Working Moms

Are the backyard playsets worth it?

We're thinking of getting one of the big Rainbow type playsets.  We are not within walking distance of a park and we like the convenience of having something right here.  Our backyard is fenced and pretty big.  We're in TX so we can play outside all year.  As a child I spent a ton of time on my swing set and playing in the backyard.  We are also bulding a new deck so I am picturing myself drinking wine with friends while the kids play on the swings and slides.  Lol.  What do you guys think?  Is it worth it?  Any recommendations on quality brands?

Re: Are the backyard playsets worth it?

• We just got a used swing set off Craigslist and I'm very excited! I have the same vision as you of sitting watching them play. Playdates will be a lot of fun too. With your kids still being young, I think it's worth it. I would have loved to get a new one, but it wasn't in the budget.

I did a lot of research and really liked swing sets from Cedarworks, Woodplay, and Triumph Play Systems. I'm in New England though, so I'm not sure of availability in Texas. I have the price sheets, so if you'd like to know prices before you even bother getting a catalog, let me know. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We got one for DS (he's 2) about three months ago and we love it. We go out there every night to play after we get home. It's so convenient to have it right there. No need to pack him in and out of the car to go to and from the playground.

We got a nice big one that DS will grow into so it should last a long time. I say do it! :-)

ETA- We got ours from kids creations. They are pricey, but there is a life time warranty on the wood, which in FL, we definitely will need. And the wood is from and treated in the US and not in China, kwim?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejennynorene:
    We are also bulding a new deck so I am picturing myself drinking wine with friends while the kids play on the swings and slides.  Lol.  
    Don't LOL - this is kind of what I do. :) We have a playset, but it came w/ the house.  Unfortunately, it's for slightly older kids.  No swing or slide, even though we're contemplating trying to find a company to add on a swing.

But ... it has a ladder and a "fort", and a sandbox underneath.  I host an occasional "happy hour playdate" on nice Friday afternoons, and a few of us just hang out, have a couple drinks, while the kids all play and run around the yard.

It's awesome! 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• So worth it. Our neighbors have one and my son is over there all the time. Just make sure you get a good quality one or treat the wood after purchasing. A few friends got cheap playgrounds at Walmart and only 1-2 years later, they look awful and the wood is splitting in places. 

Jen
    www.fillingthetank.com 

www.1creativemomma.blogspot.com
  • We got one super cheap off of CL about 3 weeks ago and DS is in love as are our the two smaller kids on our street.

We planned on waiting until our next house and then getting a nicer one but this one was such a deal we couldn't pass it up.

• So worth it!  We recently got a new one, and we are out there every day enjoying the weather! Our neighbors love it too :)  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My ILs are buying us one as a gift for the new baby.  I think it was one of the best ideas they've ever had!  DS is going to love it, and it will be so much easier than dragging both kids to the playground, which is over a mile away. 
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"