recommend to do when you have a seizure? I am just so concerned it will effect our LO!
  • sjpsjp member

Hey--My siezures are petite mal (i think that is what they are called) and only last for a few seconds.  I am terrified of the decreased blood flow to LO when I get them. My dosage was adjusted again today so hopefully that helps.  I have an appt with the MFM tomorrow who will do a complete scan to see how LO is doing.  I am honestly scared.  This is my third (and Last) LO and I was only diagnosed with eplilpsy after I got pregnant (long story--I was being tested for over a year)--I didnt know I was having siezures, I thought they were black out spells due to blood pressure drops or something.  PM me if you want and I will send you my email addy.  Sorry if this isnt much of a help, but I am also trying to figure things out along the way!

BFP#1 twins--m/c Baby B-- DC#1 DS 03/22/05 BFP#2 m/c 2006 BFP#3/DC#2 DD 10/22/09 BFP #4! EDD 9/15/12 at 9 dpo BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do, and I am on Lamictal. I was on Lamictal during my 1st pregnancy as well (well, I've been on it since I developed a seizure disorder at 23). My LG came out perfect. From the research I did, and from my neurologist (I see a neurologist out of Toronto Western Hospital clinic), the increase risk is cleft lip/palate. 

Chances are your neurologist will adjust your meds. I hope you're not having them again, and I hope you get in to see him soon. I would also call your doctor to do an OB check (NST and u/s would probably be a good thing to ask for).

As for what I was advised to do if I was to have a seizure during pregnancy, is go to the hospital if it is an out of character seizure. If it is a "normal" (to me) seizure, then just call my doctor and neurologist. They will determine if I need to go in. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"