Natural Birth
Options

NB on 16 & Pregnant

I am extremely impressed....this 17 year old girl did an amazing job.

She did stay put in her hospital bed for the birth but she handled it very well and that position didn't seem to hinder her at all .......

Impressed. Very impressed. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NB on 16 & Pregnant

• Options
    I saw this last night! I too was impressed... :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What was her name? I want to watch it online. I can't believe it! I'm so impressed someone so young would choose to have a NB. Did she say why? 
                                                                                   4.24.12                                                                            5.7.14
                  imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby #2 Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

imageimageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageTrendyTina:
    What was her name? I want to watch it online. I can't believe it! I'm so impressed someone so young would choose to have a NB. Did she say why? 

It's episode 2 of season 4 online. I think her name was Katie. She didn't say anything about it. She had a midwife and breastfed, too.

I was giving a MAJOR side eye to the nurse in this episode though. The girl goes in thinking her water broke, and before the nurse even had the results of the fluid test she asks if the girl wants an epidural.Hmm When she says no, the nurse says something like, "So is that a maybe?" and the girl said, "It's a no for now." And the nurse says, "You can change your mind later."

• Options
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageTrendyTina:

It's episode 2 of season 4 online. I think her name was Katie. She didn't say anything about it. She had a midwife and breastfed, too.

I was giving a MAJOR side eye to the nurse in this episode though. The girl goes in thinking her water broke, and before the nurse even had the results of the fluid test she asks if the girl wants an epidural.Hmm When she says no, the nurse says something like, "So is that a maybe?" and the girl said, "It's a no for now." And the nurse says, "You can change your mind later."

Here you go :) https://www.mtv.com/videos/16-and-pregnant-season-4-ep-2-katie/1681876/playlist.jhtml#series=2211&seriesId=27285&channelId=1

And I had the same exact reaction. Idk if it was just me, but I also got the sense that those two nurses 100% believed that she could not have a med-free birth, and that really pissed me off.  

• Options
    imagefunkymonkeyohyeahhh:

imageTrendyTina:

That eels bothered me as well. I'm pretty sure she knew the epi would be there if she changed her mind. I'm glad she proved them wrong! 

• Options
    I totally cried during that birth scene.  And, I thought the nurse was very rude.  I was so proud of this girl.  And, it showed giving birth in a realistic light, as well.

Missing our little turkey.
    Estimated Due Date 11/13/12 | Natural Miscarriage 4/17/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageTrendyTina:

She said women have been doing it for centuries, so why couldn't she?

It was cute, I was so proud of her! I think both girls BF, which was pretty awesome. I never would've thought to do either when I was that age!

• Options
    L0L0L0L0 member
    She also said in the scene where she's leaving the hospital that because she didn't get an epidural, she felt well enough to leave the hospital the next day. I thought she did great, especially considering the nurse's attitude and resistance to her wishes! I think I would have caved and gotten the epidural if any of my medical team had undermined me like that, because it's hard to undergo that pain when you know there's a way out of it. 
  • Options

imageL0L0:
    She also said in the scene where she's leaving the hospital that because she didn't get an epidural, she felt well enough to leave the hospital the next day. I thought she did great, especially considering the nurse's attitude and resistance to her wishes! I think I would have caved and gotten the epidural if any of my medical team had undermined me like that, because it's hard to undergo that pain when you know there's a way out of it. 

I think she did great job with little support.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageTrendyTina:

Thanks! ;) I turned 18 right around 8 weeks and have planned a natural birth at a birth center with midwives from the beginning. I'm also planning on breastfeeding, cloth diapering, cosleeping, and placenta encapsulation. I'm taking your compliment personally. Not all young moms are as bad as some that you see in the media. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Now I need to go watch this! My good friend that turned me on to NB had her first as a single mom at 17 and went natural by choice. She's pregnant with her 4th now (she's in her 30's) and has had completely NBs with each child. She always says it's the coolest thing she'll ever do so she wanted to feel everything- at 17 I'm not sure it would have crossed my mind!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image image
  • Options
    I just watched the clip online. She did great! I'm really impressed, especially given her age. At 17 or whatever, there would be NO way I could've had a NB. I barely pulled through with DS at 28.
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Options
    I was also impressed at the fact she breastfed! Very awesome episode indeed.
  • Options

I'm only 2 minutes in (literally) and I love them both already. They're talking about birth control and they both seem so mature. Definitely throws the "anyone who gets pregnant before age X is just young and stupid and obviously thought they couldn't get pregnant" stereotype out of the window.

IMO, Nurse "You Can Change Your Mind" wasn't trying to be an asshat, she was just reassuring her the epi was an option. You see so many TV births where for some reason they can't do an epi and the mother is screaming out for one, that I think the nurse just wanted her to know it's not really a case of "you have to have your mind made up right this moment: do you want one or not?".

Like other PPs, I applaud her for doing this so young. I guess you could say I'm a young MTB too (I just turned 21), but I'm just amazed that she knew about going drug-free. Until I found the Bump and this board I didn't even know that the drugs they use in labour can harm the baby. I honestly had no idea why people "went natural". I really can't imagine that researching the drugs would be the first thing to enter my mind (if it did at all!) if I was 16 when I got pregnant. Massive, massive kudos to her, and for breastfeeding, too. I basically want her to be my new BFF.

To the PP who said she just turned 18... All I can say is Yes . Serious Yes

• Options
    I saw the part about the nurse too. I hate how they try to convince you to do it their way...makes me so mad!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"